JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lucagalbu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Is this message right? - 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Hi! I had to send a message to a physics forum, but I'd like to know if it's syntactically and grammatically correct. Can you please check it out?

"Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks"

And just another thing: I used to start topics saying: "Hi there!": is this right or it sounds wrong/odd?

Thank you!

E'l naufragar m'è dolce in questo mare di Dirac.
(And to flounder in this Dirac sea is sweet to me.)
Leopardi feat Paul Dirac
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Your message seems fine to me, it appears to be grammatically correct at least. Also 'Hi there!' sounds fine, it's a perfectly acceptable expression to use in greeting in an informal setting.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AwakenxBenihime (Offline)
New to JF

07-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucagalbu View Post
Hi! I had to send a message to a physics forum, but I'd like to know if it's syntactically and grammatically correct. Can you please check it out?

"Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks"

And just another thing: I used to start topics saying: "Hi there!": is this right or it sounds wrong/odd?

Thank you!
Actually I think it should be "so that means that I can also find matrices of higher dimensions." I'm sure they'll understand you either way

And "Hi There!" is perfectly fine
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

seems cool!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucagalbu View Post

Thanks"

Thank you!
It could read something like:

"Hi! I was taught that dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, which means I can also find matrices of higher dimensions than that. The question is, what do these higher-dimension matrices represent? Are they purely mathematically abstract or do they have a physical meaning? I ask this because in every textbook I've used or course I've taken, I've only used 4x4 matrices.
Thanks"

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 07:25 PM

I would not add the "than that".