LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-03-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
I mean...I know they are offending and everything...I just don't think they should be taken offensively...if someone has a big nose, they have a big nose, if someone has a flat face, they have a flat face.
What is big? What is flat?

The potentially offensive part of these descriptions is the use of subjective, relative, (big, small etc.) or exaggerated (flat... i.e. nobody's face is actually flat) adjectives.

It implies a certain degree of ethnocentricity or ignorance.

Of course context matters and I can think of situations where such descriptions should not be taken offensively... but as stand alone statements I can see how it could be offensive or at the very least make you cringe at the ignorance being displayed.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 09-03-2009 at 02:11 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-03-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
I mean...I know they are offending and everything...I just don't think they should be taken offensively...if someone has a big nose, they have a big nose, if someone has a flat face, they have a flat face.
Just because you don't think people should be offended by it doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

In American society do you think being characterized as having big lips and a big nose or as having a flat face would be considered positive attributes or negative attributes?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
09-03-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Just because you don't think people should be offended by it doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

In American society do you think being characterized as having big lips and a big nose or as having a flat face would be considered positive attributes or negative attributes?
I wouldn't really consider them positive or negative....it really depends on the person....Don't get me wrong, I can see why people are offended by it, I just think it's a dumb thing to get upset over...I think with people making fun of people for having big lips/noses and stuff, only do it because people are so easily upset about it...if people were okay with the fact that they had a big nose or big lips or flat face then it probably wouldn't be made fun of so much....that's just me though
(#14 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
09-03-2009, 02:16 AM

I've got to agree with darksyndrem here.

It's just how the races are differentiated between one another. All races are different. It's not offensive unless you make it offensive, and, of course, some people do.

Black people have darker skin. The majority of black people have larger lips. Homologous.
Jewish people have dark hair and eyes. The majority of Jewish people have larger noses. Homologous.
Asian people have black/dark brown eyes. The majority of Asians are relatively shorter in height. Homologous.

There is nothing racist about it. If anything, I think it's beautiful to see the difference in all races. But of course, there are simple-minded people who take offense to it.

猿も木から落ちる
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-03-2009, 02:33 AM

I don't think you two are understanding that the OP chose the exact features that have been characterized as inferior to use as describing blacks and Asians. It is easy to say "It doesn't bother me" when you both are of a race in a country that hasn't been oppressed.

Maybe it's "dumb" to get upset over, but you have to understand that it is more than a racial description, but is a tool in racism.

Dark, you may truly think that being characterized as having a big nose and big lips or a flat face in neither negative nor positive, but trust me, these aren't items that are checked off when people look at a list of physical characteristics they are attracted too. "Yeah, I like a guy who is smart and funny, and has really big lips." or "I am looking for an Asian girl, the flatter the face the better."

Get real. These are racial stereotypes, and are negative ones. So I go back to my first post. If the OP wants to find sensitive ways to talk about race, I would drop these racist stereotypes.

And it is interesting, Alan, you bring up large noses with Jewish people, too. Another racial stereotype that has been used to oppress the Jewish people for decades.

Last edited by MMM : 09-03-2009 at 02:46 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-03-2009, 02:49 AM

I think that a number of these descriptions are so ingrained as "true" in a wide part of the population that it feels like they`re stating fact with no harm intended.

Just as in the past it was accepted to make comments about intelligence in relation to race.

Even if you do not realize it, the statements are offensive. You`re making the comparison to a set of "ideal" features - even if you are not conscious of it.

I agree that this really has the potential to go the wrong direction as many people do feel offended at those sort of descriptions.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Closed Thread