JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   could you check my translation? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/35491-could-you-check-my-translation.html)

Sakusakusakura 01-04-2011 06:27 AM

could you check my translation?

I need to translate it from English to Japanses.
Could you check my Japanese translation, please?

English: I'm not sure if this is the kind of qualifications your looking for, but It's Better To Know Then To Wonder

日本語:これがあなたの求めている資格かどうかはわか りませんが、悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って。

I think Then should be Than.
In this case, it's better for who? (you or the writer?)
「悩むよりはお伝えした方がいいと思いまして。」?

Thank you for your help.

masaegu 01-04-2011 07:32 AM

日英どちらが翻訳なのでしょうか。

Sakusakusakura 01-04-2011 07:41 AM

ごめんなさい!

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 844934)
日英どちらが翻訳なのでしょうか。

masaeguさま

日本語の翻訳をチェックしてほしいのです(>_<)
特にIt's better~からが:confused:

masaegu 01-04-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakusakusakura (Post 844935)
masaeguさま

日本語の翻訳をチェックしてほしいのです(>_<)
特にIt's better~からが:confused:

意味自体は十分に捉えられています。あとは「日本語と して」どれだけ自然であるかという問題だと思います。

就職関係であれば、「あなた」はあり得るでしょうか。 私なら「そちら」、「貴社」等を選択します。

「悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って」は意味としてはそ の通りなのですが、日本語話者が使用しそうな表現かど うかですね。 「~~かどうかが不明ですのでお尋ねい たします。」あたりではいかがでしょう。

この英文を書いた本人にとってBETTERであると言 っているんです。つまり、自分が知りたいという意味で す。

また、余計なお世話ですが、この求職者英語に問題あり です。私なら雇用しません。;)
your > you're
then > than
この手のミスをする人は他にも数多くのミスをするはず です。普通なら大学で徹底的に直されるタイプのミスで す。(北米なら)

Sakusakusakura 01-04-2011 08:33 AM

ありがとうございます。

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 844945)
意味自体は十分に捉えられています。あとは「日本語と して」どれだけ自然であるかという問題だと思います。

就職関係であれば、「あなた」はあり得るでしょうか。 私なら「そちら」、「貴社」等を選択します。

「悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って」は意味としてはそ の通りなのですが、日本語話者が使用しそうな表現かど うかですね。 「~~かどうかが不明ですのでお尋ねい たします。」あたりではいかがでしょう。

この英文を書いた本人にとってBETTERであると言 っているんです。つまり、自分が知りたいという意味で す。

また、余計なお世話ですが、この求職者英語に問題あり です。私なら雇用しません。;)
your > you're
then > than
この手のミスをする人は他にも数多くのミスをするはず です。普通なら大学で徹底的に直されるタイプのミスで す。(北米なら)

ありがとうございます:)

「悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って」は自分で訳しなが らも実は「???」でした。
つまり、彼は自分の持っている能力が会社の望む資格に 当てはまるか分からない。だけど悩んでいるよりは、聞 いて確かめてみよう。とりあえず自分はこれができると 言ってみようと思った。という感じでしょうか?

翻訳者としては雇用は難しそうですね。
ご意見&解説ありがとうございました★

Supperman 01-04-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakusakusakura (Post 844922)
English: but It's Better To Know Then To Wonder

日本語:悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って。

「悩むよりはお伝えした方がいいと思いまして。」?

Hi.
Another opinion;
迷っているくらいなら、お伝えしたほうが良いだろうと 思いまして。

I think 迷う is better than 悩む as the translation of "wonder" in this context.

これがあなたがお探しの資格かどうかわかりませんが、 迷っているくらいならお知らせした方がよろしいかと思 いまして、ご連絡差し上げた次第です。・・・・1
これがあなたがお探しの資格かどうかわかりませんが、 ためらっているくらいならば・・・と考えて思い切って お知らせ申し上げた次第です。・・・・2

どうでしょう。2なんかは、コテコテの日本語じゃない ですか。

Sakusakusakura 01-05-2011 12:25 AM

Thank you very much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supperman (Post 844964)
Hi.
Another opinion;
迷っているくらいなら、お伝えしたほうが良いだろうと 思いまして。

I think 迷う is better than 悩む as the translation of "wonder" in this context.

これがあなたがお探しの資格かどうかわかりませんが、 迷っているくらいならお知らせした方がよろしいかと思 いまして、ご連絡差し上げた次第です。・・・・1
これがあなたがお探しの資格かどうかわかりませんが、 ためらっているくらいならば・・・と考えて思い切って お知らせ申し上げた次第です。・・・・2

どうでしょう。2なんかは、コテコテの日本語じゃない ですか。

Supperman san

Thank you for your opinion!
なるほど、微妙なニュアンスですよね。
だいぶ私の当初の翻訳より分かりやすい日本語になって きました。

ありがとうございます。:)

steven 01-05-2011 02:24 AM

I'm not exactly sure about this, but it seems like you're taking a very English-languagy phrase and trying to turn it into Japanese.

