JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

another question! - 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM

How do you call ゴミ箱 ごみ袋 in English?

In Australia they call it rubbish bin I think.
I heard that people call it trash can or garbage can in the USA.

This case "can" doesn't mean "tin" right? but it means some kind of container or a bucket?

How about just a bag for rubbish?
like a plastic one? Can I call them rubbish bag or trash bag?

So...
Can I say like... "Can you put the sticky stuff in the rubbish bag(trash/garbage bag) please"? make sense?

or you don't call them like that?
Should I call it just a bag?

Sorry
my silly question again!
(#182 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2010, 10:03 AM

[quote=yumyumtimtam;830131].mmm now I'm curious, I will find it and have another look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam View Post
Oh, he likes rugby not soccer?
Yeah, he used to like playing soccer (football in the UK) but he doesn't like watching it. He thinks football players are too vain, and are wimps.

Quote:
wow, hundreds?
My little sister had some but maybe around 10.
They are bunnies? mice?
All sorts of animals; Families: Sylvanianfamilies.com I used to get a whole family every christmas and a few single dolls for my birthday every year, and I was given all my sister's ones (she preferred My Little Pony), and some of my cousins too, so I had a lot of duplicates!

Quote:
We had many of these. You might have seen some of them when you were in Japan maybe?
Oh yes! I remember these. I think I saw these as a kid too, but I didn't like them that much for some reason. Maybe because the face is plastic, not fuzzy.

Quote:
How do you call ゴミ箱 ごみ袋 in English?

In Australia they call it rubbish bin I think.
I heard that people call it trash can or garbage can in the USA.

This case "can" doesn't mean "tin" right? but it means some kind of container or a bucket?

How about just a bag for rubbish?
like a plastic one? Can I call them rubbish bag or trash bag?

So...
Can I say like... "Can you put the sticky stuff in the rubbish bag(trash/garbage bag) please"? make sense?

or you don't call them like that?
Should I call it just a bag?
This is one of those things where there are lots of words for it, and everyone tends to prefer something different. In my family, we call it the 'bin' or the 'dustbin', regardless of if it's big and outside the house, or small and inside the house. If it is one of these: http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/up...heelie-bin.jpg then it's called a 'wheelie bin'. We call the bags 'bin bags'.

But you're right, people in different places, even in the same country call the ゴミ rubbish, garbage or trash, and the ゴミ箱 a trash can, garbage can, garbage bin, rubbish bin, wastebasket or dustbin depending on what they prefer. In the past, 'wastebasket's were always made of basket, and a 'trash can' was called a 'can' because it was made of shiny metal and looked like a big tin-can, but now they can be made of anything.

The words are all really interchangeable, but I had to make a distinction, it would be this;

Garbage- food waste; so organic matter; vegetable and meat etc
Rubbish- dry things; packaging for example. Old clothes etc Potentially you can find things in the 'rubbish' that might still be useable.
Trash- dry things, but usually broken or completely in-usable.

So the big difference is between garbage and trash/rubbish.

For example, I might have a bin in my bedroom, but I'd only put rubbish or trash in it; not garbage, because garbage rots and is very smelly. I might not bother with a bag at all, if it's lots of things like scrap paper, dust and clean plastic. I might allow a small amount of garbage in the kitchen bin, but i'd empty it much more frequently, and use a proper garbage bag to stop it leaking everywhere and stinking.
(#183 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Yeah, he used to like playing soccer (football in the UK) but he doesn't like watching it. He thinks football players are too vain, and are wimps.
yeah vain but wimps?

Quote:
All sorts of animals; Families: Sylvanianfamilies.com I used to get a whole family every christmas and a few single dolls for my birthday every year, and I was given all my sister's ones (she preferred My Little Pony), and some of my cousins too, so I had a lot of duplicates!
You lucky!
Do you still have any of them?

My parents still keep many of them and we have to throw them out...but feel sad and bad to do it.... we might do something at the shirine or something...

