JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2011, 06:06 AM

Call me ignorant if you wish but what the heck is the Cambridge method?

Im from from a different county...am I still speaking English?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Cambridge ESOL exams - Exams - British Council Netherlands

take a look at this. Students have to pass Cambridge Examinations.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-03-2011, 07:32 AM

where are those other teachers who post on here-- those who teach others English on this Japan Forum. They are keeping very quiet.

I would like to know how they have achieved their own expertise in teaching.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Well someone with a degree is superior in a way, as they're the ones allowed to live in Japan indefinitely and are generally more intelligent for a lot of areas. If someone's without, and isn't eligible for a WHV, then they have to stay put. But yes, I understand what you mean about it in the English language sense.

And I say otherwise because usually people don't want to go there because they actually want to teach, they only want to go so they can be in Japan and geek out on pop culture, fulfill fantasies etc. :L

I do generally think the Working Holiday visa is a good idea too. I just think it should be more focused on poorer countries that have a lack of English language teachers rather than rich countries like Japan which is already full to the brim with English language teachers.
Again, your comments are incredible ignorant don't you recognize that?

Like I said, it does make you a lot smarter in this particular subject which you studied, just as I am far superior than you when it comes to construction technology. An apprenticeship is just as valuable as a degree. Other people just choose to go different ways and don't go to University. It doesn't make them less smarter. Such an childish thing to say..

Same goes for people who haven't got an A-Level btw. Just because they don't have one doesn't make them less smart. Everybody can get an A-Level when you really put the time into it and when you really want it. You will certainly have more knowledge when you finished the A-Level, however people who didn't archived it in their life doesn't say anything about their intelligence at all.

Also, don't you do the same thing? Why do you want to teach in Japan? Why don't you stay where you are and teach there?? Right, because you want to see the country and their culture. Just like the people on the WHV!

Japan is a country which has a lack of the English Language still. Many, many WHV are recieved with open arms.. I mean ask your self why that is?

The WHV is a culture exchange programm which should be a law in almost every country.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Superior? Really?

Big headed I would call it.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-03-2011, 01:37 PM

unless all humans are perfectly equal, those with higher education would generally be considered better... isn't that a given?

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2011, 01:56 PM

teaching english is not as popular as before in some places. i heard that indonesia now encourages other foreign languages like japanese, german, arabic and hindi over english.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
unless all humans are perfectly equal, those with higher education would generally be considered better... isn't that a given?
the University of LIFE-- thats what I have experienced and there is nothing superior about having passed exams.

|Nobody should think they are more superior than anybody else.

A damned useful asset is to have Common Sense.

maybe someone can be more qualified in things they have studied and passed exams-- but that doesn't make them superior to anybody else.

Practical experience is more important.

If someone thinks they are superior then they are merely Snobs.

Big headed.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Again, your comments are incredible ignorant don't you recognize that?

Like I said, it does make you a lot smarter in this particular subject which you studied, just as I am far superior than you when it comes to construction technology. An apprenticeship is just as valuable as a degree. Other people just choose to go different ways and don't go to University. It doesn't make them less smarter. Such an childish thing to say..

Same goes for people who haven't got an A-Level btw. Just because they don't have one doesn't make them less smart. Everybody can get an A-Level when you really put the time into it and when you really want it. You will certainly have more knowledge when you finished the A-Level, however people who didn't archived it in their life doesn't say anything about their intelligence at all.

Also, don't you do the same thing? Why do you want to teach in Japan? Why don't you stay where you are and teach there?? Right, because you want to see the country and their culture. Just like the people on the WHV!

Japan is a country which has a lack of the English Language still. Many, many WHV are recieved with open arms.. I mean ask your self why that is?

The WHV is a culture exchange programm which should be a law in almost every country.
If someone doesn't go to university they're just as smart? I dare you to tell that to someone at Oxford or Cambridge, where they need to be exceptional in all areas

Well, if anyone is physically able to get an A-Level but chooses not to, and doesn't follow any other path other than working in McDonalds, that tell me a lot about their intelligence. They may be able, but the fact that they choose not to isn't the smartest thing in the world.
Before anyone flames me for it, this of course doesn't apply to anyone who can't because they can't for family, financial reasons etc.

But you can't say that someone who failed their A-Levels is as smart as someone who passed them with flying colours, or everyone in the world would be scientists.

What you don't realize is that these people who just want to go for the different country and experience the culture are affecting the children's education, something which shouldn't be sacrificed if they're doing a poor job just because they want to be somewhere else for a year. It's the children's future at stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Superior? Really?

Big headed I would call it.
I'm not being big headed, because I haven't been to university, thus no degree. But I still think that people who do are most certainly superior to me. Just watching University Challenge is enough to prove that.

I don't mean superior in a Nazi-ish kind of way. I mean, if you were the owner of a hospital and needed to employ a doctor, would you go for the person with the medical degree, or the person with 2 GCSEs? In that sense, the person with the degree is superior to the person with the GCSEs. I just can't see how that can be disputed.

In the context of English teaching... well there has to be a reason that Japan has the '4 year university degree' rule for permanent immigrants. Those are the people who will be truly dedicated, and there for truly the right reasons. I believe Japanese immigration is very much correct by demanding degrees for permanent immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
the University of LIFE-- thats what I have experienced and there is nothing superior about having passed exams.

|Nobody should think they are more superior than anybody else.

maybe someone can be more qualified in things they have studied and passed exams-- but that doesn't make them superior to anybody else.

Practical experience is more important.

If someone thinks they are superior then they are merely Snobs.

Big headed.
If there is nothing superior about passing exams, then why bother having them in the first place eh. Lets put the space program in the hands of someone with no qualifications. Lets put a passenger jet in the hands of a random guy.

Common sense does not mean you'll be a good teacher or anything. Could you walk into a class right now and teach so everyone in the class would pass with ease? If so, whats the point of even having schools eh.

For practical experience to be effective to the ones you teach, I think you need background knowledge and education, otherwise you won't know what the heck you're doing, and the practical experience will be worthless.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
I don't mean superior in a Nazi-ish kind of way. I mean, if you were the owner of a hospital and needed to employ a doctor, would you go for the person with the medical degree, or the person with 2 GCSEs? In that sense, the person with the degree is superior to the person with the GCSEs. I just can't see how that can be disputed.
We had a neverending discussions about that in the thread Are you a student?

I agree with you. Some things cannot be argued. This is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70
Yeah, a good thing to put in your resume. Screw university, common sense will get you a job.

everything is relative and contradictory ~