JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

Native English Help Needed! - 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM

I'm doing a Japanese-to-English translation for my Tokyo neighbor for his daughter's English speech in school (junior high). I am uncertain if a few of my translated sentences sound natural to the English-speaking ear. Please correct and/or give advice to make them better.

Thanks in advance!  よろしくお願い致します。

1. "But then, mornings aren't my cup of tea, either."

(Can you say something as intangible as 'mornings' are or aren't your cup of tea?)

2. "What is most amazing about Saki is that she eats and sleeps like a monster. There's nothing that she cannot eat. She will eat anything with pleasure. She has never been ill, either! She's Physical Health personified."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I'm doing a Japanese-to-English translation for my Tokyo neighbor for his daughter's English speech in school (junior high). I am uncertain if a few of my translated sentences sound natural to the English-speaking ear. Please correct and/or give advice to make them better.

Thanks in advance!  よろしくお願い致します。

1. "But then, mornings aren't my cup of tea, either."

(Can you say something as intangible as 'mornings' are or aren't your cup of tea?)

2. "What is most amazing about Saki is that she eats and sleeps like a monster. There's nothing that she cannot eat. She will eat anything with pleasure. She has never been ill, either! She's Physical Health personified."
1. Absolutely perfect. I like your sentence, but you could also say "I am not a morning person, either." which is less dynamic.

2. I would probably go this route, but your sentences are fine:

"What is most amazing about Saki is that she eats and sleeps like a monster. There's nothing that she won't eat. She will happily eat whatever is in front of her. She has never been sick, either! She's the personification of Physical Health."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Thank you, MMM, for your quick reply!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-19-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd probably stick with 'ill,' as it covers all illnesses. Using 'sick' could be confusing, since it can refer to just vomiting.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
08-20-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'd probably stick with 'ill,' as it covers all illnesses. Using 'sick' could be confusing, since it can refer to just vomiting.
I don't automatically think of vomiting when I hear 'sick.' Here we say "so and so is sick" even if they have something like cancer. :::shrug:::

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-20-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARose View Post
I don't automatically think of vomiting when I hear 'sick.' Here we say "so and so is sick" even if they have something like cancer. :::shrug:::
I'm from England so it's not the same. We say 'ill' the majority of the time. Normally saying 'sick' mean vomiting. Like 'She's been sick.'

So I guess it depends whether you want English or American english. Personally I think illness would be a better term because it's more easily understood by everyone.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nikko (Offline)
yay!

Send a message via MSN to Nikko
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM

well based on the sentences they sound more british to me...you don't hear an american saying mornings ain't their cup of tea! lol
..just a question...these sentences are actually in a text book?!?

私はただ学んでいます - I'm only learning
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
09-11-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
well based on the sentences they sound more british to me...you don't hear an american saying mornings ain't their cup of tea! lol
..just a question...these sentences are actually in a text book?!?
Some of us say it. I do, lol.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Lots of Americans say "such and such isn't my cup of tea." Well, usually you hear "ain't my cup of tea" in Texas, but it's the same construction, just different verb conjugation.

I would keep "physical health personified" because the translator chose that form and there's absolutely no reason to prefer "the personification of physical health" over "physical health personified." Unless you think "personify" isn't a valid verb.

In my neck of the US, we tend to use "sick" rather than "ill," but they are interchangeable in this context.

And to explain MMM's distinguishing of "nothing she won't eat" and "nothing she can't eat," the difference is subtle and not that important for a junior high speech.

"Nothing she won't eat" matches with the "monster" comment because the "monster" comment is insinuating that she's like an animal, indiscriminate in her eating. Thus, you express her desire with "will not."

"Nothing she can't eat" would match "she has an iron stomach" or something of that nature. By using "cannot" instead of "will not," you are emphasizing her ability, rather than habit, to eat a wide variety of things.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-23-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'm from England so it's not the same. We say 'ill' the majority of the time. Normally saying 'sick' mean vomiting. Like 'She's been sick.'

So I guess it depends whether you want English or American english. Personally I think illness would be a better term because it's more easily understood by everyone.
I say poorly instead of ill?

is that just because i work with kids?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me