Quote:
Oh yes! I remember these. I think I saw these as a kid too, but I didn't like them that much for some reason. Maybe because the face is plastic, not fuzzy.
hahaha, yes their faces were plastic.
The reason I liked them was that they can put their thumbs in their mouths like little kids do and I thought it was cute.
But yes there were some kids got scared of them cos their faces were plastic.
Quote:
This is one of those things where there are lots of words for it, and everyone tends to prefer something different. In my family, we call it the 'bin' or the 'dustbin', regardless of if it's big and outside the house, or small and inside the house. If it is one of these: http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/up...heelie-bin.jpg then it's called a 'wheelie bin'. We call the bags 'bin bags'.
I see.cos they've got the wheels!
In my family we call it  外のゴミ箱 or ゴミいれ.
Quote:
But you're right, people in different places, even in the same country call the ゴミ rubbish, garbage or trash, and the ゴミ箱 a trash can, garbage can, garbage bin, rubbish bin, wastebasket or dustbin depending on what they prefer. In the past, 'wastebasket's were always made of basket, and a 'trash can' was called a 'can' because it was made of shiny metal and looked like a big tin-can, but now they can be made of anything.
that's right. I sometimes have this conversation with my friends place.
『ごみどこに入れたら良い?ゴミ箱どこ?』
「ゴミ箱ないから その袋に入れておいて。ゴミ袋にし よう。」
『このレジ袋? だめだよ 穴があいてるよ!プラスチ ック(リサイクル)ゴミの袋はどこ?』

わかる?
Quote:
The words are all really interchangeable, but I had to make a distinction, it would be this;
Garbage- food waste; so organic matter; vegetable and meat etc
Rubbish- dry things; packaging for example. Old clothes etc Potentially you can find things in the 'rubbish' that might still be useable.
Trash- dry things, but usually broken or completely in-usable.

So the big difference is between garbage and trash/rubbish.

For example, I might have a bin in my bedroom, but I'd only put rubbish or trash in it; not garbage, because garbage rots and is very smelly. I might not bother with a bag at all, if it's lots of things like scrap paper, dust and clean plastic. I might allow a small amount of garbage in the kitchen bin, but i'd empty it much more frequently, and use a proper garbage bag to stop it leaking everywhere and stinking.
Wow, thank you for the great lecture of ごみ! I enjoyed it very very much.
Garbage は「生ごみ」 だね

私が住んでいる地域では「燃やせるゴミ」と「燃やせな いゴミ」「プラスチックごみ」「資源ごみ」に分けて捨 ててるよ。
How can I explain this in proper English?Can you correct them for me?

In the area where I live right now,
We separate the things we want to throw away into 4 groups.
1)"Burnable" kitchen garbage,pieces of clothes...

2)"not burnable(actually this is for "shouldn't be burn" cos it makes toxic smoke)" plastic but not recycable ones: broken toys,rubber stuff and so on.

3)"plastic rubbish for recycle" especially packaging, usually very thin.

4)"recycable trash" tin-can,PET and glass bottles,clothes,papers,books,magazines,carton and all that.

This area, we only have once a month to throw this recycable trash, so there are still many people can't wait that long and put all the recycable stuff in the other bin bags to get rid off them as soon as possible.
The G'ment here isn't very good.
We pay for the bin bags but the system isn't working well.
I really want them to learn the better way like North European countries do.

The rules of "throwing things out" is different from the areas,
I mean depending on the prefectures,cities,towns,villages and each communities...
My parents place for example, they are living in a 10-story buidling and they have their own garbage/trash place, and they can use them almost everyday so they don't have to keep the garbage/trash in their rooms for a long time.

but my place, we only have 2 days (and only for 2 hours 6:30-8:30!)for garbage and only 1 day for recycable plastic and notburnable trash.
When I went to the rubbish place arond 8:40 in a morning.There was a old woman got crossed and said "Time's up, bring your garbage back to your place and come again in time" but I asked her to let me leave the garbage this time cos I wouldn't be able to come back home another 3 weeks, cos my business trip. but she said "NA.It's the rule", then the rubbish collecting car came, and I asked the driver if it's OK, then he said it's no problem cos I came before them. but the old woman said to the driver "Don't say that, this girl would do that again!"... The driver was very nice and kind sait to me "Girl, you look like you have to go to work right? Please leave your rubbish before 8:30 next time ok?" and he smiled. (oh I was almost fall in love with that old man!)

oops I have to go now

Have a good day Columbine ちゃん
(#184 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
yeah vain but wimps?
Like often you see a soccer player trip over or something and he'll just sit on the field holding his foot going ToT, until the nice doctor comes to make it all better. But in rugby you often see them fall over or crack their heads on each other and be bleeding a lot, but they won't want to stop playing. The doctor sometimes has to come over and order them off the field!

