JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Teaching English as a foreign language. - 04-29-2011, 01:10 PM

For those of you who teach English, Are you qualified and have passed examinations on teaching English?

Which method do you use and how do you teach. Do you follow the Cambridge Method?

How easily do you think your students absorb the lessons?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I've tutored kids in English and from my experience I'd say phrasal verbs are by far the hardest and most troublesome for them to learn and use in the right context. As for the method, pretty much the one used in prepararation for the ESOL examinations. These books are filled with plenty of exercises that go over the same grammar over and over again so eventually it gets stuck in your brain.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-29-2011, 03:29 PM

I give private lessons at home for kids up until the A-Level. I was lucky enough that my current students are all in 9th-grade and below.. so that the level is still manageable for me to teach them.

From time to time it gets pretty basic like Suki already mentioned. They all pretty much focus on grammer and writing, just like they do in school. So if you did that a couple of times then your an expert at it.

I'm looking forward to teach in Japan next year, hopefully to middle school Gonna be an amazing experience for me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-29-2011, 04:20 PM

I've taught in Kenya, Korea, for foreign university students in Canada, and in Japan.
Surprisingly little of the experience from any one of the places could be carried over to the others... well Japan and Korea a tad alike, but that's an overstatement.
I would have sometimes been better off with no experience rather than trying to adapt what I thought I knew.

Teaching in Japan, honestly, is a walk in the park compared to other places. The grammar base is so strong it's just giving chances to speak and a better teacher notices repeated mistakes and their underlying common misconception then drills that form a little.
This of course can't be applied so easily to someone with a weaker grammar level than spoken.

I recently conducted about 30 interviews because I'm hiring a 2nd teacher at my school. all but 3 of them were absolute shit. there are so many absolute shit teachers out there who aren't teachers at all, just native English backpackers or no-lifes hoping to get laid in Japan

Edit;

about how easily lessons are absorbed.
I've tried various teaching methodologies, and honestly the retention depends far far more on motivation and time spent exposed and in practice than teaching system or even age do.
I was shocked last year when one of my best students, by best I mean advanced the fastest, was 75 years old! (Learning English to hit on boys while traveling lol)

edit2;
@robinmask; the most difficult part is to keep caring about individual student's needs when you are #2000 and your schedule is filling up a lot and it starts to feel too much like a job than a service to another human... Thank GOD I no longer work at a school that made me feel that way!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 04-29-2011 at 04:28 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Hey James, maybe you would like to employ me at your school next year? Then you can skip all those time-consuming Interviews?

middle school would be nice

not a native speaker^^
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-30-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Hey James, maybe you would like to employ me at your school next year? Then you can skip all those time-consuming Interviews?

middle school would be nice

not a native speaker^^
lol no, I wouldn't hire anyone I want to throw out the window lol

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-30-2011, 10:14 AM

I'm a qualified Primary (Elementary) school teacher with experience in teaching native British children and those with English as Additional Language in both England and Japan. It takes a lot of work to get children with English as Additional Language to understand your lesson especially if they are completely new to the language. Try and develop language for social practice such as play time words before developing technical words for subject understanding such as explaining grammar.

Jim Cummins has done alot of work on this, I suggest you read up.

Any questions, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I lol'd

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#9 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well^^ nobody can say I didn't try right ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Any questions, PM me.
Looking forward to it

Quote:
I lol'd
I lol'd too
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I recently conducted about 30 interviews because I'm hiring a 2nd teacher at my school. all but 3 of them were absolute shit. there are so many absolute shit teachers out there who aren't teachers at all, just native English backpackers or no-lifes hoping to get laid in Japan
Just out of curiosity, did any of these people (or any pre-interviewee) try to apply without a university degree or something needed for a visa? I've always wondered how many people just apply completely on a whim without any research. :L

With how you made them sound, they seem exactly that type. I'm a bit jealous I couldn't have been there tbh :L