(#31 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-09-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam View Post
You can get soysauce right?

put a little bit of soysauce on the nori for sushi, then put it in the toaster!
you can put sesami oil too!

you can get crunchy nori
fresh from the toaster!
Hopefully you mean toaster ovens and not the regular (vertical) toasters. The first thought I had was "Sauce in a toaster? It would run all over the place and burn!"

But then I take things to illogical extremes

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Hopefully you mean toaster ovens and not the regular (vertical) toasters. The first thought I had was "Sauce in a toaster? It would run all over the place and burn!"

But then I take things to illogical extremes
I assumed like a grill. You could use those little toaster baggies for making grilled cheese sandwiches though, I guess, and just brush the sauce on lightly.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

sorry about my English - 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM

hi there,

sorry about my English, forgive me.

so... now you've got the idea right, right?

for one nori sheet, maybe one table spoonful of soysauce

if you have a brush (like...for painting), it will be the best way to spread the sauce thin

then put it into the toaster (oh so you call it toaster oven!?) for 1 min will be enough or maybe less than 1 min.

Please try it and tell me how it went!

by the way...

do you know "TimTam"s?

can you teach me how should have explained?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
hi there,

It's quite alright.

Quote:
then put it into the toaster (oh so you call it toaster oven!?) for 1 min will be enough or maybe less than 1 min.
Yeah, that's what I call what looks like a miniature oven with an adjustable grill and broiling sheets.

Quote:
by the way...

do you know "TimTam"s?
The words aren't familiar to me, I admit.

Quote:
Most of the confusion came from a difference in perception between "toaster" and "toaster oven". You expressed the concept in the way you were comfortable, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm familiar with both appliances, but my first instinct was to think of the vertical toaster used for bread. My thought process is odd that way. :P

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

02-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
hi there,

so... now you've got the idea right, right?

for one nori sheet, maybe one table spoonful of soysauce

if you have a brush (like...for painting), it will be the best way to spread the sauce thin

Please try it and tell me how it went!

by the way...

do you know "TimTam"s?

Your english is quite good, actually.

I'll try and buy some nori soon. I have a brush I keep specially for cooking. It's useful when making pies and getting the pastry to stick together.

Tim-tams are those Australian cookies right? I've never tried them, but I know a lot of people like them. I guess you must like tim-tams a lot!

Maybe if you had described the "toaster" a bit it would have helped; but you weren't to know that 'toaster ovens' and 'toasters' are different in Canada and England. Some words are very interchangeable. Like, we don't have toaster ovens much in the UK, just bread toasters and a 'grill' which is an electric wire that gets red hot (or a gas flame); you put the food in a tray underneath it. But a 'grill' in America normally means a BBQ.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
It's quite alright.
thank you

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I call what looks like a miniature oven with an adjustable grill and broiling sheets.
Yes, that's what I meant sorry!
Some Japanese people call it "oven-toaster", but myself, call it just " toaster"...cos I don' t see many vertical toasters around me here in Japan...so... well.... (this is my "excuse")

Many people use vertical ones in your country?

Quote:
The words aren't familiar to me, I admit.
this is a timtam looks like!
http://wkp.fresheye.com/ja/4/40/180px-Tim_tam.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Your english is quite good, actually.
thank you... but I need to be good... cos I teach English here in Japan... but I still make a lot of mistakes...so I really have to be serious about this, but I am too lazy!
Quote:
I'll try and buy some nori soon. I have a brush I keep specially for cooking. It's useful when making pies and getting the pastry to stick together.
oh sounds like you like cooking!
I have a lisence teaching home economics, but I am not good at cooking and I don't really like cooking... Im lucky cos people around me, they are good at it and cook for me!

Hope you like that nori!

Quote:
Tim-tams are those Australian cookies right? I've never tried them, but I know a lot of people like them. I guess you must like tim-tams a lot!
Yes, I liked it too much and I put +14 kg when I was in Australia.
I love Timtams, but my favourite is chotolate&mint biscuits... I can't find any in Japan...