Quote:
You're lucky!
Do you still have any of them?
Yes I do! They're all in our attic, with the dollshouse that my grandpa made for my mum when she was a little girl.

Quote:
In my family we call it  外のゴミ箱 or ゴミいれ.
that's right. I sometimes have this conversation with my friends place.
『ごみどこに入れたら良い?ゴミ箱どこ?』
「ゴミ箱ないから その袋に入れておいて。ゴミ袋にし よう。」
『このレジ袋? だめだよ 穴があいてるよ!プラスチ ック(リサイクル)ゴミの袋はどこ?』

わかる?
えええ、そですか。日本でも、ゴミの言葉はよく換える ね。

*w*何かを学んだ〜garbage = 生ゴミ
I think your description of the four kinds is good. 燃やせないゴミ includes things like old electronic equipment too, right? And sharp things like broken china. We're not supposed to throw them away in the normal rubbish either.

My area is unusual, we have to separate all our rubbish too and my dad also makes a lot of compost for the garden, so we don't actually throw out all our vegetable scraps or tea-bags and things.
So we have:
生ゴミ 
庭ゴミ (木の枝など)
定ゴミ (煤塵や資源できないプラスチックやお手洗い ゴミや服や段ボール箱)
資源ごみ (紙、あきカン、ペット、グラス便、)
If you want to recycle cardboard, batteries or clothes, you have to take them to a special collection site, and if you want to throw out electronics, you're supposed to take them yourself, or post them to the rubbish people to dispose of. If they're big, like a TV or a fridge, or furniture, you have to arrange for someone to come to your house to collect it.
In my house, we try to be really careful and not buy anything we can't recycle, so we don't throw out much rubbish. It's important, because in our area we can't burn rubbish so it all has to be buried, but there's not much room.

yyttさんのアパートは厳しいそう! We just put ours out once a week in the morning and leave it out for the bin men or recycling people to collect. We only get each thing picked up once every two weeks though, so sometimes if we have a lot of recycling, we have to put it in the garage for a while. >_>;
(#185 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Like often you see a soccer player trip over or something and he'll just sit on the field holding his foot going ToT, until the nice doctor comes to make it all better. But in rugby you often see them fall over or crack their heads on each other and be bleeding a lot, but they won't want to stop playing. The doctor sometimes has to come over and order them off the field!
Yes, that's right!
They're sometimes acting/pretending right?
Quote:
Yes I do! They're all in our attic, with the dollshouse that my grandpa made for my mum when she was a little girl.
attiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic???? oh you have an attic. How how how lovely!
To own an attic is one of my dream!
Quote:
えええ、そですか。日本でも、ゴミの言葉はよく換えるね(How about this?:いろいろなゴミの呼び方があるね)
*w*何かを学んだ (you meant you've learnt something (new)?how about this?新しいことを知った)

〜garbage = 生ゴミ
Quote:
I think your description of the four kinds is good. 燃やせないゴミ includes things like old electronic equipment too, right? And sharp things like broken china. We're not supposed to throw them away in the normal rubbish either.
Yes including electronic stuff.
I guess it's not a big problem for many of the people in UK, cos they have enough space like garages or gardens... here in Japan many of us have no spare space... so keeping rubbish and trash and all could be a big problem.
Quote:
My area is unusual, we have to separate all our rubbish too and my dad also makes a lot of compost for the garden, so we don't actually throw out all our vegetable scraps or tea-bags and things.
That's great! I'd love to have a good system for compost when I have got a house with garden. (Im thinking of buying one if I find a good deal, I want to use it as a backpacker's accommodation as well as for living and also for my students)
Quote:
So we have:
生ゴミ 
庭ゴミ (木の枝など)
定?ゴミ (煤塵や資源できないプラスチックやお手洗いゴ ミや服や段ボール箱)
資源ごみ (紙、あきカン、ペットボトルガラス瓶、)
If you want to recycle cardboard, batteries or clothes, you have to take them to a special collection site, and if you want to throw out electronics, you're supposed to take them yourself, or post them to the rubbish people to dispose of. If they're big, like a TV or a fridge, or furniture, you have to arrange for someone to come to your house to collect it.
Sounds very similar here.
To throw the big stuff, we have to pay for it in my parents place.
The other day they had to throw some table, I think they paid around 1000yen. I think the city collect all the big stuff and give it to someone who wants it and if they coudn't find any one then they probablly burn it.

