JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   *Questions about English*Help me Pleeeeeez (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/30241-%2Aquestions-about-english%2Ahelp-me-pleeeeeez.html)

yumyumtimtam 04-13-2010 09:25 AM

hello Koir san how are you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 808187)
*nitpick mode off* :P
They do, but it's up to the context and what emphasis the speaker wants to put on the person or thing they see.

I see. cos someone told me that "How adjective subject verb" is an old way and not many people would use now.
Quote:

Not if you view Sundays as a time to regret what you did Saturday night ;)
hahaha. you are right!
do you view Sundays that way?

When I was a junior high school and high school student, I hated Sunday nights cos that Monday is coming soon and the school starts again.

Do you know Japanese anime called "Chibi Maruko-chan" and "Sazae-san"?
both animes were (and are) on TV starts from 18:00~18:30~19:00, so for me (and I guess for quite a few Japanese) these anime means Sunday nights.

Ive been having a really busy days for the past few weeks but my long holidays are coming soon! The Golden Week! but I am not going to travel much, cos there will be too many people anywhere. I hate to be in a long que... so instead of holidayING, Im going to do some casual job! Something fun and weird.

Have a good day Koir san:)
:ywave:

Columbine 04-13-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam (Post 808236)
wow, thank you Columbine san
I understand now! clearly! thank you!
(oops I maybe used too many exclamation marks again, sorry robhol san!)

One of my teacher friends told me
that some people in Canada say "Where is your shoes?" instead of " Where ARE your shoes?" or "Where is your pair of shoes?"
but is he right?

I have no idea. *laughs* Koirrrrr~ we need your input. You do hear people in the UK say "Where's your shoes" or "Where's my keys", quite often. And of course, if you were to correct the apostrophe, it would read "Where is your shoes" and "where is my keys", but we never say it like that. It's always "Where are XXX" or "Where's XXX".

Quote:

I see. 日本語のほうがシンプルかな。以上と以下や未満という 漢字が使えます。

maybe there is a line there? as soon as you touch the line of 18, you are over 18? even 18 years and 1 second old?
mmm, yes it's tricky!

mmm? so more than 2 could be 2.0001 right?

Hmm, it's difficult because ages are treated slightly differently than numbers in English. Mostly when we say "more than 2" we're dealing with whole numbers. "More than 2 people," "more than 2 apples" "more than 2 cars". And you can't have 2.0001 apples or 2.0001 people, because you can only count them in wholes. 2.0001 people would be like 2 people and a finger, but you can't call a finger a person. The same with apples. 2.0001 apples might be 2 whole apples plus a fragment more apple, but again, you can't call just a fragment of apple "An apple". So we'd use something like weight to express what 2 and a bit apples is instead, for example, 100g of apple.

But ages are more like times. You can say "over 2.0001 seconds" and it still makes sense because seconds can also be counted in milliseconds. Basically
1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds but there's no valid way of counting people or objects based on the parts they are made up of.

Particularly with the age 18, once you turn 18, your papers (driving license, passport etc) become valid ID to enter bars and pubs, so definitely the date of your birthday is like a line.

Quote:

Yes, I understand!
but one thing, can you teach me?
this "18's" means "18 yearS" old ?

ある特定の20代の男性/(一般的に)40代前半の女性/50代後半の男女 
How can I expalin them?
man in his 20's/women in their early 40's/men and women in their late 50's

Yes, 18's means 18 years old. It also has the nuance of 'more than one 18 year old person'.

Your explanation sounds perfect to me.

Quote:

An Aussie lady told me once
"don't say HOW OLD ARE YOU? when you want to ask someone's age, say HOW YOUNG ARE YOU?" I know she was joking, but is it actually good to use when I "need" to ask someone elder about her age?

and is this OK?
"I went to Hawaii for a skydiving" 30 years old teacher said to his student in the 1st grade of elementary school.
"I like it too" the student said.
"Have you done that before?"the teacher said.
"yep, when I was a kid"
"You ARE a kid."
then... this teacher could say
" How young were you then?" ?

I wouldn't use "how young are you" to an older person, unless I knew their personality, but then I'm just a kid still really and that sort of joking from people my age can come across as cheeky; like I'm highlighting their age and making fun of it. However, I think from you, it would be much more acceptable.

