JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

Race descriptions in English - 09-02-2009, 06:35 PM

This has been bothering me for a while... I want something that is mostly "politically correct" to describe certain races of certain characteristics.

We've all come to accept that "whites" refer to those of European descent who have lighter skin, rounder eyes, and so on... Blacks are from African descent and generally have darker skin, more pronounced lips and noses, etc. These are also what are used in police reports and such.

However, what do we call the people of Asian descent that have the light-dark yellowish skin, almond shaped eyes, and relatively flat faces. This includes the majority of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. I hesitate to think that the term is "Asian" since there are many native Asians that certainly do not fit the stereotypical "Asian".

This is similar to the even more encompassing "Latino". This term can describe literally any race who calls most of South-Central America, Spain, and some other countries "home". This includes those of European, African, and Asian descent. Although the stereotypical "Latin" people are those of the darker skinned native South-Central descent (like Mexicans).

Would appreciate feedback.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM

Sorry, to disappoint you, but the generic race term would be Asian, though like Latino or Hispanic, it would often be too vague or even possibly misleading.

In the absence of definitive knowledge of what a person's heritage is, it would seem less offensive to refer to them as Asian, than to mistakenly use something more specific and be wrong. I would not welcome the response if I referred to a Korean as Japanese, or someone Japanese as Chinese. And in any case "Asian" is FAR more acceptable than the generic term used previously - Oriental.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-02-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
This has been bothering me for a while... I want something that is mostly "politically correct" to describe certain races of certain characteristics.

We've all come to accept that "whites" refer to those of European descent who have lighter skin, rounder eyes, and so on... Blacks are from African descent and generally have darker skin, more pronounced lips and noses, etc. These are also what are used in police reports and such.

However, what do we call the people of Asian descent that have the light-dark yellowish skin, almond shaped eyes, and relatively flat faces. This includes the majority of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. I hesitate to think that the term is "Asian" since there are many native Asians that certainly do not fit the stereotypical "Asian".

This is similar to the even more encompassing "Latino". This term can describe literally any race who calls most of South-Central America, Spain, and some other countries "home". This includes those of European, African, and Asian descent. Although the stereotypical "Latin" people are those of the darker skinned native South-Central descent (like Mexicans).

Would appreciate feedback.
I think if you are looking to be sensitive racially I would stop describing blacks as having "more pronounced lips and noses" and Asians as having "relatively flat faces".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
09-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think if you are looking to be sensitive racially I would stop describing blacks as having "more pronounced lips and noses" and Asians as having "relatively flat faces".
Why would he do that?...I don't know about asians...but every single black person I've seen has larger noses and lips than white people....is there a problem with that?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

09-02-2009, 10:17 PM

I guess it easily offends people?

Where my mom lives, one of the managers got offended, simply cause I said my sister has a black person's nose, kinda smooshed.
I wasn't being insulting, just descriptive, and yet.... she got offended.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Why would he do that?...I don't know about asians...but every single black person I've seen has larger noses and lips than white people....is there a problem with that?
Descriptions such as "big nose" and "flat face" are insults in the respective communities.

It's racial stereotyping, and historically these kinds of indicators are often tools to make other races appear as more savage and less civilized.

That's why he would do that.

I can feel this thread will not live to a ripe old age.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2009, 11:34 PM

You asked for it IceWindDude!

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-03-2009, 12:33 AM

In the UK, Oriental is used to describe East Asians, and Asian is used to describe South Asians and Middle Eastern people.

In New Zealand, "Asian" is a reference to East Asian people, South Asian people (Sri Lanka, Banghladesh, India, Pakistan) are often (ignorantly in my opinion) referred to as "Indians" despite the fact that South Asia comprises more than just India. People from the Middle East are simply called Middle Eastern people.

My point being that where you draw the lines and what term you decide to use depends as much on who you're addressing as it does whom you're referring to.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
09-03-2009, 01:28 AM

Hey i don't have big lips and a big noes. (maybe that explains why I'm mixed with different races)

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog
(#10 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
09-03-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Descriptions such as "big nose" and "flat face" are insults in the respective communities.

It's racial stereotyping, and historically these kinds of indicators are often tools to make other races appear as more savage and less civilized.

That's why he would do that.

I can feel this thread will not live to a ripe old age.
I mean...I know they are offending and everything...I just don't think they should be taken offensively...if someone has a big nose, they have a big nose, if someone has a flat face, they have a flat face.
Closed Thread