JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

No.19 http://www.english-test.net/toeic/listening/an_asian_puppet_show.html - 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM

An Asian puppet show / TOEIC

I’m watching a show on a stage (platform). Ten members (characters) are playing now. They’re human shape characters, but not human itself. They’re wearing a whole body costume including the head, or they may be marionettes, though I can’t see any strings on this photo.
I can't decide which, because I don't know the scale of the platform.
It might be very small.

They have a white face with large ears, and are wearing oriental clothes. Their sleeves have white lace wings.
The wear is basically reddish and colorful. They’re wearing a cap/hat too.

I think they’re the oracles, the servers of God.
Or they’re the maid of honor, the servers of the king.

The background curtain is basically red in color, with two dragons drawn on it. There are rainbow-color frills at the edge of the curtain.

I think this is an oriental show, maybe China, or India, or South-east Asia.
I don't think this is not Japanese origin.

Two characters are standing both on left and right side.
The remaining 8 characters are sitting on their knees, in two rows and four lines.
(#152 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Thank you friends.
According to your advices, (ADVICE )I think I could grasp the nuance of the two colours when modifying ( DESCRIBING THE COLOUR of someone's hair. No such word as Advices. I Advised my friend to be cautious;
Take my advice--don't lose your money in gambling. He listened to my advice and stopped gambling.
:
just a few suggestions re "ADVICE."
(#153 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-03-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I’m watching a show on a stage (platform). Ten members (characters) are playing now. They’re human shape characters, but not human itself. They’re wearing a whole body costume including the head, or they may be marionettes, though I can’t see any strings on this photo.
It might be very small.

They have a white face with large ears, and are wearing oriental clothes. Their sleeves have white lace wings.
The wear Their costumes are basically reddish and colorful. They’re wearing a cap/hat too.

Sometimes it is better to write They Are rather than they're.
They are the Oracles, they are the maids of honour.
The background curtain is basically red in color, with two dragons drawn on it. There are rainbow-color (COLOURED) frills at the edge of the curtain.

I think this is an oriental show, maybe China, ( CHINESE) or IndiaN, or South-East AsiaN.
I don't think this is not OF Japanese origin.

Two characters are standing both on the left and right side.
The remaining 8 characters are sitting on their knees, in two rows and four lines.

Supperman you have better eyesight than I, I cannot see that picture very clearly.

It is entitled Puppet shows, so I think they are probably marionettes. try to avoid using the word BASICALLY too often. It is overused in this country.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 08-03-2011 at 09:34 AM.
(#154 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

It might be very small.

The wear is basically reddish and colorful. They’re wearing a cap/hat too.

The background curtain is basically red in color, with two dragons drawn on it. There are rainbow-color frills at the edge of the curtain.

I think this is an oriental show, maybe China, or India, or South-east Asia.
I don't think this is not Japanese origin.

Two characters are standing both on left and right side.
First, in response to some of Dogs corrections, I think your sentence "Two characters are standing both on left and right side" should actually be "Two characters are standing on both the left and right side." Now, what Dogs said 'both on the' is right, but personally 'on both' instead of 'both on' sounds more natural.

Secondly - to explain Dogs correction of the omission of 'not' - your sentence "I don't think this is not of Japanese origin" is quite incorrect. What we have here is called a 'double negative', which basically means that the 'do not' and 'is not' cancel each other out, meaning that you are grammatically implying that you do think they are of Japanese origin. So simply "I don't think they are of Japanese origin" is fine.

Also you ideally need 'of' before 'Japanese origin', or 'I do not think they are Japanese in origin'.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "The wear is reddish and colourful", do you mean what they are wearing? If so then 'The clothes' or 'The costumes' may be more appropriate here. Other than that (and Dogs other comments) your writing is excellent

Last edited by RobinMask : 08-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.
(#155 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
just a few suggestions re "ADVICE."
Thank you.
I now know that "advice" is an uncountable noun.
(#156 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 10:37 AM

The wear (wrong)
Their costumes (correct)

'basically' should not be used repeatedly.

They’re the oracles, the servers of God. (wrong)
They are the Oracles, they are the maids of honour. (correct)

There are rainbow-color frills at the edge of the curtain. (wrong)
There are rainbow-colored frills at the edge of the curtain. (correct)

I think this is an oriental show, maybe China, or India, or South-East Asia.(wrong)
I think this is an oriental show, maybe Chinese, or Indian, or South-East Asian.(correct)

I don't think this is not Japanese origin. (wrong)
I don't think this is of Japanese origin. (correct)

Thank you, dogsbody70.
(#157 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
First, in response to some of Dogs corrections, I think your sentence "Two characters are standing both on left and right side" should actually be "Two characters are standing on both the left and right side." Now, what Dogs said 'both on the' is right, but personally 'on both' instead of 'both on' sounds more natural.

Secondly - to explain Dogs correction of the omission of 'not' - your sentence "I don't think this is not of Japanese origin" is quite incorrect. What we have here is called a 'double negative', which basically means that the 'do not' and 'is not' cancel each other out, meaning that you are grammatically implying that you do think they are of Japanese origin. So simply "I don't think they are of Japanese origin" is fine.

Also you ideally need 'of' before 'Japanese origin', or 'I do not think they are Japanese in origin'.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "The wear is reddish and colourful", do you mean what they are wearing? (Yes, I do.) If so then 'The clothes' or 'The costumes' may be more appropriate here. Other than that (and Dogs other comments) your writing is excellent
Thank you, RobinMask, for your suggestions.
It is so helpful.
I have to go now, so later, I'll write the wrong/correct sentences in green letters.

edit) I'm back now, and I'll write the wrong/correct sentences in green letters, like those;

"Two characters are standing both on left and right side" (wrong)
"Two characters are standing on both the left and right side." (correct)

Double negative becomes positive.
I know. It was my careless mistake. I think even natives may sometimes make such an error, especially when they speak.

The wear (wrong)
The clothes(correct)
The costume (correct)

Last edited by Supperman : 08-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.
(#158 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you, RobinMask, for your suggestions.
It is so helpful.
I have to go now, so later, I'll write the wrong/correct sentences in green letters.
Where I colour a word in RED-- it is incorrect.
(#159 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The wear (wrong)
Their costumes (correct)

'basically' should not be used repeatedly.

They’re the oracles, the servers of God. (wrong)
They are the Oracles, they are the maids of honour. (correct)

There are rainbow-color frills at the edge of the curtain. (wrong)
There are rainbow-colored frills at the edge of the curtain. (correct)

I think this is an oriental show, maybe China, or India, or South-East Asia.(wrong)
I think this is an oriental show, maybe Chinese, or Indian, or South-East Asian.(correct)

I don't think this is not Japanese origin. (wrong)
I don't think this is of Japanese origin. (correct)

Thank you, dogsbody70.
I think I would say Two characters are standing behind and to the right and left, of the Central Group.

Plus: If anyone else has time perhaps they could write their own description of the scene that Supperman describes.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 08-03-2011 at 11:38 AM.
(#160 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Edit: totally misread who a reply was aimed at, and so deleted comment for its lack of relevance.

Last edited by RobinMask : 08-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.