JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
Marukyusu (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Marukyusu Send a message via Yahoo to Marukyusu
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM

CoolNard, I think it's completely useless that you keep posting Chinese words without the appropriate tones. It's like writing English with only initials:

c means cat

b means banana or boat

you see?

as for the importance of tones:

ma1 = mother (ma1ma)
ma2 = sesame
ma3 = horse
ma4 = curse, swear
ma / ma5 = an inquisitive particle (eg. included in the word shen2ma, what?)

All of the above are pronounced ma, but with different tones, respectively.

So, again, what's your point posting Chinese words written in roman ji without any tone indicators?

I think you're posting nonsense. I suggest you start marking the tones or stop posting. =P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brother of: AoshiShinomori, lollijenn, musashi, Riku8
Uncle to: ObscureLove
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
日本と日本語とアニメが大好き。 ^_^
。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
(#102 (permalink))
Old
Marukyusu (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Oh and, pissed means drunk as well. And "piss off" means "get lost". American English is no more standard than British, Canadian or Australian English. =P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
日本と日本語とアニメが大好き。 ^_^
。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
(#103 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
04-05-2007, 05:44 PM

xvalilix: Lol, you sound like a real busy person XD so I take it you don't know the meaning of those words you ignored giving meanings to?

Marukyusu: Well thank you for the advice, but dude, I suggest you direct this to everyone instead of just me. It helps boosts other people's impression of your courtesy level. And as you can see, I hope, I'm not the only that's been posting words without their respective tones. Oh, and I wouldn't say it's completely useless. At least they'll know how to pronounce the words, though not in quite the right manner. I'll start "making the tones" in my posts. But saying that the previous ones have been nonsense is taking it a little too far. And you know what else I suggest? Stick to the facts "or stop posting."

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 04-05-2007 at 05:46 PM.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
xvalilix (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Marukyusu:uh, well he was writing full sentences, and speaking it to someone who speaks chinese too, so I think that even though you don't know the tones, you can know what it meant by the context of the phrases.

And there is a way to show the tone with letters by using those strike mark (??) û ù ê é è à ... etc.

Last edited by xvalilix : 04-05-2007 at 05:52 PM.
(#105 (permalink))
Old
xvalilix (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
xvalilix: Lol, you sound like a real busy person XD so I take it you don't know the meaning of those words you ignored giving meanings to?
HAHA I know them those too! Wo is I/Me it's just since I told you i know the basic, I though that you'd know what I meant and stuff haha!
(#106 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

04-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Yeah, but non-Chinese might have trouble understanding those strides. Unless you post their varius functions

Well, you seem pretty knowledgeable ^_^ It's so late (early) here i can hardly think of anything at the moment, lol... XD Oh well, nighty ppl

Wan (3) An (1)

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Marukyusu (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2007, 07:11 PM

Okay, I might've been a bit over line there. However,

1) you were the one who said it (regarding to your why-are-you-attacking-me-comment)
2) no, you're not the only one, but since your pretty much dominating this chain, I'd say you define the standard
3) maybe not utterly, completely useless, but you (and here I don't mean you but anyone) can go to a Chinese person and pronounce those sentences without their respective tones in your American / whatever accent, and see if you can make yourself understood. Might work with really common & simple sentences, but on the other hand, think about how much damage it can do to your Chinese learning if you really wanted to learn the language, but start off by learning to pronounce words and sentences in a twisted, incomprehensible manner?

I do apologise for my TONE. That was nothing personal.

-----

Oh, and please don't point out my misspellings if you understand what I meant. Wan3 an1!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
日本と日本語とアニメが大好き。 ^_^
。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
(#108 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

04-06-2007, 04:49 AM

See? Isn't it much better when you just politely point out what I was doing wrong without insulting me? Yes, I do agree with you and your apology is accepted. I too, am sorry for not providing the proper tones along with the words. Peace bro

(#109 (permalink))
Old
Yuri (Offline)
back from outer space :D

Location: near the sun, with the moon..kissing the shooting stars..this is where i am
Send a message via AIM to Yuri Send a message via MSN to Yuri Send a message via Yahoo to Yuri
04-06-2007, 04:51 AM

I tried chinese once, I really really truly sucked, lol

the real truth is often the one we dont want to hear
i am the tears that fall, you are the blood on my skin, we are mingled forever again, here we stand, hand in hand, but ill let go when my time has come, time for u to fly alone
(#110 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

04-06-2007, 04:54 AM

Don't blame ya. I'm Chinese and I suck at it too XD