JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chiquita (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chiquita
Wink Learning Korean ( Hangul ) - 11-18-2010, 02:45 PM

I have been learning recently Korean language, which I find it quite enjoyable. All my friends come from different parts of asia; nepal, china and malayssia, and because of them I became so addicted to learn an asian language *-*
Next year Im going university to do a degree level in Modern language ( im fluent in portugues, spanish and english) ; but now just for fun im learning hangul, i wont lie it is quite hard to put 2gether the words. Specially that this is my first time learning asian writing and the teacher is just amazing tutor.

Tell me your experience in learning a new language!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquita View Post
I have been learning recently Korean language, which I find it quite enjoyable. All my friends come from different parts of asia; nepal, china and malayssia, and because of them I became so addicted to learn an asian language *-*
Next year Im going university to do a degree level in Modern language ( im fluent in portugues, spanish and english) ; but now just for fun im learning hangul, i wont lie it is quite hard to put 2gether the words. Specially that this is my first time learning asian writing and the teacher is just amazing tutor.

Tell me your experience in learning a new language!!
This thread is off-topic and should belong here instead.

I would also like to point out that Korean also uses small amounts of Hanja, so writing Korean (Hangul) is sort of like writing Japanese (Hiragana). With emphasis on "sort of".

Now, to get back to your question...

When I was learning Japanese, my Chinese background helped me identify kanji easier. That said, they were some false friends like 「大家」 ("大家" means "everyone" in Chinese), and 「邪魔」. (looks suspiciously close to "恶魔")

Last edited by Decimus : 11-18-2010 at 06:36 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I would also like to point out that Korean also uses small amounts of Hanja, so writing Korean (Hangul) is sort of like writing Japanese (Hiragana). With emphasis on "sort of".
Compared to Japanese use of Kanji, there seems to be much less use of Hanja with Hangul. And at least there is only one version of Hangul, unlike having to learn Hiragana, and then Katana, before even getting to the Kanji.
But this is from someone who still is a rank beginner in both of those languages.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Compared to Japanese use of Kanji, there seems to be much less use of Hanja with Hangul. And at least there is only one version of Hangul, unlike having to learn Hiragana, and then Katana, before even getting to the Kanji.
But this is from someone who still is a rank beginner in both of those languages.

Sorry, but that was too good to pass up.

Well, I did emphasize the word 'sort of'.

Anyway, my point was that Hangul is a writing system, rather than the language itself. You can similarly write English (Latin Alphabet), Chinese (Hanzi), and Russian (Cyrillic Alphabet)... which don't really make sense unless you are just learning the writing system.

I think the OP meant "Korean (Hangungmal/Hangugeo)", or "Korean (Chosŏnmal/Chosŏnŏ)", depending on which side of the border he's referring to. ('though I doubt it's the latter.)

Last edited by Decimus : 11-18-2010 at 10:13 PM.