JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Should English be made the second official language in Japan?
YES 41 47.13%
NO 32 36.78%
Undecided 16 18.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

04-09-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanBrassard View Post
I confirm. If English would be considered as the second official language in Quebec, it would be an insult for me and my nation.
English isn't Canada's second language though.
English and French share the position of national languages of Canada.
Neither of them is above the other.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

04-09-2009, 03:35 AM

I say yes cuz they do try to put english lyrics in their music not to mention they have alot of americans moving over there.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Animekitty (Offline)
great sage of wisdom

04-09-2009, 03:37 AM

If English would be considered as the second official language in Quebec, it would be an insult for me and my nation.

Not to put to big a point on it but France abandoned Quebec to the English after losing the battle of the Plains of Abraham. You only think you're a nation and if left to survive on your own you would lose your culture likely far faster than you feel you have. Be thankful that the English were gracious when they won because usually the loser's culture is forfeit.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

04-09-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
I say yes cuz they do try to put english lyrics in their music not to mention they have alot of americans moving over there.
They say, what, 3 English words a song?

And not even a million Americans live there. And from what I read on here
99% of Japan is Japanese....so....kinda pointless.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
YanBrassard (Offline)
JF Regular

04-09-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
If English would be considered as the second official language in Quebec, it would be an insult for me and my nation.

Not to put to big a point on it but France abandoned Quebec to the English after losing the battle of the Plains of Abraham. You only think you're a nation and if left to survive on your own you would lose your culture likely far faster than you feel you have. Be thankful that the English were gracious when they won because usually the loser's culture is forfeit.
Thanks but I know my history. Even if France abandoned Quebec, we will always stay a French colony. The English signed the Treaty of Paris in 1763 but even if Quebec was officially considered as an English colony, we've never been colonised by them, we don't have the same culture and we don't speak the same language. It is a good reason to consider that we have our own nation and we will always stay an old French colony inside an English country. We share the same first and last names than them and we are members of the Francophonie.

Yes English people were very gracious with them. They allowed us to keep our religion, language and traditions. But the Quebec nation worked very hard to convince the English that we are a nation.

I'm not against the separation of Quebec province and I think that we actually won a lot of power but there are still some people in Quebec and in the other provinces of Canada who still have a hostile mentality about our nations. I think there's an incomprehension in both sides so that's why some English-speaking Canadians still have difficulty to accept Quebec nation and some Quebecers have difficulty to accept to live inside Canada.

Je respecte ceux qui me respectent.

Last edited by YanBrassard : 04-09-2009 at 04:03 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-09-2009, 05:06 AM

I could see doing it for only one reason, and that is a greater relevance amongst the international science community. I have seen it said in a couple different places that despite Japan's large science and technology community they have a relatively small presence at international confrences and generate a small number of technical papers. The reason given for this is the poor english skills of Japanese scientists and engineers. English is the defacto language of scientific communication and usually the required language for presentations and papers. By making English an official language of Japan the english literacy would increase and so would the Japanese presence at international scientific events.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

04-09-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
By making English an official language of Japan the english literacy would increase and so would the Japanese presence at international scientific events.
Valid point but I think we all know this is just a pipe dream.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-09-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
Again, only arrogance or ignorance could justify a "yes" remark.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

04-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Again, only arrogance or ignorance could justify a "yes" remark.
That or just not smart enough to learn a foreign language.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
04-09-2009, 06:23 AM

I have voted no. English is a great language and a platform for different people to interact, but Japan is, indeed, not Great-Brittain or the U.S.A. for that matter. Japan is Japan, and as long as English is not forbidden to be spoken, it will be alright. Nihongo IS Japan.

music reflects the soul of the man