Quote:
In my house, we try to be really careful and not buy anything we can't recycle, so we don't throw out much rubbish. It's important, because in our area we can't burn rubbish so it all has to be buried, but there's not much room.
Is it because for the environment? not to burn any rubbish?
Quote:
yyttさんのアパートは厳しいそう! We just put ours out once a week in the morning and leave it out for the b
in men or recycling people to collect. We only get each thing picked up once every two weeks though, so sometimes if we have a lot of recycling, we have to put it in the garage for a while. >_>;
そのアパートはもう出ましたよ。
他にも色々な昔から続く今の時代に合わないルールがあ ったよ。
問題も多かったんだ。多くの若い住人はそれを変えたい のに、声を上げないの。
みんなで話し合って助け合って、住みやすい環境をつく ろうと努力すれば
もっとそこに暮らすのが楽しくなるのにね。

じゃまたね~
いろいろ教えてくれてありがとう
(#186 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I guess it's not a big problem for many of the people in UK, cos they have enough space like garages or gardens... here in Japan many of us have no spare space... so keeping rubbish and trash and all could be a big problem.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I live in the country side, so we have an older house and lot of room, but in the cities and suburbs, lots of new houses are really crowded together and they're really small, so keeping things can be really impractical.

Quote:
That's great! I'd love to have a good system for compost when I have got a house with garden. (Im thinking of buying one if I find a good deal, I want to use it as a backpacker's accommodation as well as for living and also for my students)
Sounds awesome YYTTsan! I want to build a wormery. It's like a special compost bin you can put in the middle of a vegetable patch for the worms, and then they help your vegetables to grow!

Quote:
To throw the big stuff, we have to pay for it in my parents place.
The other day they had to throw some table, I think they paid around 1000yen. I think the city collect all the big stuff and give it to someone who wants it and if they coudn't find any one then they probablly burn it.
Sometimes we have to pay, but often it's free. If it's still in good condition though, you can usually just sell it to someone else! I don't know what they do with it after they take it away.

For some reason there's nowhere to take rubbish for burning. There's a few special places where they burn rubbish to get electricity, but they're not very common, so it all just gets buried. I think you're right, we don't burn rubbish because that makes pollution.

あたしのにほんごを直してありがとう!毎日毎日英語し か使わないので、日本語で話し方を忘れちゃっているわ 。T__T 

Quote:
 そのアパートはもう出ましたよ。
他にも色々な昔から続く今の時代に合わないルールがあ ったよ。
問題も多かったんだ。多くの若い住人はそれを変えたい のに、声を上げないの。
みんなで話し合って助け合って、住みやすい環境をつく ろうと努力すれば
もっとそこに暮らすのが楽しくなるのにね。
そうですね。私の高校も昔から続く今の時代に合わない ルールがあった。たとえば、一年生は正面玄関で入って はいけない、脇戸で入らなくちゃならない。女性はズボ ンを着るのはだめ。色々なばかのルルがあったよ。しか し、私は二年生ごろ、先生たちと生徒はいっしょうに、 ルルを換えた。

ねえ、ちょっと聞いてよ!これは私の1000のポスト !何か記念日みたいよ。*W*そして、昨日、サマーウ ーズを見た! 本当に面白かったや。 I enjoyed seeing all the locations
(#187 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

☆祝☆1000投稿 Columbine ちゃん *\(^ー^)/* - 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I live in the country side, so we have an older house and lot of room, but in the cities and suburbs, lots of new houses are really crowded together and they're really small, so keeping things can be really impractical.
Yeah, sure! I just wonder how they deal with the rubbish in London!?

