LinkBack Thread Tools
(#371 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-15-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
I'm sorry, but I seem to be unable to read this.
What language is this?
I believe it's Spanish, which I can't read either. Having a response in Spanish wouldn't be surprising, but the quoted text of yours is also in Spanish. This only makes things more confusing.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#372 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2009, 06:19 AM

[QUOTE = YuriTokoro; 563927] Hola, soy Yuri de Japón.
I cant't entender esta frase:
"¿Cómo una creencia en la suerte cambiar la forma en que una persona reacciona a la fortuna buena o mala?"

¿Qué significa "una creencia en la suerte" significa?
¿Quiere decir como "para creer que soy feliz" o "para creer que hay gente suerte y la gente mala suerte"???
Cualquiera, ayúdame, por favor.: Confused:
¡Gracias! [/ QUOTE]

yes this is spanish. I can't tell precisely which spanish it is (i.e. Spanish spoken in Spain and Spanish spoken in Mexico vary slightly), i'm not exactly what you would call fluent lol. Which is kind of strange considering I live in a town in which 80% of the residents are hispanic.

Back to the question, it seems the first question "¿Cómo una creencia en la suerte cambiar la forma en que una persona reacciona a la fortuna buena o mala?" is asking "How does a belief in luck change the way a person reacts to good or bad fortune?"

Qué significa "una creencia en la suerte" significa? Basically means, "What does "a belief in luck" mean? More formally What does "a belief in luck" signify?".

Lastly Quiere decir como "para creer que soy feliz" o "para creer que hay gente suerte y la gente mala suerte", this one is kind of confusing to me but what I get out of it is "What does it mean "to believe that I am happy" or "to believe that people are lucky or unlucky?"

The rest is an essay response to the questions.

I hope this helps. Sorry, I know its confusing to read.
(#373 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2009, 09:02 AM

It's an translation of an older post into spanish, about believing in luck or not.

Is says, that it if you're positive,you will attract good luck/fortune.
Last part says that some people believe in shaping their own destiny, and that this is done by themself (cause-effect) and has nothing to do with luck.
(#374 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-18-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
yes this is spanish. I can't tell precisely which spanish it is (i.e. Spanish spoken in Spain and Spanish spoken in Mexico vary slightly), i'm not exactly what you would call fluent lol. Which is kind of strange considering I live in a town in which 80% of the residents are hispanic.

Back to the question, it seems the first question "¿Cómo una creencia en la suerte cambiar la forma en que una persona reacciona a la fortuna buena o mala?" is asking "How does a belief in luck change the way a person reacts to good or bad fortune?"

Qué significa "una creencia en la suerte" significa? Basically means, "What does "a belief in luck" mean? More formally What does "a belief in luck" signify?".

Lastly Quiere decir como "para creer que soy feliz" o "para creer que hay gente suerte y la gente mala suerte", this one is kind of confusing to me but what I get out of it is "What does it mean "to believe that I am happy" or "to believe that people are lucky or unlucky?"

The rest is an essay response to the questions.

I hope this helps. Sorry, I know its confusing to read.
Thank you for translating, redline.
I have never seen or read Spanish. I have heard Spanish is similar to English, but it doesn’t seem to be any similar.
Thank you again.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#375 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-18-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9876 View Post
It's an translation of an older post into spanish, about believing in luck or not.

Is says, that it if you're positive,you will attract good luck/fortune.
Last part says that some people believe in shaping their own destiny, and that this is done by themself (cause-effect) and has nothing to do with luck.
Thank you, MC9876.
Is your avatar Soldier Blue?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#376 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-18-2009, 05:43 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"We are entering the realm of the unknown."

Yukio Hatoyama took office as prime minister, and gave his inaugural address on Sep 16. “We are entering the realm of the unknown” is a part of the speech.
He talked he would achieve to avert involvement in bureaucratic meddling in politics, and stop wasting tax money. He promised to make best efforts with sense of responsibility.
And then, he said he might fail soemthing learning by mistake. After this, he continued, “We are entering the realm of the unknown.” Then he said he wanted people to be tolerant.
You would feel strange to hear this, wouldn’t you? This is the Japanese way to say.
I think an American President would never say like this.
Some Japanese people don’t like a person who has too much confidence when the person begins something. For example, a Japanese new recruit would say he/she doesn’t know anything, does need help, and doesn’t have any confidence, even if he/she knows well about the business and has confidence. If you say you are full of confidence when you are new, you arouse opposition.
Despite that, I believe “We might fail” was extravagance.

This is the inaugural address in Japanese. Sorry, we don’t have it in English.
http://www.hatoyama.gr.jp/speech/090916.html

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#377 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

Yukio Hatoyama took office as prime minister, and gave his inaugural address on September 16th. “We are entering the realm of the unknown” was a part of his speech.
He promised to reduce bureaucratic meddling in politics, eliminate the practice of wasting tax revenue, and to make the best effort with a sense of responsibility.
He did acknowledge that mistakes will be made, but he will learn from them. It was then that he said “We are entering the realm of the unknown.”, and asked for people to be tolerant.
This would be an odd things to hear, right? This is the Japanese way of speaking. I believe an American president would not speak in this way.
Some Japanese people don’t like a person who displays too much confidence when beginning something. For example, a Japanese person new to a company would say he or she has no knowledge, needs help, and is not confident even if he or she knows the business well and is confident. If you say you are full of confidence when you are new, you arouse suspicion.
Despite that, I believe saying “We might fail” is extravagant.

