JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What will/would you do - 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Hi, could someone kindly explain to me the differences between "What will you do" and "What would you do" and also "What shall we do" and "What should we do"?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, could someone kindly explain to me the differences between "What will you do" and "What would you do" and also "What shall we do" and "What should we do"?
Basically 'will' indicates something certain, something that cannot be changed, so "What will you do?" is asking someone what action they are going to take. "I will go home", for example, means that I am going home and this action cannot be changed: I've planned to go home, I do not wish to change my plans, no other options are avaliable, so "I will".

'Would' is less certain. It's a hypothetical, meaning it's asking about possible courses of action as opposed to definate ones. So 'what would you do?' is asking what type of action you may take in a certain situation. So 'What would you do if your house was on fire?', your house isn't on fire, but the question is asking what action you may take if it was.

"Shall" generally means the same thing as "will" does. The difference between "shall" and "should" also seems to depend on what type of English you use. I would say that 'shall' is asking what potential course of action is best, and 'should' is more asking for advice . . . so 'shall we go to the park?' is asking if it's okay to go, it's not asking for advice, merely asking if the other person wishes to or not. 'Should we go to the park?' is asking for advice, such as 'is it a good idea to go?', it's asking for an explanation rather than 'yes' or 'no'.

Hope I haven't confused you more

Last edited by RobinMask : 05-26-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: for clarity
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanations, guys.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2011, 06:05 PM

I have one more question. How about the difference between "can" and "could"?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
"Can" expresses an ability, as in someone is able to do something or something is able to happen, it shows that an action is possible. "I can play tennis" means that I have the ability to play tennis, for example.

"Could" expresses potential or possibility, as in something is possible to happen or occur, but it is not certain. "I could play tennis today" means that I have the ability to play tennis and I have the possibility to play it, there is the potential at some point in the day to play tennis.

"Can you dance?" is asking is someone is able to dance.
"Could you dance for me?" is acknowledging the person is able to dance, but questioning whether they are able to at that particular time. 'Could' in this sentence is not so much the ability, but the possibility.

Sorry, I don't think I'm being very clear . . . hopefully someone else can phrase it a little better for you, but hope it helps a little bit anyway.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2011, 11:18 PM

It does help. Thanks alot, RobinMask.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
If a neurologist (nerve doctor) asked his patient about his paralysis, he might say; "Can you hold a cap with your right hand?"

The doctor asked the patient's ability with very direct expression.

If I wanted to request you to open the window, I would say;
"Could you open the window?"

This is not a question indeed, but "requesting politely".

So "could" be used also for "polite request" in some context, I think.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks guys.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

short item re Can Could May I?

Please could you help me with my homework?

Please could you show me where the TAX OFFICE IS?

Please may I use your telephone? Please may I use the bathroom? YES of course you may.

"Please may I have a cup of tea?" "Yes certainly" . Please could you tell me the time? Yes it is five thirty.

Please could you tell me where the Open Garden is?

Please may I borrow your book? Please may I have some more?

Use of the word" MAY I"? IS asking permission politely.

. "MAY I "means that you are asking if it is okay for you to do something or ask for something politely.

"CAN I" really means: being capable of doing something .

MAny people use "Can I" when they really should say "MAY I ?"

CAN YOU CLIMB MOUNTAINS? YES you can, or you used to. YOU COULD CLIMB THEM in the PAST.

You helped your co-mountaineers because they were not as strong or as fit as you were, so they could not continue with out your help

I Can Run fast. I Cannot fly an aeroplane. I Can Speak Japanese but I cannot speak English very well.

I wish that I could travel around the world. I cannot do so because I cannot afford the cost of travelling. I wish that I could listen to my favourite music. I cannot listen to my music without my MP3 player.

If only I could do break dancing. I wish that I could do so. I cannot do break dancing but I Can roller skate.

Could you help me please. Could you tell me the way to the Ice rink? I am sorry but I am a stranger here, so I cannot help you.

We often abbreviate "Cannot to Can't. apostrophe before the "T"

I can't understand you ==I cannot understand you. I can't visit you today. I cannot visit you today. I can't be bothered. I cannot be bothered. we seldom actually say Cannot when we are talking, mostly its Can't/ Pronounced as if there is an R in the middle. CAHNT. CARNT against cannot which is ANNOT."CAN"Not.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the explanation, dogsbody70.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。