JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   Help find one English word! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/29307-help-find-one-english-word.html)

Nagoyankee 12-14-2009 12:10 PM

Help find one English word!

I was just watching a digested BBC program about a couple of American women who love "things" rather than real men (or women). One of them has recently "married" the Eiffel Tower after saying eternal good-bye to her ex-boyfriend, the Golden Gate Bridge.

Since I watched this program in Japanese, I didn't get to catch what this kind of love or a person loves these things were called in English.

Any help would be appreciated.

ozkai 12-14-2009 12:14 PM

Nagoyankee, If I am undertsanding your question, this kind of persons love in English, or at least in Australia would be classified as a mental health issue.

yuriyuri 12-14-2009 01:50 PM

All I can find is "objectum sexual"

Google define:
Objectum sexuality or Objektsexualität in German, is a pronounced sexual and or emotional desire towards particular inanimate objects

Here is an article in English, titled: 'I married the Eiffel Tower'
Although it was written in 2008, you might like to read it
'I married the Eiffel Tower' - Living, The New Review - The Independent

Edit:
Here is another link :)
Objectum-Sexuality Internationale - Homepage for Objectum-Sexuals & Objectum Sexuality info with Objectum sexual history

Nagoyankee 12-14-2009 02:35 PM

Thanks for the links, yuriyuri!

This is truly intriguing.

clairebear 12-14-2009 02:42 PM

Oh, I watched that not too long ago. Strange to say the least :p

duo797 12-15-2009 12:37 AM

I've heard about a lot of strange things in my life, but I can honestly say I've never heard of someone who was literally attracted to a piece of architecture in a romantic sense. Kudos if you manage to ever use this word in casual conversation.

LinnyLo 12-15-2009 12:57 AM

I had never heard of this but it sounded interesting so I Googled it. It's also called "Objectophilia".
I found it here:
Cynical-C Blog | Married to the Eiffel Tower
They have a link to where you can watch the BBC special about it.

reihiino 12-15-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duo797 (Post 789569)
I've heard about a lot of strange things in my life, but I can honestly say I've never heard of someone who was literally attracted to a piece of architecture in a romantic sense. Kudos if you manage to ever use this word in casual conversation.

what does one call the guy that married that video game character a while back?

Aniki 12-15-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reihiino (Post 789580)
what does one call the guy that married that video game character a while back?

a nutcase?

xyzone 12-15-2009 08:42 AM

the eyefull tower is a HOR!