JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SvanteH (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2009, 09:04 AM

I'd say just start reading books, listening to music and understanding the lyrics. Then you can practice writing with people here. Only thing you will in the end have hard to understand might be the pronouncation (how a word sounds when spoken).

I'm tired in doing nothing, so I think I'll start doing something ~
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

07-12-2009, 10:42 AM

If you said:

"Do you think I could learn Japanese without an instructor?"

My answer would definitely be NO.

I have met some Japanese people with a basic English level and they claimed learnt by reading and watching English programmes, so in light of this, I guess it depends on each individuals response.

Cheers - Oz
(#13 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2009, 05:48 AM

whether a person can teach himself a new language would depend on the person's ability to research the language. I'm trying to teach myself Japanese, but there are questions that no amount of reading written documents can teach you.

For example: When do you use a certain word? what words should you avoid using? two or more words have a similar meaning. Are they interchangeable? Where in a sentence does a word belong?

Reading and watching television in another language may help, but you will end up several words that you probably shouldn't be using in many situations, ESPECIALLY if you are learning English.

Fortunately, forums like these exist so you're not alone in your endeavor!

Japanese speakers learning English are blessed with a small syllabary, but cursed with a complicated grammar structure, along with learning to use words such as "a" "an" and "the".

English speakers learning Japanese are blessed with a simpler grammatical structure, but are cursed with a very large syllabary.

Last edited by korriken : 07-25-2009 at 05:52 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ryo23T (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2009, 09:37 AM

ofcurse you can if u want
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Artvampire (Offline)
JF Regular

11-16-2009, 09:41 PM

Find an English speaking pen pal. You write English very well =)

You can write me letters through this website if you want, I will correct spelling and reply to your messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelygirl View Post
Hey ppl

I wander that in these days with the development of the technology we have the internet that includes every thing that we can learn English through it ? without a teacher or even without wasting money for an expensive English center?
Do u think we can or it is difficult ?
I have a poor English and I want to improve it I thought about Improving it by the internet , sharing in english forums, chatting with English native speakers and reading in English sites but I don't know why I feel it is difficult cuz I need someone to correct my mistakes!
Or do u thing I can correct them later I just have to be familiar with the language and correct my mistakes later ?
What do u think ppl?

Do u think we can learn through internet?
have any body learnt his/her english language through internet?