JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   Could someone please help me with English grammar (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/23314-could-someone-please-help-me-english-grammar.html)

siamtos 02-20-2009 02:14 AM

Could someone please help me with English grammar

I was wondering if I was off in feeling as follows.
1.I feel the following two expressions are quite discouraging and you should say otherwise.
a.If the sun should rise in the west, I would believe in our victory.
I feel this suggests "I" do not believe in the victory when the sun rises in the east as usual. And "I" should say "I believe..."
b.I wish you would get well soon.
Similarly, you should do without "would".
2.May I ask if you can omit the that parenthesized as below as a native did?
What is quite interesting is (that) wild geese that are making a row look so small.

Thank you.
:)

kirakira 02-20-2009 02:19 AM

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/engl...tml#post676838

I already answered your question.

siamtos 02-20-2009 09:56 AM

Many thanks.

May I ask if you are a US native? Your Japanese rather suggests a Japanese native. I would like to wait for more replies since a grammarian studying English as well as another NZ native said yes.

BratGaki 02-23-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siamtos (Post 677088)
1.I feel the following two expressions are quite discouraging and you should say otherwise.
I feel this suggests "I" do not believe in the victory when the sun rises in the east as usual. And "I" should say "I believe..."
What is quite interesting is (that) wild geese that are making a row look so small.

Thank you.

Your first sentence is correct and rather poetic sounding. You're basically saying that it's impossible for the sun to rise in the West, just like our victory.

On your second sentence, you don't need the "that" in the sentence. In speaking, most people would omit it. In formal writing, including "that" makes it sound better. It's not a huge deal. The one "that" doesn't make a big difference if you include it or not.

siamtos 02-25-2009 12:01 PM

Thank you very much, BratGaki!

I have taken you that you agree with me on a and b.

Sangetsu 02-25-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siamtos (Post 677088)

Thank you.

The first sentence is fine. "I would" is more correct in this situation since the modal "should" is used in the first phrase. It's not particularly good English; "were" would be a better choice than "should". In either case, using "would" in the second phrase would still be correct.

The second sentence "I wish you would get well soon" sounds accusatory. "I wish you get well soon", or "I wish that you get well soon" are better choices.

The pronouns "that" or "which" are often deleted in speech when they are optional.

siamtos 02-26-2009 02:20 PM

Thank you for the explanation.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could advise if speeches a and be above are discouraging or encouraging.

hayatokun 03-01-2009 10:36 AM

Yeh,
i think the second sentence sounds a little pushy, it sounds like you could be complaining. However, if you rephrased it as:

I hope that you get better soon, or I hope you will feel better, or I hope your recovery comes quickly.

"I wish you would" could be interpreted in such a manner as you are annoyed that the person hasn't healed quickly enough (almost like an inconvenience to you).

siamtos 03-02-2009 09:00 AM

I see.

Thank you for the explanation.

jesselt 03-06-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 678739)

The second sentence "I wish you would get well soon" sounds accusatory. "I wish you get well soon", or "I wish that you get well soon" are better choices.

Er... What?

"I wish you get well soon" makes no sense at all. "I wish that you get well soon" doesn't really make sense either. You would say something like "I hope you get well soon" or even the original "I wish that you would get well soon" that was suggested by the original poster.

The phrase "I wish that you would get well soon" also does not sound pushy depending on the context or how it is said. If it is said in a sad sounding tone "I wish... that you would get well" it doesn't sound pushy, but perhaps more child-like.

Either way, "I wish you get well soon" is not correct at all.