JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   question for foreign teachers in japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/37252-question-foreign-teachers-japan.html)

hyperweirdness 05-02-2011 04:32 AM

question for foreign teachers in japan

hello, This is probably not the right place to post this thread.

My question is for english teachers in japan from Canada or USA,
just wondering which bachelors do you need to teach in japan or just overseas. Can it be just a BA of 3 years with Concentration in English or does it have to be BA of 4 years with a Major in English.

Any help will be awesome.

Thanks.

RealJames 05-02-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperweirdness (Post 864026)
hello, This is probably not the right place to post this thread.

My question is for english teachers in japan from Canada or USA,
just wondering which bachelors do you need to teach in japan or just overseas. Can it be just a BA of 3 years with Concentration in English or does it have to be BA of 4 years with a Major in English.

Any help will be awesome.

Thanks.

I have a 4 year in Computer Science,
you don't need to major or minor or anything in English

I think it does have to be a 4 year degree (or equivalent) for the visa, not for the position.

Having a degree in English itself may lead you to having a more serious job than conversation teaching or alt positions, in the long run that is.

hyperweirdness 05-02-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 864027)
I have a 4 year in Computer Science,
you don't need to major or minor or anything in English

I think it does have to be a 4 year degree (or equivalent) for the visa, not for the position.

Having a degree in English itself may lead you to having a more serious job than conversation teaching or alt positions, in the long run that is.

you mean a working visa?

RealJames 05-02-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperweirdness (Post 864028)
you mean a working visa?

Yes, or a Business visa, or any kind of work-related visa :)

hyperweirdness 05-02-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 864031)
Yes, or a Business visa, or any kind of work-related visa :)

ah ok, thanks for the info.

RealJames 05-02-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperweirdness (Post 864035)
ah ok, thanks for the info.

I understand it can be difficult,
before coming to Japan I had a long chat on the phone with the Japanese embassy in Canada to try and get the right idea, but after I got here it's like none of what they said was true or applied at all...

There's are a few incredibly long threads in this forum about the topic, by the way.

hyperweirdness 05-03-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 864043)
I understand it can be difficult,
before coming to Japan I had a long chat on the phone with the Japanese embassy in Canada to try and get the right idea, but after I got here it's like none of what they said was true or applied at all...

There's are a few incredibly long threads in this forum about the topic, by the way.

well its probably the same as when people come to canada. thats why nothing is what it seems like.