JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Will Will not. won't.

I will be going to the soccer/football match this afternoon.

I will not be going,( I won't be going.)

I shall not be going either. (I Shan't be going.) I dislike football.

Well I love football so I am definitely going.

"Will your team win?" " I hope so, they really should."

"I bet they won't."

("I bet that My team will win because they are the best/better-- team".)

"I shall go shopping whilst/while or (WHEN) you are at the footie (football match)." meaning intention of going shopping. Unless something happens to prevent it.

I really should do my homework-- but I don't feel like it.

If the weather is hot tomorrow I shall (I'll) go to the beach. If it's wet then I'll stay home to do my homework.

I'll/ I SHALL or( I will)l usually we say I'll.

I will is something definite planned to do. I will do my washing. I will do my homework. I will go to bed early.

Or: I will not/won't do any of the above.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
"I shall go shopping whilst/while or (WHEN) you are at the footie (football match)." meaning intention of going shopping. Unless something happens to prevent it.
Your examples are rather good, but I just wondered if 'whilst' is appropriate to use when explaining vocabulary to a learner of English? I know I'm totally guilty of using 'whilst' all the time myself, but I read somewhere that 'whilst' and 'amongst' are British terms, not really common in other types of English? I don't know, but I just wondered if it would perhaps confuse a foriegn learner for British terms to be thrown in. I could be (and probably am) wrong though!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-28-2011, 08:46 PM

I have always used whilst. Maybe you think it old fashioned but it is still good English.

I am British also English so naturally I will still use whilst.

I will linger for a while whilst you ponder on the difference.

While versus Whilst—Getting Our Facts Straight

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-28-2011 at 08:51 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have always used whilst. Maybe you think it old fashioned but it is still good English.

I am British also English so naturally I will still use whilst.

I will linger for a while whilst you ponder on the difference.

While versus Whilst—Getting Our Facts Straight
I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to criticise your usage of the word, in fact I prefer 'whilst' to 'while', but American vs. British usages is a whole other debate, lol.

I know 'whilst' is more natual, but it isn't natural in American English. I merely question whether it's appropriate to use words stictly British English when explaining a vocabulary matter to a foriegn learner. Most foriegn learners of English seem to learn American English, so I just thought it would be confusing to explain a point using 'while' and then introduce the term 'whilst', and then to have to explain only certain people use it and how and why and so forth . . . especially because it then detracts from the original questions of the difference between 'will/would', for example.

Again, it wasn't meant as a criticism, merely a legitimate question about what English may be best when explaining/teaching foriegn learners. Sorry if you thought I was criticising, I really didn't mean to appear to be so
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to criticise your usage of the word, in fact I prefer 'whilst' to 'while', but American vs. British usages is a whole other debate, lol.

I know 'whilst' is more natual, but it isn't natural in American English. I merely question whether it's appropriate to use words stictly British English when explaining a vocabulary matter to a foriegn learner. Most foriegn learners of English seem to learn American English, so I just thought it would be confusing to explain a point using 'while' and then introduce the term 'whilst', and then to have to explain only certain people use it and how and why and so forth . . . especially because it then detracts from the original questions of the difference between 'will/would', for example.

Again, it wasn't meant as a criticism, merely a legitimate question about what English may be best when explaining/teaching foriegn learners. Sorry if you thought I was criticising, I really didn't mean to appear to be so

UM--so you are saying that I should abandon the language which I have been brought up with-- maybe just use abbreviations as in TEXTING.

Should I have to consider the American English paramount to my own language which is English English as far as I am concerned.

If American is considered superior to British English-- why do we have so many students in this country studying our language.

Possibly while Whilst is out of date-- but along with Amongst/ among I prefer to use in certain circumstances-- is it wrong?

AMERICANS often use totally different expressions from the Brits. they spell certain words differently-- ie: favor rather than favour--Color-- rather than colour etc.

Are we to allow the Americans to also overtake the Brits in our own language?

Be proud of your English language heritage, why bow to America all the time?

