LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-01-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Just out of curiosity, did any of these people (or any pre-interviewee) try to apply without a university degree or something needed for a visa? I've always wondered how many people just apply completely on a whim without any research. :L

With how you made them sound, they seem exactly that type. I'm a bit jealous I couldn't have been there tbh :L
a few applied on Working Holiday visas, just looking for 3 or 6 months of work, technically in that situation they don't need a degree...
I only put the job postings in places that people within the Kobe/Kansai area are likely to look, so that filtered out the non-applicable people

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-01-2011, 08:45 AM

James, If you have worked for language schools-- did they not insist on paper qualifications?

Tellus how you actually started in your teaching when you were living in other countries.

I believe many here iN UK learn The various methods such as TEFL because they know that will get them work in Japan-- but I believe that some schools demand much higher teaching qualifications--.

One of my friends-- had no qualification at all-- and went to teach in Poland. He even married a Polish lady.

I guess it depends on the demands and having to be sure that whomever they employ will be ON the Ball and clearly be aquainted with all the Needs in order to teach really well.

When I see my japanese friends textbooks and all that she needs to learn and absorb-- its hard even for me to understand.

someone mentioned Phrasal Verbs. I had never heard of them, but of course we English use them without thinking. Plus the many idioms we unconsciously use.

ENGLISH PAGE - Prepositions and Phrasal Verbs

Advanced English lessons

ENGLISH PAGE - Modal Verb Tutorial

catch phrases:English Proverbs | The Phrasefinder
ENGLISH PAGE - Present Conditionals

my friend has to learn these and many others. We English have picked them up naturally so often do not realise what they are called.

Prepositions she found really difficult--but with constant corrections- is finally beginning to understand

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-01-2011 at 08:54 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-01-2011, 09:05 AM

I had my experience, no paper qualifications.
My first job at NOVA gave me a 1 day training course, which was pure and utter nonsense and had no bearing on any of the attendees ability to teach.

In other words, experience.
You can't teach private lessons for a year, as a full time job, without learning all the grammar and tricks of the trade required to be a decent teacher.
You'll learn more that way also than any certificate will give.

I hired a teacher with no certs, but 4 years experience with teaching in Japan, and I chose him over someone with a list the length of my arm of certificates and papers but had no experience in Japan, just in Spain.

When I first started teaching English, it amazed me how many grammatical rules there are which we native speakers use every day naturally. Then learning how to explain them was the first hurdle, then each different nationality of people I taught English to had entirely different stumbling blocks and the stuff I'd learned in the previous was largely unnecessary lol.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Hi James-- I guess that if teaching English-- you have learnt/learned a great deal because it can be in the teaching that we actually Learn?

I have to agree that you cannot beat EXPERIENCE in Anything.

That is why I always believed the old apprentice system was the best way to learn.

It also must help if the teacher also has some insight about the students own language and possibly that must help to explain.

I believe that as Japanese is Sooooo different especially word order-- and learning to use our alphabet--compared to the kana and kanji of Japan-- it must be a mammoth task for them to learn English .

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
a few applied on Working Holiday visas, just looking for 3 or 6 months of work, technically in that situation they don't need a degree...
I only put the job postings in places that people within the Kobe/Kansai area are likely to look, so that filtered out the non-applicable people
Must have been all Brits or Aussies then. :L

Ahh I see, I thought you posted in other countries, didn't know it was an inside recruitment. Still, like you said the skill of the people who actually make it to Japan must be surprising in most cases, especially with those pesky Working Holiday visas. :L
(#16 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Must have been all Brits or Aussies then. :L

Ahh I see, I thought you posted in other countries, didn't know it was an inside recruitment. Still, like you said the skill of the people who actually make it to Japan must be surprising in most cases, especially with those pesky Working Holiday visas. :L
You have anything against Working Holiday makers?

do they take your job away or get them quicker?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
You have anything against Working Holiday makers?

do they take your job away or get them quicker?
Well they usually don't have degrees, and because of that may be... let's say... less smart, or able to properly do the job. And like James said, they may just be in Japan for the wrong reasons because a Working Holiday is a relatively easy way to get into Japan if you have the money.
Then they're just taking jobs away from people who actually want to be there to teach the best they can, and who have degrees and are better suited.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Well they usually don't have degrees, and because of that may be... let's say... less smart, or able to properly do the job. And like James said, they may just be in Japan for the wrong reasons because a Working Holiday is a relatively easy way to get into Japan if you have the money.
Then they're just taking jobs away from people who actually want to be there to teach the best they can, and who have degrees and are better suited.
Just because you have a degree doesn't make you superior over others. Most degrees have nothing to do with the English Language. If you did study the English Language, then I agree with you.. but other than that a guy who speaks fluently English or already did one Working Holiday in an English speaking country is much more suited to teach than someone who only went to school in his entire youth. They have no clue whatsoever on how to deal with different cultures..

Also WHV graduates do want to be there and teach. How could you say otherwise?

The Working Holiday is a blessing and one of the greatest things these few countrys have realized. I hope it can be a World thing one day.. other countries shouldn't disallow their people to do such a fantastic culture change.

It's a unique thing which brings this World closer together!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Just because you have a degree doesn't make you superior over others. Most degrees have nothing to do with the English Language. If you did study the English Language, then I agree with you.. but other than that a guy who speaks fluently English or already did one Working Holiday in an English speaking country is much more suited to teach than someone who only went to school in his entire youth. They have no clue whatsoever on how to deal with different cultures..

Also WHV graduates do want to be there and teach. How could you say otherwise?

The Working Holiday is a blessing and one of the greatest things these few countrys have realized. I hope it can be a World thing one day.. other countries shouldn't disallow their people to do such a fantastic culture change.

It's a unique thing which brings this World closer together!
Well someone with a degree is superior in a way, as they're the ones allowed to live in Japan indefinitely and are generally more intelligent for a lot of areas. If someone's without, and isn't eligible for a WHV, then they have to stay put. But yes, I understand what you mean about it in the English language sense.

And I say otherwise because usually people don't want to go there because they actually want to teach, they only want to go so they can be in Japan and geek out on pop culture, fulfill fantasies etc. :L

I do generally think the Working Holiday visa is a good idea too. I just think it should be more focused on poorer countries that have a lack of English language teachers rather than rich countries like Japan which is already full to the brim with English language teachers.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ajisai666 (Offline)
New to JF

05-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Hmm. I wonder how I'll teach my students?

~.::ajisai666::.~