Specifically, I'm talking about the "It's better to know than to wonder" phrase you used. Maybe it's me being overcautious, but I'd try to avoid using ~方がいい towards people I don't really know or with people who are clearly above me. Unless it's being used in a very general sense or in some kind of agreement with what that person is saying, then I feel it might have a slight condescending nuance. While I'm sure you could argue that "it's better to know than to wonder" is a very general phrase that is applicable to everyone you are assuming that of the reader/listener in a situation that indicates you should probably play it safer than that.

I find myself agreeing with Masaegu about your Engilsh though. While it looks fine at first glance, there are a lot of little problems that could probably supersede qualifications.

"I'm not sure if this is the kind of qualifications your looking for"

If you say "qualifications", then you should generally say "these are" instead of "this is". If you do switch "this is" to "these are" then you should also change "kind" to "kinds".

As far as "then vs than" goes. I've read before that you can apparently get away with either one, although I much prefer "than" in this situation as it just seems better. Upon reading that "then" can be itnerchanged with "than", I immediately thought it was one of those things that so many people mess up that it just became accepted over time... nevertheless I'd play it safe and use "than" in this situation.

Back to the translation, the phrase "悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って" seems to put the speaker above the listener (even if it's just to a minor degree). I'm not saying this is a good alternative, but maybe thinking along these lines would be safer--
伝えさせて頂けれ(ば/たら)と思(って/います)。。。
That would be in reference to you telling the person your (or whomever's) qualifications.

While I'm not sure how natural the phrase I just typed was, I think the thinking behind it might be a little more sound. Telling the listener that one thing is better than another is in a sense like force feeding them your way of thinking, which may not always be appropriate. What I wrote, to put it kind of abstractly, is like letting the listener know you are receiving from them--humbly, the means to convey your qualifications. In other words, you aren't assuming any actions on the listener (at least with that kind of speech you wouldn't be). Furthermore, the actions that you take are humble and below the listener as not to impose upon them.

Of course I don't know the writers' or the readers position so it's a little hard to tell. However, I think that in general more care should be taken as to not just impose actions on people who you don't know, are not too familiar with, or are above you.

"In this case, it's better for who? (you or the writer?)
「悩むよりはお伝えした方がいいと思いまして。」?"
As far as this goes, it seems as though the writer is saying it would be better to just say what he or she wants to say than to worry about it.

Also I don't think there's the need to say あなた all the time... or これが. あなた is basically rude-- and is a definite indicator of the speaker being above the listener. Saying これが too much is redundant. Instead of saying "This is ....", just say "It's ~~~" (<-- the Japanese version of course, as saying "It's 何々" to start off some English with is kind of incorrect).

Supperman 01-10-2011 01:03 AM

It's Better To Know Then To Wonderの別の訳の例

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakusakusakura (Post 844922)
I need to translate it from English to Japanses.
Could you check my Japanese translation, please?

English: I'm not sure if this is the kind of qualifications your looking for, but It's Better To Know Then To Wonder

日本語:これがあなたの求めている資格かどうかはわか りませんが、悩むよりは知る方がいいと思って。

「悩むよりはお伝えした方がいいと思いまして。」?

Thank you for your help.

【It's Better To Know Then To Wonderの和訳に関する一考察】

小生の持っている資格が、貴社の求人要件に合致するか よくわからなかったのですが、まさに「当たってくだけろ」の心境で、ご連絡申し上げた次第です。

「当たってくだけろ」って訳はどうでしょうか。
ニュアンスはぴったりしていると思うのですが、formal  situation に このcolloquial な表現を使用するのは、ちょっとふさわしくないような 気がします。さらに「謙譲」の気持ちに欠けているよう な気がします。

それなら、

小生の資格は、貴社の求めている人材ではないのかもし れない、とは思いましたが、まさに「藁をもつかむ」心境で、ご連絡申し上げた次第です。

「藁をもつかむ心境で」というのは、literal translationではないけれども、「当たってくだけろ」より 「謙譲」的な要素を含んでおり、日本的には歓迎され のではないかと思います。
特に、求職に対する応募の手紙、というcontextでは、ア かも知れないと思いました。

さらに日本的にするなら、
小生の資格ごときでは、貴社のお求めの求人人材とは程 遠いことは十分存じておりますが、まさに「藁をもつか む」心境で、御手紙をお送りさせていただいた次第であ ります。御多忙中の折、大変恐縮ではございますが、な にとぞ御高配をお願い申し上げます。
なんていう作文になりますでしょうか。
Literal translation からは、かけ離れてしまいましたが、要するに、こうい うことを言って、「採用」してほしい、ということを伝 えるのが本来の目的ならば、結構いい線をいってるので はないかと思うのですが、いかがでしょう。

Sakusakusakura 01-15-2011 12:40 AM

Thank you!

Thank you everyone! :)