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-29-2011 at 09:53 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2011, 09:37 AM

There was actually a study out that said more of the world spoke British English.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

Smile 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM

Robin, how about YOu giving some useful expressions for learners as you have a qualification in TEFL.

Also You have studied English Literature.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Be proud of your English language heritage, why bow to America all the time?
I am very proud of British English, and in conversation I won't hesitate to speak the way I have been raised to speak and the way I prefer to speak. I merely debate whether it is helpful to use strictly British words to a person who is - more than likely - learning American English. If I was to start going 'yeah, good one mate' or 'sheesh, he's in a right mardy', it wouldn't be helpful to a learner because not many people are familiar with those specific dialects or informal tones. To me its the same principle when using British English. One shouldn't have to change spelling, but when it comes to actual vocabulary I simply question whether it's effective to use words that are not in the specific type of English being taught, or that may confuse the learner.

To be honest I just feel like I'm reiterating a position I made clear the at the start. I am not saying British is bad, old-fashioned, or inferior . . . merely questioning some of its usages when talking to someone who is learning English, and especially when we are not sure which English he/she is learning or where they are learning it.

Again, no issue with it being used at all, just question its usages with learners who are more than likely learning American English as opposed to the British

Quote:
Robin, how about YOu giving some useful expressions for learners as you have a qualification in TEFL.

Also You have studied English Literature.
In regards to this specific thread: I have already explained the differences to the original poster, answered his questions to the best of my ability at the time, and even provided him with examples. In my opinion I have answered him. If he is still unclear or has further questions then I will gladly rephrase or try to explain in a different manner, but as he said thank you and implied he understood I don't think there's much need to offer forth more explanations, because he seems to understand already.

Insofar as making a new thread to offer forth useful expressions, I don't feel qualified enough to do so. There were a few posters in the recent past who have done excellent jobs providing lessons, others that I would argue are far more amateurish, but I don't think there's a need for me to start competing with others for offering expressions. Plus, in a forum where the majority are already English speaking or fluent enough to commuinicate effectively, I'm not sure if it'd be an appropriate use of time, because so few people would get anything out of it. If I'm honest I miss reading that other guy's English lessons, I forget his name, but they were pretty good
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I am very proud of British English, and in conversation I won't hesitate to speak the way I have been raised to speak and the way I prefer to speak. I merely debate whether it is helpful to use strictly British words to a person who is - more than likely - learning American English. If I was to start going 'yeah, good one mate' or 'sheesh, he's in a right mardy', it wouldn't be helpful to a learner because not many people are familiar with those specific dialects or informal tones. To me its the same principle when using British English. One shouldn't have to change spelling, but when it comes to actual vocabulary I simply question whether it's effective to use words that are not in the specific type of English being taught, or that may confuse the learner.

To be honest I just feel like I'm reiterating a position I made clear the at the start. I am not saying British is bad, old-fashioned, or inferior . . . merely questioning some of its usages when talking to someone who is learning English, and especially when we are not sure which English he/she is learning or where they are learning it.

Again, no issue with it being used at all, just question its usages with learners who are more than likely learning American English as opposed to the British

In regards to this specific thread: I have already explained the differences to the original poster, answered his questions to the best of my ability at the time, and even provided him with examples. In my opinion I have answered him. If he is still unclear or has further questions then I will gladly rephrase or try to explain in a different manner, but as he said thank you and implied he understood I don't think there's much need to offer forth more explanations, because he seems to understand already.

Insofar as making a new thread to offer forth useful expressions, I don't feel qualified enough to do so. There were a few posters in the recent past who have done excellent jobs providing lessons, others that I would argue are far more amateurish, but I don't think there's a need for me to start competing with others for offering expressions. Plus, in a forum where the majority are already English speaking or fluent enough to commuinicate effectively, I'm not sure if it'd be an appropriate use of time, because so few people would get anything out of it. If I'm honest I miss reading that other guy's English lessons, I forget his name, but they were pretty good
that other guy is still here-- or haven't you noticed.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
that other guy is still here-- or haven't you noticed.
I might not have noticed.

Did he change his name? If so then I think I have noticed, but because of the name change I assumed that he was someone new and different . . .