JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lovelygirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to lovelygirl
Do u think I can learn English without instructor or teacher? - 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM

Hey ppl

I wander that in these days with the development of the technology we have the internet that includes every thing that we can learn English through it ? without a teacher or even without wasting money for an expensive English center?
Do u think we can or it is difficult ?
I have a poor English and I want to improve it I thought about Improving it by the internet , sharing in english forums, chatting with English native speakers and reading in English sites but I don't know why I feel it is difficult cuz I need someone to correct my mistakes!
Or do u thing I can correct them later I just have to be familiar with the language and correct my mistakes later ?
What do u think ppl?

Do u think we can learn through internet?
have any body learnt his/her english language through internet?

Last edited by lovelygirl : 06-30-2009 at 08:52 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Not English, nor any other language.

Language can only be properly learnt through interaction with other people. A study group with members having about the same skills and with very good teaching materials might be able to succeed. But studying alone will only have limited benefit.

If you look around this site and others, you will note that people with English as a second language and with highly developed skills are actively seeking advice on how to improve. They are taking as their teachers, native speakers of English. They also spend time using English as best they can to communicate with other people.

The same approach is used for learning Japanese (and a variety of other languages). Learning a language and learning about a language are two very different processes.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
06-30-2009, 01:20 PM

i think you can if u try hard thats how im learning japanese just dont give up
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Zidor48 (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2009, 04:36 AM

The answer is yes, yes you can. I would suggest you find a place where you can TALK english as well as read it. Simply because reading it doesn't teach you how to pronounce it and english has tons of silly rules about how letters will sound.

But reading/writing/watching/talking english can all be done on the internet and thats how you learn it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-05-2009, 06:27 AM

English is a very quirky and overwhelming language.
If your main goal is to be able to get by in your day to day life without much of a hustle then the answer is yes. You can definitely learn it by yourself. (read novels, have a dictionary handy, watch movies, listen to music etc.) It is entirely possible if you're dedicated.

Do not underestimate the power of a "good" teacher though.

Take me for example, English is my third language. I started by learning it independently but when I started taking classes I noticed the overwhelming difference from what I thought I knew and what I was eventually taught...not to mention the pace at which I learned it all. The difference was night and day. I was completely humbled.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, you can learn it by yourself but in the end you'll be limited to yourself. Its probably best to widen your horizons and seek the aid of someone who can magnify and expand on what you know.

On a side note, I feel a bit like a hypocrite right now considering that I'm trying to learn Japanese by myself lol.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
AlexReal (Offline)
JF Regular

07-05-2009, 07:43 AM

Good day. I have a poor English too and i have not time. I would like to communicate in English. To study English, of course, it is necessary with statement of a correct pronunciation. But catastrophically there is no time
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2009, 02:35 PM

You definitely can. It's a difficult thing to learn a language by yourself, but if you have the right resources - textbooks, software like Rosetta Stone or Living Language, online practice, etc. - it's absolutely possible. It may take a lot of time and a LOT of motivation, but you can.

I strongly suggest Language Exchange Community - Practice Foreign Languages for one of your online resources. It allows you to chat and speak in English for the purpose of learning English. Also, watching TV shows and movies in English is a great way to see people speak so that you can get a good idea of different gestures - a more physical part of learning a language.

LOVE: pass it on
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nagareboshi
07-07-2009, 12:32 AM

It's possible if you're really motivated and determined and have the proper resources. If you want to learn it on your own, I would suggest one of those computer programs that teach foreign languages. If possible, try to take an English class at a college. If you have any friends who can speak English, use it with them. Use English at every possible opportunity. Watch English movies or TV shows, and listen to English music (it helps you to expand your vocabulary).

You seem to have a basic understanding of the language already, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to improve. English is my native language, so if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Alvinho (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Alvinho
07-11-2009, 03:36 PM

You'd better take some classes throughout basic and intermediate....I believe that after you can get by just reading news, magazines....studying on your own may be better to pick up many words easily....at least that's happening to me....

In a communist country, there's one president who grabs all life's benefits, dozens of burocrats who drain tax payers' money and 8 million go through harsh starvation.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 07:57 AM

It´s no problem...
I have english in school as a subject but it´s so poor that I haven´t learnt anything for last about three years. I do still many mistakes but I´m little better in this language than my classmates because of chatting and reading in english And I feel I do steps forward, practice is the best thing human needs.