LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Thank you, dogsbody70, for your comment.
And I don't want you to be displeased with my AE spelling.

This was not MY choice. There was no choice.
After the WWII, in Japan, every junior high school and high school teachers must teach American English. All textbooks are written in AE.
Maybe, MacArthur (GHQ) 's choice.
So I've learned (not learnt) American English, and its spellings.

And one more thing is that the spellchecker of Firefox always (DIRECTS) OR SUGGESTS correctS AMERICAN VERSIONS.me to use the American spellings.
The spellchecker might be stupid, rather than clever?? I also have a spell checker that suggests Americanised spellingI know not a few Japanese people admire the Queen's English, though.
Such people tend to go to the UK, I think. (DO you mean "Quite a Few?" Rather than (not a few) I doubt we would say Not a Few. either a FEW people or Not Many PeopleI want to go to the UK too, especially to the Wimbledon, because I'm a tennis player, oops, was a tennis player, when I was not fatty.
I hope you get your wish to come to UK.

I admired your Japanese tennis player who although she did not win-- played like a little Tiger-- she was magnificent in her efforts to beat her opponent. sadly I have forgotten her name, but I was really impressed with her determination and True Grit. Ah she was--Kimiko Date-Krumm.

Hi again Supperman, of course I see now (Understand) why you use the American English-- that does make a lot of sense.

I hope you don't mind my personal use and love of the original British English although I can also see why Americans simplified the spellings.

Much of our spelling is difficult even for We natives.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
Firefox sometimes has false positives for words. Also, it depends if you have either the British English or American English language pack installed. You can also go to Firefox site and download accordingly if you want to change it.
Thank you, Kuuzoku, for the information.

I wish I could choose the American mode when I talk with you, and I could choose the UK's version when I talk with dogsbody70.

I may re-install the Firefox as the British English version. Yet now I hesitate to do it, because I'm worrying that it might cause more instability of my computer.
I don't want it to happen indeed.
I wish Firefox would work well.
(#113 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-27-2011, 05:50 PM

Hello Suppermanm please do not worry re AMERICAN VERSUS BRITISH ENGLISH spelling. I will just put the BE version myself.
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Lonthego, for your correction.
I wonder if you are an English language teacher for Japanese people.
I wonder why you know that my words order is Japanese-wise. (Am I using -wise correctly?)

Hi!

I've taught English to Japanese people before but am also proficient in Japanese as well.

You can just say "I wonder why you know that my word order is Japanese" (note that "word order" is basically a set noun, and you don't need the S here)
If you wanted to use "-wise" you could say something like "Word order-wise, I wonder why you know that what I say sounds Japanese"
This has a conversational tone to it and wouldn't be used in real writing.

Notice that "-wise" and "in terms of" are basically interchangeable when they appear in a sentence. If you can't substitute one for the other, chances are it's not correct.
Example:
"Weather-wise I think tomorrow will be fine. It's supposed to be sunny all day, so we can have our picnic anytime."
In this context you can remove "Weather-wise" and say "In terms of weather" and it will still sound OK; it's a little formal, but still natural.

BUT "-wise" is not always interchangeable with "In regards to"
Example: "In regards to what we talked about yesterday, I'm afraid we will need more time to discuss the matter."
You can't replace "In regards to" with "-wise" here

But if you said "In terms of nutrition it's hard to beat fish." you could replace the "In terms of" with "-wise" and it will sound fine. "Nutrition-wise it's hard to beat fish."

Sorry if my explanation is confusing!

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#115 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonthego View Post
Hi!
I've taught English to Japanese people before but am also proficient in Japanese as well.
Thank you for the reply, which enables me to solve my wonder.

Quote:
You can just say "I wonder why you know that my word order is Japanese" (note that "word order" is basically a set noun, and you don't need the S here)
I've got it.

For example,
She is 7 years old.
The 7-year-old woman was introduced to us......... (not 7-years-old)

Right?

Quote:
If you wanted to use "-wise" you could say something like "Word order-wise, I wonder why you know that what I say sounds Japanese"
This has a conversational tone to it and wouldn't be used in real writing.

Notice that "-wise" and "in terms of" are basically interchangeable when they appear in a sentence. If you can't substitute one for the other, chances are it's not correct.
Example:
"Weather-wise I think tomorrow will be fine. It's supposed to be sunny all day, so we can have our picnic anytime."
In this context you can remove "Weather-wise" and say "In terms of weather" and it will still sound OK; it's a little formal, but still natural.

BUT "-wise" is not always interchangeable with "In regards to"
Example: "In regards to what we talked about yesterday, I'm afraid we will need more time to discuss the matter."
You can't replace "In regards to" with "-wise" here

But if you said "In terms of nutrition it's hard to beat fish." you could replace the "In terms of" with "-wise" and it will sound fine. "Nutrition-wise it's hard to beat fish."

