JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
bubblesluan (Offline)
New to JF

give some suggestion about learning English - 09-03-2009, 01:53 AM

I am a Chinese,living in Tokyo now, I have been studying English for many years. Now I wanna to practice my oral English. Does it help to take the English training course?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

09-03-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesluan View Post
I am a Chinese,living in Tokyo now, I have been studying English for many years. Now I wanna to practice my oral English. Does it help to take the English training course?
It may or may not, to tell you the truth. I've met many Japanese who have atttended English conversation schools over a year or two, and many of them still don't speak much English.

I suggest that you visit some schools and consult with them. Many will give you a free trial lesson. The courses are naturally designed to suit the needs of Japanese-speakers, so that would be one thing to consider as well.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2009, 06:09 PM

as a native English speak who only recently learn just how difficult English really is, I would have to say find a native English speaker and practice on them. If you have a basic fluency in English I would be willing to spend an hour or two with you from time to time to help you with your oral English. I do not understand any Chinese though, and my Japanese isn't proficient enough to hold a conversation with yet.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Training courses are always usefull. Best way to master a language and the deeper understanding is talk, talk and more talk to people and especially natives.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2009, 06:24 AM

In my opinion any class will help. It certainly can't hurt. The best way to learn oral English is to speak it with a native. If you need a native to talk with let me know we'll get in touch somehow.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
There are three things critical to improving fluency in any language. Practice, practice again then practice some more.

Whatever the language be sure the practice "buddy" has a neutral accent and an educated knowledge and use of the language or you may be taking one step forward and two steps back.

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-10-2009, 01:34 AM

It all depends. If you really work hard to improve, then you will improve. Many people take language courses, show up once once a week, and don't really learn anything. Others attend the same classes and make good progress. The difference is in how hard they work at it.

If you take a class once or twice a week, and find the time to study on your own at least 20 minutes to 1 hour each day, you will improve. For genuine fluency, you would do better to do a homestay program in an English speaking country.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Artvampire (Offline)
JF Regular

11-16-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm sure there a lot of Americans who'd like to help. Do you have a web cam with a microphone? You can talk to people out of country without having to move there, it's great.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

11-16-2009, 11:21 PM

it's good if you find courses, books, etc. and/or have a fluent english instructor/teacher to teach you, or whether it be a class or a friend online, you can learn english really well.
however, i'm a fluent speaker in english also. if you have msn and wanna voice chat or need help with english, i'll be glad to help you or anyone who needs help with english ~

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~
(#10 (permalink))
Old
CrystalDoll (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to CrystalDoll
11-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Frankly speaking, if possible, make some friends who are native English speakers, you will improve your English when you are having fun with them in daily life. On the other hand, you can watch some American TV plays, like Friends, to improve your listening and enlarge your expressions/slang when you enjoy it. It did work to me. Good luck!