JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 277
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Japan
"Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many." - 05-01-2011, 06:22 AM

"Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many."

Hi.
Please teach me about the meaning of it. I'm at a loss how to interpret this saying.

My try.
Don't regret to become an old man/woman. Because growing older is a privilege of you. Many people cannot become older, but you have the privilege to become older.
It doesn't make sense.

My another try;
"Growing older " is not the matter of aging. It is a figurative expression of "becoming mature".
So,
Don't regret to become older, because becoming older means becoming mature. And only a few people are allowed to become mature.
Fortunately, you're the one, so please do not regret.


Am I understanding correctly?


edit)
OH, I think I got it.
Don't regret to become older, because many people die young.
Right??
But somehow it seems to be a wrong interpretation, yet.

Last edited by Supperman : 05-01-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui's Avatar
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher
 
Posts: 880
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tokyo
05-01-2011, 06:42 AM

The previlege denied to many is regretting of realizing that one has become older, as this is when one realises that the kid inside him (innocence) is gone. Meaning: doesnt matter what is your age, you should always remain young at heart.
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 277
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Japan
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
The previlege denied to many is regretting of realizing that one has become older, as this is when one realises that the kid inside him (innocence) is gone. Meaning: doesnt matter what is your age, you should always remain young at heart.
Thank you, ryuurui.
I am sure that your interpretation must be correct.
Because yours makes sense as a proverb/saying.
Mine were too poor as a proverb.

Yet, I don't understand the logic of that English sentence structure.
Maybe thinking a more few minutes or hours can solve the puzzle.
Thanks again.

Edit) OK, I'm gradually becoming to understand what you say. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 277
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Japan
05-01-2011, 07:17 AM

Denying to regret growing old is a privilege to many people.

A few people must admit that they are getting older, because of a disease or something, for example,
but under ordinary circumstances, a lot of people have the right to deny their aging, only if they think themselves that they're young.

Right?
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station
 
Posts: 1,928
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South coast England
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM

well I am getting old-- in my seventies-- alhough i have friends in their nineties who are still fit and lead an active life.

What is the alternative to Old Age? Death.


They say "Only the good die young."

As an older person I regret that I cannot do many of the things that I used to do because of my health.

If our health or mobility is restricted which it often is then life can be harder.

Then we have to readjust to doing what we still Can do.


Constantly having a real interest is important.


Make the most of your youth because it will not last forever.


Recently many young and old died in the recent tsunami.


But putting it simply, alternative to growing old-- Is Death, unless of course you find that elixir of longevity--that Has long been dreamed of and searched for.


I for one would hate to live forever or to a stage where I am totally reliant on outside aid to survive and live a SOrt of Life in limbo-- where I would be helpless-- That would be dreadful and I would rather be dead.

By the way, I am still very much young in heart-- still the same child I was all those years ago.
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular
 
Posts: 79
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mountain View, California
05-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
"Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many."

Hi.
Please teach me about the meaning of it. I'm at a loss how to interpret this saying.
Quote:
OH, I think I got it.
Don't regret to become older, because many people die young.
Right??
But somehow it seems to be a wrong interpretation, yet.
I know I'm repeating others' answers here, but I think that interpretation you gave is the correct one. The privilege being mentioned is that of growing older, not the feeling of regretting growing older. In fact, since the saying advises against that regret, it clearly must not consider the regret a "privilege" at all.

Personally, when I'm speaking with someone who is complaining about getting older, I've become fond of joking, "It beats the alternative." Of course, the only real alternative to getting older is being dead.

And as you get older, you may start to know more people who themselves have lost that privilege of getting older, because they have met with a premature death.

Apologies if this was an overly somber or confusing answer.
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old
evanny's Avatar
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate
 
Posts: 518
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 11th dimension
05-01-2011, 08:41 AM

CollinCowell no need to apologise when you have the correct answer.

P.S it is a simply saying. why even english speakers have problems understanding it? rephrasing the saying also gives the anwser. "Don't feel bad about growing older. there are plenty who couldn't. "
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui's Avatar
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher
 
Posts: 880
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tokyo
05-01-2011, 08:56 AM

I read it again, and i must agree that Collin's explanation makes more sense.

@evanny - I am not a native speaker, mate.
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station
 
Posts: 1,928
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South coast England
05-01-2011, 09:18 AM

we have a saying:" Make hay while the sun shines", Which means make the most of what you have now because you do not know what lies ahead of you.
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 277
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Japan
05-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
well I am getting old-- in my seventies-- alhough i have friends in their nineties who are still fit and lead an active life.

What is the alternative to Old Age? Death.


They say "Only the good die young."

As an older person I regret that I cannot do many of the things that I used to do because of my health.

If our health or mobility is restricted which it often is then life can be harder.

Then we have to readjust to doing what we still Can do.


Constantly having a real interest is important.


Make the most of your youth because it will not last forever.


Recently many young and old died in the recent tsunami.


But putting it simply, alternative to growing old-- Is Death, unless of course you find that elixir of longevity--that Has long been dreamed of and searched for.


I for one would hate to live forever or to a stage where I am totally reliant on outside aid to survive and live a SOrt of Life in limbo-- where I would be helpless-- That would be dreadful and I would rather be dead.

By the way, I am still very much young in heart-- still the same child I was all those years ago.
Thank you, dogsbody70, for your wonderful reply, as well as the other proverb of making hay before rain-fall or tornado-attack.
I've learned a lesson from you, like a lesson from my father, grave and serious one.
By the way, the last your line helped me a lot.
I hope you live long, and I want you to have a happy life, (instead of Tsunami victims), and have a nice day!

@ColinHowell
Thank you, for the answer. I got it. It becomes as clear as crystal now.
It is not somber at all. Thanks again.

@evanny
Thank you for your comment.
I think English (or any language) is difficult to understand, because even such an easy one cannot be read correctly by ME..... Sigh.

@ryuurui
Thank you, for your comment.
I once believed your story, because I believed that your theory makes more sense.
But,,,,,
once I heard the answer, then I can think nothing but the answer.
I don't know why my mind is changing so easily....
I don't know why I once thought that my interpretation should be wrong??

Maybe, the proverb has a little "sarcastic" connotation, which I didn't expect to be.
And
Maybe, in today's Japan, many people live long, and "many people die young" seems against the fact.

Anyway thanks friends. I've learned a big lesson from all of you.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by Supperman : 05-01-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6