Quote:
Sounds awesome YYTTsan! I want to build a wormery. It's like a special compost bin you can put in the middle of a vegetable patch for the worms, and then they help your vegetables to grow!
"wormery" sounds great! I love to do organic farm, so I really need their help!
Quote:
Sometimes we have to pay, but often it's free. If it's still in good condition though, you can usually just sell it to someone else! I don't know what they do with it after they take it away.
It's not easy to sell second hand in Japan, maybe cos many people have got plenty of stuff already.
Actually my parents want to throw a lot of things away like... my father's golf clubs set which was more than 100000yen but we can't find amyone want it!So he will pay to throw away.One of my friends just moved to Yokohama, she wants their old rice cooker, so Im going to bring it to her place next week.That's the only thing they could give away.
They have got some chairs and tables...and lots more!Do you want any?
Quote:
For some reason there's nowhere to take rubbish for burning. There's a few special places where they burn rubbish to get electricity, but they're not very common, so it all just gets buried. I think you're right, we don't burn rubbish because that makes pollution.
I just wonder where they bring it and buried? Do they make some manmade land or something?
Quote:
あたしのにほんごを直してくれてありがとう!

毎日毎日英語しか使わないので、日本語話し方を忘れちゃっているわ。T__T 

そうですね。私の高校も昔から続く今の時代に合わない ルールがあった。
たとえば、一年生は正面玄関から入ってはいけない、脇戸?から入らなくちゃならない。
女性はズボンを着るのはだめ。
色々なばかのルルがあったよ。
しかし、私二年生のころ、先生と生徒いっしょに、ルルをえた。

ねえ、ちょっと聞いてよ!
これは私の1000のポスト!
何か記念日みたいよ。*W*
そして、昨日、サマーウォーズを見た! 本当に面白か った 。 I enjoyed seeing all the locations
Is that や come from where you lived in Japan?

Oh, Did you?!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool!

That's where me living right now!

You should visit me here and make the video together!
You speak in Japanese and me and my students speak in English in it!

Here is a picture around my school!
Can you see the train? That's the train you must have saw in the movie!(there are 3 different type of trains there)
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/sp/200903-02/index.php

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
(#188 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Actually my parents want to throw a lot of things away like... my father's golf clubs set, which was more than 100000yen but we can't find anyone want it!So he will pay to have them thrown away.
that seems like such a waste! My dad plays a lot of golf too. He's always selling his old clubs to the junior members.

Quote:
Did that や come from where you lived in Japan?
*W*そうやの!関西に住んでいたよ。:/ I really need to revise は and が, i'm always getting my particles wrong. By 脇戸 I meant 'side door'.This is how it worked at my school; (i've given ages because year groups are different to in japan)

Yeah, I saw that train in the film, and I kept an eye out for all the bits they showed of the city. It looks nice. Does the girl's big house exist too, or was that one made up for the story?
(#189 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2010, 04:59 AM

I just love your school!
They have the attic too!?

If I were a 1st grade student there, I wouldn't entre from the side door, but would climb up to the roof top and get inside from the attic!to make another rule
Actually I've got some pictures of my schools, elementary and high.
I will show you how boring those buildings are!

I will come back later with the answer to your question about the girl's house!

So till then
(#190 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I just love your school!
They have the attic too!?

If I were a 1st grade student there, I wouldn't entre from the side door, but would climb up to the roof top and get inside from the attic!to make another rule
Actually I've got some pictures of my schools, elementary and high.
I will show you how boring those buildings are!

I will come back later with the answer to your question about the girl's house!

So till then
There wasn't an attic (they turned it into the Library) but there was a box-room (しゅうのうしつ?) full of really old suitcases and theatre equipment. The school building in the photo was actually used as an army hospital in WW2 as well, and under the stage, there's a bomb shelter (ぼうくうごう?) with a ramp so they could just wheel all the patients down there in their beds! Our school was pretty exciting really!