JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
opalac (Offline)
New to JF

Help!!!!!! - 10-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Can somebody translate this in english, please?!
"Ashita mo shinjiteitaiya"
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-11-2009, 06:34 PM

No, can't help you, I'm a noob in Japanese myself...
But I think it says something with
tomorrow (ashita)
too (mo)
die (shinjiteitaiya)

I know tomorrow & too 4 sure, but I can't really translate that 'shinjiteitaiya'...
You'll just have to wait 'till someone who is good in japanese replies
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalac View Post
Can somebody translate this in english, please?!
"Ashita mo shinjiteitaiya"
I want to believe tomorrow, too.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
10-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortry View Post
No, can't help you, I'm a noob in Japanese myself...
But I think it says something with
tomorrow (ashita)
too (mo)
die (shinjiteitaiya)

I know tomorrow & too 4 sure, but I can't really translate that 'shinjiteitaiya'...
You'll just have to wait 'till someone who is good in japanese replies
This explanation is for you, just cause I'm trying to put off doing real work . The verb for 'die' is 死ぬ(しぬ) shinu. What you've got there is 信じる(しんじる)shinjiru, to believe. To help you understand how it's conjugated, I'll break it up into parts. 信じる here is in it's ーて form. In this case, the verb was conjugated as ーている. ーている was then conjugated with the ~たい verb ending which means to want the action or want to perform the action.
Example: 行く(いく)iku (Go/to go) 行きたい(いきたい)ikitai (Want to go).

After that, I'm not by any means certain, but my hunch is that the speaker wasn't speaking in the tokyo dialect because they used や instead of だ (This is just a guess, but I'm pretty confident in my guess otherwise I wouldn't hazard my opinion. Still, take it with a grain of salt). I'm not really confident enough in its usage to discuss how the ~ている form works, but I hope you can see how the verb was constructed, at least.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
opalac (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Thank you all!!! Still I have to ask you one more thing. Actually two duo797 why do I have partly quadrates instead of letters in your post?! Infact not only in your post it is very hard to understand anything completely that way. And MMM how much are you sure?! I have to ask cause it's very very very important for me to know exactly meaning ( it's the content of the postcard i got last week ).
And really guys thank you once again
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-11-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you all!!! Still I have to ask you one more thing. Actually two duo797 why do I have partly quadrates instead of letters in your post?! Infact not only in your post it is very hard to understand anything completely that way. And MMM how much are you sure?! I have to ask cause it's very very very important for me to know exactly meaning ( it's the content of the postcard i got last week ).
Since you are not writing in Japanese and there is no context to the sentence I am only 99% sure.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
opalac (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2009, 11:41 PM

[quote=MMM;776587]Since you are not writing in Japanese and there is no context to the sentence I am only 99% sure.[/QUOTE

there is no context just that ... I have already said it was on postcard i got last week. Not Japanese?!!? Than what is it?! I mean which language?! I really thought it was Japanese . . ...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
10-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
If you're seeing the diamonds with question marks, then you probably don't have the correct fonts installed. I just used kanji/hiragana. Also, as for context, he means was there anything else written besides what you posted here.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

10-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
After that, I'm not by any means certain, but my hunch is that the speaker wasn't speaking in the tokyo dialect because they used や instead of だ (This is just a guess, but I'm pretty confident in my guess otherwise I wouldn't hazard my opinion.
Truth is that was nothing but the Tokyo dialect. You won't hear that や used this way nearly as often elsewhere. 

"Instead of だ"? That the Japanese use だ so often as a sentence-ender is a North American myth. Native speakers don't do it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

there is no context just that ... I have already said it was on postcard i got last week. Not Japanese?!!? Than what is it?! I mean which language?! I really thought it was Japanese . . ...
You wrote: Ashita mo shinjiteitaiya

I mean 明日も信じていたいや

That is writing in Japanese.