*laughs* I think your skydiving scenario is OK. A lot of people might still ask "How old were you then?" but for the situation "how young were you" would fit; because the stress of the conversation is that the kid was exceptionally young to be going skydiving!

yumyumtimtam 04-13-2010 11:23 AM

またまたこんにちは

Sorry...I will come back soon!
How are you columbine san?

yumyumtimtam 04-25-2010 02:54 PM

hello again:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 808243)
I have no idea. *laughs* Koirrrrr~ we need your input. You do hear people in the UK say "Where's your shoes" or "Where's my keys", quite often. And of course, if you were to correct the apostrophe, it would read "Where is your shoes" and "where is my keys", but we never say it like that. It's always "Where are XXX" or "Where's XXX".

I see.

I heard an american man said the other day
"She go...and He go..." instead of S/he goes/

Quote:

Hmm, it's difficult because ages are treated slightly differently than numbers in English. Mostly when we say "more than 2" we're dealing with whole numbers. "More than 2 people," "more than 2 apples" "more than 2 cars". And you can't have 2.0001 apples or 2.0001 people, because you can only count them in wholes. 2.0001 people would be like 2 people and a finger, but you can't call a finger a person. The same with apples. 2.0001 apples might be 2 whole apples plus a fragment more apple, but again, you can't call just a fragment of apple "An apple". So we'd use something like weight to express what 2 and a bit apples is instead, for example, 100g of apple.
I just laught when I read the finger part, I loved it!

I see... so the word "more" can be used for counting numbers?
so if I want to use 5.5 % or something like that kind of number I should use "over" ?

Quote:

I wouldn't use "how young are you" to an older person, unless I knew their personality, but then I'm just a kid still really and that sort of joking from people my age can come across as cheeky; like I'm highlighting their age and making fun of it. However, I think from you, it would be much more acceptable.
Yes you are right.
It will highlight their age and some wouldn't like it.

Quote:

*laughs* I think your skydiving scenario is OK. A lot of people might still ask "How old were you then?" but for the situation "how young were you" would fit; because the stress of the conversation is that the kid was exceptionally young to be going skydiving!
Thank you Columbine san:)
:ywave:

Koir 04-25-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 808243)

I would have to say "Where is your shoes" and similar expressions are a result of understood grammatical errors. That is, it's more important to get the person to perform the action (looking for shoes) than phrasing it in proper English.

West 05-18-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 809786)
I would have to say "Where is your shoes" and similar expressions are a result of understood grammatical errors. That is, it's more important to get the person to perform the action (looking for shoes) than phrasing it in proper English.

Actually, because shoes is plural, are is the proper verb for the question.
Had the question been "Where is your shoe?"

Koir 05-18-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West (Post 812425)
Actually, because shoes is plural, are is the proper verb for the question.
Had the question been "Where is your shoe?"

My post was explaining the presence of "understood grammatical errors" when speaking. Yes, the sentence is grammatically incorrect, but it's phrased that way due to the understood context.

tl;dr It's right, but wrong.

yumyumtimtam 05-19-2010 01:46 PM

what's よゆう in English?

Hi;)

Can any one tell me how to say "気持ちに余裕がなかった" in English?

I wanted to say this when I...

I had a few demanding customers and I was very upset and tired and all...
so I was totally stressed out and could get angry so easily.
I am usually a happy person but at that time, I was not smiling much...

A friend of mine mentioned about it so I wanted to tell her「あの時は気持ちに余裕がなかったんだよね~」but I couldn't !

English is not easy!

I learnt new words today.
"cob" and "cod"
but easily forget which is which...
which is fish!?

Koir 05-19-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam (Post 812621)
I learnt new words today.
"cob" and "cod"
oopsie...which was a fish??? Oh I forgot again!

"Cod" is a fish. "Cob" is most often used when describing corn (eg. a cob of corn).

Hope that helps :)

Klint 05-19-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 812623)
"Cod" is a fish. "Cob" is most often used when describing corn (eg. a cob of corn).

Hope that helps :)

And "CoD" is a first person shooter series. :)