JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JonesInLondon (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to JonesInLondon
Language Exchange - My English/Chinese for Your Japanese - 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM

As a native Hongkongese, Cantonese is my mother tongue. At part-time workplace (London China Town), I have learned and been using Mandarin there for a few years as well. The Mandarin accent I've learned is basically a blend of different parts of China and Malaysia, as most colleagues in China Town come from various locations in China or Malaysia, so the accent itself may not be as original as one particular place, but it is easily understandable and practically useful at workplace.

Since I've been studying in London for 3 years and then working there as an assistant manager in a hostel (talking in only English with travelers and colleagues all day long!) for another 3 years, my English is pretty fluent (may be JUST not as native as locals). As a side note, I've scored 7.5 in IELTS, so it should give a general idea of what you can expect, either conversational or written.

And as the title stated, I wish to learn Japanese and can exchange with English and/or Cantonese+/Mandarin. Not only just basic conversational Japanese, but I actually want to learn proper Japanese, both in speaking and written terms. And in return, I will try my very best in providing all the necessary support (setting up notes for extra learning, exercises for practice, etc.) on top of conversational practice if you want to learn another language from the basics (and I can guarantee you can learn the language properly, without any kind of grammatical error).

If anyone is interested in learning English or Chinese, please feel free to contact here or via email: jones.london@gmail.com . (In case if you are also in London, I'll be more than glad if there's a chance to get some face-to-face learning exchange and practice. Any Starbucks or Costa will do)

P.S. A lot may wonder why I just don't go straight for proper classes, and the reason for that is I have 2 full-time jobs, which basically means I CANNOT attend classes in normal hours, but during the hours in the hostel I can actually spend most of those time to do self-learning and arrange time to do some online conversational practice as well (and time for preparing notes and exercises if you need).

Last edited by JonesInLondon : 05-30-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more details
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2010, 12:52 PM

I am from HK too.

My suggestion is that there are a lot of native English speakers here. You should focus on selling your Mandarin Chinese. Please tell people how good your Mandarin accent is.

And I just wonder if anyone in the world would be interested in learning Cantonese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JonesInLondon (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Hi Sakaeyello.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and I have made a minor amendment accordingly. =P

Regarding the popularity issue, in conversational terms, there may not be any demand for Cantonese at all in most cases. It can be helpful if one can understand, but not essential, so it is just an additional asset that one may consider. (Though in HK, one will REALLY struggle to work or even just communicate with fellow colleagues if a person can't understand Cantonese at all =P).

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion again.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
avicus (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to avicus
05-31-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm interested in learning Cantonese! I only picked up a bit so far from TVB series.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avicus View Post
I'm interested in learning Cantonese! I only picked up a bit so far from TVB series.
What is your native language?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JonesInLondon (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2010, 03:17 PM

Hi avicus.

Thanks for your reply and I've sent you a pm. I look forward to your reply.