(#121 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
Hi! superman

Here is my take on the picture using similar format as yours.

The photo is a room which contains multiple computers, potentially a library study room. The computers are vacant at the moment, except for one which are IS being used by two young girls and a woman.
The picture is titled “a lesson on computing” and the woman appears to be teaching these girls about computers. However, upon close inspection, the situation is not what it seems, the girls seem to be teaching instead of being taught. They stare GAZE at the woman and monitor her progress; and the woman appears to be a beginner, evidenced by her awkward finger position on the keyboard. Both the woman and the girls are in A good mood, they are all smiling, the girls smile OUT of curiosity and the woman smiles with embarrassment.
did I correct this before? sorry if I did.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
LOL, I thought I would use the term “vacant” for "not occupied" and I use "THE" instead of "SOME" because I was preferring to all the computers in the room, that is why in the second clause of the same sentence, I used the preposition “except” to mark the exception of what I meant in the first clause of the sentence. Although, I am not sure about the appropriate use of “vacant” for “not occupied” in this case.
well the seat would be vacant-- but I sincerely doubt if any computer would be.

MAYBE Most computers are not in use at the moment. OR: Most of the computers appear to be available to use.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
Kuuzoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-28-2011, 06:31 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've heard plenty of people say "Vacant computer" before, mostly at libraries and such. It may not be the best word to use, but the meaning is clearly understood when the person is looking for a computer to use. To reiterate the previous post, "Available" or even "Unoccupied" are probably better choices.

Native English speaker currently learning Japanese. (日本語を勉強しているネイティブ)

Last edited by Kuuzoku : 07-28-2011 at 06:35 PM.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've heard plenty of people say "Vacant computer" before, mostly at libraries and such. It may not be the best word to use, but the meaning is clearly understood when the person is looking for a computer to use. To reiterate the previous post, "Available" or even "Unoccupied" are probably better choices.
do they really say that a computer is Vacant? It seems really strange to me.

Vacant means space empty space so how can a computer be literally vacant

It wouldn't be much use if it really was vacant would it?.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
jbsongaku (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2011, 12:45 AM

The usual meaning is that the space in front of the computer is vacant, I guess. I've heard it before as well.

@My other project, the Goal Setting Worksheet
@My blog in Japan, trips, experiences and life as a foreign student. http://www.wentblogging.com
@Advice for living in Japan, from grocery shopping to renting an apartment. http://japan.wentblogging.com
@僕のブロッグ。日本での経験、旅、留学生の生活。http://www.wentblogging.com/index_jp.php
(#126 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-29-2011, 08:40 AM

I think I will write a story about the vacant computer LOL. I guess it's the way we misuse our language.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I think I will write a story about the vacant computer LOL. I guess it's the way we misuse our language.
The net auction is over-run with crimes.
For example, the bad people try to sell hundreds of the vacant computers, which is just a box of computer-shape.

When I went to the furniture store to buy a TV stand, I found a lot of TV stands there. And a vacant TV set is placed on each stand.

Is this the kind of story?

(Of course, I've got the plural opinions of vacant-computer-is-OK-to-be-used-in-our-actual-colloquial-conversations.)

Last edited by Supperman : 07-29-2011 at 02:06 PM.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi, wolfrainvn, I think your description is far much better than mine.

BTW,
It is not a matter of English language practice, but I found one big difference.
You thought the child in the left was a girl, while I thought he was a boy.

I first thought that it might be his first-love to his teacher, because he didn't see the computer screen, but stared at her.
But I denied the thought myself, because another child (girl) too was staring at her...

Now when I look at the child again, I can't identify his/her gender.

Anyway, thank you for your description. I've learnt a lot from you.
I will be much appreciated, if you provide me your description from now on, if it is allowed.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

No.17 A computer class - 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM

A computer class / TOEIC

Four people are sitting at a table, and there are four TV screens in front of them. They're seriously taking notes. I think this is a lesson or lecture using TV screen.

The title is "a computer class", which I think is wrong.
Because if they are computer screens, where are the keyboards, the mice (mouses?) and the computers themselves?

The touch panel system?
All-in-one type?
It may be possible, but less likely, I think.
Because such kind of computer is very special type. I don't even know if such type really exists. A computer lesson should use a popular type computer, in order to make the lesson effective to the majority of people.

And if it is a computer class, two glasses of water are very, very bad manner.
Computers hate water, because fluid is fatal for them.

A complete water-proof type?
No kidding!

Last edited by Supperman : 07-29-2011 at 03:19 PM.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
A computer class / TOEIC

Four people are sitting at a table, and there are four TV screens in front of them. They're seriously taking notes. I think this is a lesson or lecture using TV screen.

The title is "a computer class", which I think is wrong.
Because if they are computer screens, where are the keyboards, the mice (mouses?) and the computers themselves?

The touch panel system?
All-in-one type?
It may be possible, but less likely, I think.
Because such kind of computer is very special type. I don't even know if such type really exists. A computer lesson should use a popular type computer, in order to make the lesson effective to the majority of people.

And if it is a computer class, two glasses of water are very, very bad manner.
Computers hate water, because fluid is fatal for them.

A complete water-proof type?
No kidding!
HI Superman, I wonder if they are controlled by remote control. It certainly seems important as they are busy writing notes.

Maybe office workers or other students will be familiar with these? I do not know at all.