Oh by the way, what's the difference between cookie and biscuit?
Quote:
Maybe if you had described the "toaster" a bit it would have helped; but you weren't to know that 'toaster ovens' and 'toasters' are different in Canada and England. Some words are very interchangeable. Like, we don't have toaster ovens much in the UK, just bread toasters and a 'grill' which is an electric wire that gets red hot (or a gas flame); you put the food in a tray underneath it. But a 'grill' in America normally means a BBQ.
I see.
In Japan, I think...many people have their toaster ovens (In Japanese,Oven-toaster)... I use it for toasting bread of course but also for "もちmochi"

oh, I want to ask you about microwave ovens.
I heard some people call it just "microwave"... do you call it like that or "microwave oven"?
In Japanese we call it 電子レンジ(microwave range).
and it's called レンジ for short. (is "for short" right English?)

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 02-11-2010 at 01:50 PM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

02-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
thank you... but I need to be good... cos I teach English here in Japan... but I still make a lot of mistakes...so I really have to be serious about this, but I am too lazy!
I'm interested in teaching too, but I want to teach adults, I think. I'd like to try working in Japan, only it's difficult to find a job. Have you heard of AEON? I'm wondering if I should apply...

Quote:
I have a lisence teaching home economics, but I am not good at cooking and I don't really like cooking... Im lucky cos people around me, they are good at it and cook for me!

Hope you like that nori!
I do! My mother is a really good cook and she taught me most things. I like to cook a lot of asian food.

Quote:
I love Timtams, but my favourite is chotolate&mint biscuits... I can't find any in Japan...
I saw timtams for sale at an import store in Osaka so I bought some for my australian friend. She was really pleased. Shame you can't find any chocolate mint ones though. They sound good.

It's hard to say what the difference is. In the UK, cookies are always soft and chewy and biscuits hard and crisp, but in America Oreo's are called cookies and they're hard. Sometimes too, "biscuits" in america are more like a kind of bread, but that's what we'd call a 'scone' in england. :/ It's all rather confusing.

Quote:
I see.
In Japan, I think...many people have their toaster ovens (In Japanese,Oven-toaster)... I use it for toasting bread of course but also for "もちmochi"

oh, I want to ask you about microwave ovens.
I heard some people call it just "microwave"... do you call it like that or "microwave oven"?
In Japanese we call it 電子レンジ(microwave range).
and it's called レンジ for short. (is "for short" right English?)
I used a toaster oven in Japan. It's quite clever how some people can use them to bake cakes and all sorts of things. I was amazed. I just made toast in it and heated up bento. Toasted mochi are great!

I just call it a "microwave" because it's shorter and easier. I think most people do that.
Yep, "for short" is correct.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

hello again - 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I'm interested in teaching too, but I want to teach adults, I think. I'd like to try working in Japan, only it's difficult to find a job. Have you heard of AEON? I'm wondering if I should apply...
If you are under 30 you can get a working holiday visa to come to Japan and work for a year or more right?

I heard JET prpgramme is the best way to work in Japan as an English teacher
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme--

I had a few friends used to work for those private English schools, but...

Well...anyway, I say "just go for it!"
If I were you, I will apply many companies and see what I get!

Quote:
I do! My mother is a really good cook and she taught me most things. I like to cook a lot of asian food.
Great!
when you get a job in Japan, please live near my place
we can have a party every weekend!
everyone cooks, not me... but I will clean up!

Quote:
I saw timtams for sale at an import store in Osaka so I bought some for my australian friend. She was really pleased. Shame you can't find any chocolate mint ones though. They sound good.
You are kind!

you know... I can find chocolate mint, but not the biscuit ones...
I am going to Australia in a few months so Im going to buy a lot of them!

Quote:
It's hard to say what the difference is. In the UK, cookies are always soft and chewy and biscuits hard and crisp, but in America Oreo's are called cookies and they're hard. Sometimes too, "biscuits" in america are more like a kind of bread, but that's what we'd call a 'scone' in england. :/ It's all rather confusing.
I see.