This is the inaugural address in Japanese. Sorry, we don’t have it in English.
http://www.hatoyama.gr.jp/speech/090916.html

Thank you.
I see in this post many examples of parallel construction, which is greatly encouraging. As a result, I have tried to keep that structure in mind while doing revisions.

Most of the revisions done were to reduce or change the words in sentences in order to have them read easier and link together in a natural way. Also, I change "he/she" to "he or she" for essentially the same reason. Grammatically, there's little difference but changing the "/" to "or" is easier to say and is less jarring to eye when reading the post.

However, I am unsure of my revisions at the end of the post:

"If you say you are full of confidence when you are new, you arouse suspicion."

I changed "opposition" to "suspicion" based on the belief that people who see a new recruit express confidence right from the beginning could be thought of as arrogant. The established individuals in a company could be thinking "How can he know so much about our business if we haven't seen him before?"

"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is extravagant."

This sentence seems to introduce a concept that is the exact opposite of overconfidence; that is, being more sure of failure in something. I am not sure how the concept of "extravagance" (or having a conspiciously large amount of something) can be an accurate description of the person's belief in this situation. More explanation may be needed, or some way to contrast displaying a strong belief in failure with displaying humility before beginning a task or joining a new business group.

(#378 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

09-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is extravagant."

This sentence seems to introduce a concept that is the exact opposite of overconfidence; that is, being more sure of failure in something. I am not sure how the concept of "extravagance" (or having a conspiciously large amount of something) can be an accurate description of the person's belief in this situation. More explanation may be needed, or some way to contrast displaying a strong belief in failure with displaying humility before beginning a task or joining a new business group.
I believe what she meant is that the Prime Minister was taking polite humility to an inappropriate (extravagant) extent by suggesting failure. He doesn't actually expect to fail - he just didn't want to seem impolitely confident.

Some suggestions:
"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is excessive."
"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is taking it too far."
"Despite that, I believe he went too far by saying 'We might fail.'"

I think 'extravagant' is normally used with the meaning of 'opulent' or 'lavish' (positive) or 'wasteful' (negative).
(#379 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbzk View Post
I believe what she meant is that the Prime Minister was taking polite humility to an inappropriate (extravagant) extent by suggesting failure. He doesn't actually expect to fail - he just didn't want to seem impolitely confident.

Some suggestions:
"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is excessive."
"Despite that, I believe saying 'We might fail' is taking it too far."
"Despite that, I believe he went too far by saying 'We might fail.'"

I think 'extravagant' is normally used with the meaning of 'opulent' or 'lavish' (positive) or 'wasteful' (negative).
So that was a quote from the speech, along with her opinion on it. I understand now.

(#380 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-20-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I see in this post many examples of parallel construction, which is greatly encouraging. As a result, I have tried to keep that structure in mind while doing revisions.
Koir, thanks! As always!

Quote:
However, I am unsure of my revisions at the end of the post:

"If you say you are full of confidence when you are new, you arouse suspicion."

I changed "opposition" to "suspicion" based on the belief that people who see a new recruit express confidence right from the beginning could be thought of as arrogant. The established individuals in a company could be thinking "How can he know so much about our business if we haven't seen him before?"
“Suspicion” may not be what I meant.
“Suspicion” would be natural in your culture, but in Japan, in many cases, I think it would be “ill feeling” and “almost hostility”.
I have forgotten writing that’s co-workers’ feeling, not bosses’, so I was confusing you. I’m sorry.

And I shouldn’t have written “too much” in this sentence.
“Some Japanese people don’t like a person who displays too much confidence when beginning something.”
This “too much” should have been “any”. Sorry!

Many people in anime films and manga display confidence, but that’s not common here.

Quote:
He did acknowledge that mistakes will be made, but he will learn from them.
Doesn’t this sentence confuse readers when the last sentence is “Despite that, I believe he went too far by saying “we might fail”.?
Doesn’t this sentence need to say “we might fail” in a direct style?

What do you think?:

Yukio Hatoyama took office as prime minister, and gave his inaugural address on September 16th. “We are entering the realm of the unknown” was a part of his speech.
He promised to reduce bureaucratic meddling in politics, eliminate the practice of wasting tax revenue, and to make the best effort with a sense of responsibility.
He did acknowledge “we might fail through a trial and error process”. It was then that he said “We are entering the realm of the unknown.”, and asked for people to be tolerant.
This would be an odd thing to hear, right? This is the Japanese way of speaking. I believe The President of the U.S. would not speak in this way.
Some Japanese people don’t like a person who displays any confidence when beginning something. For example, a Japanese person new to a company would say he or she has no knowledge, needs help, and is not confident even if he or she knows the business well and is confident. If you say you are full of confidence when you are new, you arouse ill feeling.
Despite that, I believe he went too far by saying “we might fail”.

I YamaP