Sorry if my explanation is confusing!
In terms of -wise, I was misunderstanding. I thought of something which resembles "-ish".
"-wise"-wise, I was misunderstanding. I thought of something which resembles "-ish".
(#116 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

No.16 A lesson on computing - 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM

A lesson on computing / TOEIC

This is a photo taken in a room where there are a lot of personal computers.
It might be a computer room of a library.

The place is not crowed, and only one computer is now on use by one adult woman and two children.

The title of the picture is "a lesson on computing", but I doubt about that.
Under ordinary circumstances, the woman should be a teacher, and the two children are students.
Yet, the two children are not looking at the computer screen or keyboard, but they are looking at the woman's face. And the woman uses only one finger to touch a key, and her finger position is nothing to do with "blind tough".

She doesn't seem to be an expert, but rather a beginner.
They seems happy and enjoy themselves.

Taking them into consideration, I might think that the student is the woman, and the two children are her tutors. Though it seems unlikely.

In conclusion, I don't think it is a lesson. The all three are enjoying to play with the computer, maybe they're playing a game.

If I stick to "a lesson", I think there is no tutors. The all three people are participants of the self-lesson program of the computer, which are named, for example, "A happy and easy lesson---You can do it by yourself" or something.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-28-2011 at 03:46 AM.
(#117 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Hi! superman

Here is my take on the picture using similar format as yours.

The photo is a room which contains multiple computers, potentially a library study room. The computers are vacant at the moment, except for one which are being used by two young girls and a woman.
The picture is titled “a lesson on computing” and the woman appears to be teaching these girls about computers. However, upon close inspection, the situation is not what it seems, the girls seem to be teaching instead of being taught. They stare at the woman and monitor her progress; and the woman appears to be a beginner, evidenced by her awkward finger position on the keyboard. Both the woman and the girls are in good mood, they are all smiling, the girls smile of curiosity and the woman smile of embarrassment.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#118 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
Hi! superman

Here is my take on the picture using similar format as yours.

The photo is a room which contains multiple computers, potentially a library study room. The SOME computers are vacant ( AVAILABLE) at the moment, except for one which are IS being used by two young girls and a woman.
The picture is titled “a lesson on computing” and the woman appears to be teaching these girls about computers. However, upon close inspection, the situation is not what it seems, the girls seem to be teaching instead of being taught. They stare at the woman and monitor her progress; and the woman appears to be a beginner, evidenced by her awkward finger position on the keyboard. Both the woman and the girls are in good mood, they are all smiling, the girls smile of curiosity and the woman's smile of embarrassment.
How would a computer be Vacant? Maybe there are empty places available for others to use.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
(#119 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
A lesson on computing / TOEIC

This is a photo taken in a room where there are a lot of personal computers.
It might be a computer room of a library.

The place is not crowDed, ( THE ROOM IS ALMOST EMPTY EXCEPT FOR A LADY AND TWO CHILDREN WHO ARE USING/SHARING ONE COMPUTER.)and only one computer is now on IN use by one adult woman and two children.
The title of the picture is "a lesson on computing", but I doubt about that. Meaning: ( I HAVE MY DOUBTS)Under ordinary circumstances, the woman should be a teacher, and the two children are HER students.
Yet, the two children are not looking at the computer screen or keyboard; but they are looking at the woman's face. And the woman uses only one finger to touch a key, and her finger position is nothing to do with "blind tough". (TOUCH TYPING.)

She doesn't seem to be an expert, but rather a beginner.
They seem happy and enjoyING themselves.

Taking them into consideration, I might think that the student is the woman, and the two children are her tutors. Though it seems unlikely.

In conclusion, I don't think it is a lesson. The All three are enjoying to play ( PLAYING or [B]Experimenting )[/b]with the computer, maybe they're playing a game.

If I stick to "a lesson", I think there ARE is no tutors. The All three people are participants of the Self-lesson (TEACHING program of the computer, which are (MAY BE named, for example, "A happy and easy lesson---You can do it by yourself" or something.
HI SUPPERMAN, according to the expressions on the children's faces, they are Helping her. Maybe showing her how to do something-- The Lady looks very tentative as she touches the keyboard with a single finger.

These days, young people are the experts where computers are concerned.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
(#120 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM

LOL, I thought I would use the term “vacant” for "not occupied" and I use "THE" instead of "SOME" because I was preferring to all the computers in the room, that is why in the second clause of the same sentence, I used the preposition “except” to mark the exception of what I meant in the first clause of the sentence. Although, I am not sure about the appropriate use of “vacant” for “not occupied” in this case.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro