JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Absorption/immersion and having bilingual parents are the most common ways.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
jcj (Offline)
New to JF

08-11-2009, 07:37 AM

For those interested in the research that started this thread. Patricia Kuhl is one of the leading experts in infant language acquisition. This research is important in many ways : treating autism, AI and getting robots to speak to us and also bilingualism. check it out at I-LABS: Patricia Kuhl, Ph.D. - Research
(#23 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
My cousin speaks cantonese and english and he's 2.
It's quite cute really. surprisingly, he doesn't get it mixed up.
That's cute :-)

My son is getting their with his Japanese and English, and he just knows that English is with me and JP on her side.

Cheers - Oz
(#24 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm Scottish so my L sounds are bad anyway but I somehow get by.

I remember my ex girlfriend always said she thought it was cute how I said my L sounds. Even when she showed me how to do it, my tongue didn't want to move in that direction and I couldn't do it. I definitely find the Japanese らりるれろ sounds (they sound closer to L sounds than R sounds in my opinion) easier than the English L sound as it's a completely different tongue movement as far as I can tell.

Also let's hope my Japanese らりるれろ is okay. Luckily I was pleased at a Japanese casual evening I went to a week or two ago when I was told my pronunciation was good.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
08-28-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
That's cute :-)

My son is getting their with his Japanese and English, and he just knows that English is with me and JP on her side.
You are Australian, and your "wife" is Korean. You're child does not speak Japanese. Give it up

猿も木から落ちる
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
You are Australian, and your "wife" is Korean. You're child does not speak Japanese. Give it up
Is it a bad thing to teach one's child another language, even if they are not of that race?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-28-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
My son's mother and my X-Wife are divorced. Yes she is Japanese.

My now partner is Korean.

Cheers - Oz
(#28 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:

"Your"
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Routetosomewhere (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2009, 08:44 PM

Well, my dad is English and my mother is Dutch, I am fluent in both languages, I heard English speaking on TV and (had to) talk to my english grandparents from since when I was little. I dunno if it is just me, but now I find learning other languages really easy (and fun ofcourse). So I think if you are bilingual, it's easier to learn new languages/to be open to them.
Also, we get French in school, in which I am quite fluent too, but half of our country (Belgium) is French so I come in contact with it nearly every day (Does that make me trilingual?)

Sorry if this has nothing to do with the topic but, just wanna add this to the conversation y'know
(#30 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-31-2009, 08:58 PM

Being bilingual is extremely EASY! Most people that are minorities in a country will speak their own language and that of the country they reside (if they have their own language that is).

For me, I've always been fluent in Arabic and Kabyle. Kabyle being my mother tongue, and Arabic the language of Algeria and kids in the street. By age 7, I was half decent in French from TV and the fact that French influence was still alive in Algeria. Moved to England at 7ish and was able to translate basic notions to my parents after 3 months and after 1 year, I was in a higher English class than most people in my year group. This is pretty normal for most Kabyle Algerians. Those that haven't managed to move abroad to learn another language will still speak fluently Kabyle, Arabic and French. For those that count Dialects as a different "language", Kabyle Algerians are all genuises. lol.

I think it's always been clear that languages are very easy to pick up as a kid. From watching DBZ and Knights of the Zodiac and other animes in French, I was able to communicate with relative ease to my cousins in France, in French at the age of 7. God knows how it's picked up, but the majority of kids learn languages like it's nothing!