I asked my friends about it too, but everyone has got their own opinions about it and I still don't know the differences...

My image of cookies are smaller and thinner.
and biscuits are bigger or thicker.

I love scone too!

you know what? it's midnight but I am hungry...

Quote:
I used a toaster oven in Japan. It's quite clever how some people can use them to bake cakes and all sorts of things. I was amazed. I just made toast in it and heated up bento. Toasted mochi are great!
aren't they?
toasted mochi with Natto and mayo&Soysauce with nori!

Quote:
I just call it a "microwave" because it's shorter and easier. I think most people do that.
Yep, "for short" is correct.
I see, thank you! I will call it microwave from now on!
but how about "micro" ? too short?

have a lovely day columbine-san!

おおきに
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Klint (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
thank you

Yes, that's what I meant sorry!
Some Japanese people call it "oven-toaster", but myself, call it just " toaster"...cos I don' t see many vertical toasters around me here in Japan...so... well.... (this is my "excuse")

Many people use vertical ones in your country?
Yes! It would be much more strange here if someone didn't have a toaster actually. In fact, I can't recall a time seeing a kitchen without a toaster in it. People here like their sandwiches I guess.

Quote:
That looks delicious.
Almost like a rectangular Ring Ding: http://slicedbreadtwo.com/images/uploads/ringding.jpg

Quote:
Actually, I can't really find many mistakes in your grammar or spelling. If I didn't know English wasn't your first language to begin with, the thought probably wouldn't even pop into my head.

Quote:

Hope you like that nori!
Me neither. I rarely have the patience to cook because usually by the time I decide to eat something, I'm practically starving and can't concentrate on gathering ingredients and cooking them. Plus, I almost always ruin what I try to cook.

Quote:

I don't remember ever hearing a clear definition of the two, but to me cookies are generally sweeter than biscuits. There's actually an Italian sub shop right down the street from me that sells these giant cookies that are about a foot in diameter each.

Quote:
Probably, at least I've never heard it shortened to micro. But given the right context, I'd assume people would understand.

"Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?"
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

02-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
If you are under 30 you can get a working holiday visa to come to Japan and work for a year or more right?

I heard JET prpgramme is the best way to work in Japan as an English teacher
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme--

I had a few friends used to work for those private English schools, but...

Well...anyway, I say "just go for it!"
If I were you, I will apply many companies and see what I get!
はいい〜頑張れます。I tried the JET programme, but I didn't get an interview. I've hear mixed things about the private eikaiwa companies. Some people really enjoyed working with them, others didn't. I have friends who live in the Kansai area, so maybe I could just go and live with them for a while. :P

Quote:
Great!
when you get a job in Japan, please live near my place
we can have a party every weekend!
everyone cooks, not me... but I will clean up!
haha~ sounds fun. I've never been to Kanagawa. What's it like?

Quote:
I see.

I asked my friends about it too, but everyone has got their own opinions about it and I still don't know the differences...

My image of cookies are smaller and thinner.
and biscuits are bigger or thicker.

I love scone too!

you know what? it's midnight but I am hungry...
I see it the other way around Here, cookies are normally bigger. This is what I think of as 'cookie' http://www.delicedefrance.co.uk/dyna...e%20Cookie.jpg and this is what I think of as a biscuit: http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwik...e_biscuits.jpg
If it doesn't fall apart when I dip in my tea, I count it as a biscuit!

Scones are lovely. I really like them with homemade jam.

Quote:
aren't they?
toasted mochi with Natto and mayo&Soysauce with nori!
I used to get ones with miso on them. Yum!

Quote:
Mm, that's probably too short, and 'micro' as a word has a meaning all of it's own. A microwave oven isn't small, so it would seem a bit weird to call it a 'micro'. I can't even think of any slang terms for microwave, except for saying something like "nuke the chicken in the microwave" instead of "cook the chicken in the microwave". '

Quote:
have a lovely day columbine-san!

おおきに
You too!
hahah, いえいえ〜