Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The second day; A river kayak racing - 07-07-2011, 03:51 AM

Hi.
No.2 photo
http://www.english-test.net/images/toeic/193.jpg
Canoeing / TOEIC

This is a photo of a river kayak racing. Or a practice preparing for the race.

At the center of the photo, one player in a purple top and a white best is paddling on the green kayak. I can’t see the number of his back. He is wearing a black helmet and holding a black paddle which has twin oars.

There are poles hanging over the river vertically as the makers of indicating the course. Some poles are red-and-white-striped color, and others are green and white stripes.
He’s just passing through the pole No.19, while other two players are almost passing No.20, which seems to be the goal. Two players have already finished racing and looking at other players to come. There are five players to be seen in this photo. The man is behind of the other 4 players.

The river is relatively calm, and I don’t see white water. There is a big rock at the right edge of the photo. There is another big rock at the left edge.

It is daytime, and it is cloudy. At the background of the picture, there seems to be a tree without leaves. It might be winter season, though it is less likely to run a race at winter season. And I can see greens on the other sites of the photo.
So the tree without leaves is probably dead now.

///////////////////////////
Well, I don't have any opinion/comment about this photo. It is just the photo as it is.
I don't think it an interesting photo....

OK. I'll tell something.
I searched about "canoe" and they say how to distinguish "canoe" and "kayak".
If the paddle has only one oar, it is called as a canoe.
If the paddle has two oars on both sides, it is called as a kayak.
But another explanation says that a kayak is one type of a canoe....

Definition of things is difficult from time to time....

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 09:17 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Please take things slowly Supperman.

Too many descriptions could be too much for us to read and correct.

Some spelling varies depending whether it is Americanised or Anglified.

We spell Centre/ Americans spell Center.

I do not have time to go thoroughly through your message just now.

I was mistaken-------I was incorrect, It was incorrect, or It was correct.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-07-2011, 01:10 PM

[quote=Supperman;870977]Hi.

Canoeing / TOEIC

This is a photo of a river kayak racing. Or a practice preparing for the race. Maybe: Practicing in order to prepare for a race OR In preparation for a forthcoming race.OK. I'll tell YOU something.
I searched about I searched for information about Canoes "canoe" and they say how to distinguish "canoe" and "kayak". distinguish between canoes and kayaks.If the paddle has only one oar, it is called as a canoe. Called "A CANOE."
If the paddle has two oars on both sides, it is called as a kayak. It is called a KAYAK.
But another explanation says that a kayak is one type of a canoe....( Is a type of canoe)

QUOTE]

PS: this looks like white water slalom racing?

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 05:13 AM

[quote=dogsbody70;870996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Hi.

Canoeing / TOEIC

This is a photo of a river kayak racing. Or a practice preparing for the race. Maybe: Practicing in order to prepare for a race OR In preparation for a forthcoming race.OK. I'll tell YOU something.
I searched about I searched for information about Canoes "canoe" and they say how to distinguish "canoe" and "kayak". distinguish between canoes and kayaks.If the paddle has only one oar, it is called as a canoe. Called "A CANOE."
If the paddle has two oars on both sides, it is called as a kayak. It is called a KAYAK.
But another explanation says that a kayak is one type of a canoe....( Is a type of canoe)

QUOTE]

PS: this looks like white water slalom racing?
Thank you, dogsbody70, for your reply.

I've learned;
"Race" is an uncountable noun, so the indefinite article "a" is redundant.
"I will tell you something." instead of "I will tell something."
"Search for" instead of "search about".
"It is called a kayak".
"A kayak is a type of canoe."

And thank you for the information;
It is called "white water slalom racing".

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 09:02 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The 3rd day;A park scene on a sunny winter day - 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Hi.
Can you imagine the photo with my description?
Here we go!

This is a photo of a park scene on a sunny winter day. The photographer is standing on a riverside path, and aiming the path’s line at the center of the picture. The path is a little winding, and curves toward the left.

There is a river at the right side of the photo. The water is blue and calm. There are water birds on the river.

At the center of the picture, there are three people who are standing on the path, and walking off the camera. One of them is a man who wears blue jeans and black jacket. He has short blond hair. At the left side of him, there is a woman in black jacket and blue jeans. She has pony-tailed golden hair.

The third person may be a child, though we can scarcely see only his/her left leg. Other parts of the body are hidden by the woman. They may be a family.
There are two water birds walking on the path too. They seem not to be afraid of human.
The path is paved and flat.

There are electric lamp poles along the path. At the left side of the path, there are greens and trees. Almost all trees have no leaves. Considering naked trees and what people wear, it is winter season for sure.

Afar from them, there is a bridge made of concrete, which is located horizontally in this photo.

We can see the sky at the upper right corner of the photo. There is no cloud in the sky. The shadow of the people is projected to the right side. So the sun is shining from the left side of the photo. It is a sunny winter day.

The park / TOEIC
photo No.3

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 09:18 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

How do you describe him? - 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi.
I skipped yesterday, and this is my fourth photo.

Waste disposal / TOEIC

"There are three large garbage boxes on a street.
I can only see the part of the blue box at the right edge of this photo, yet I can see the rest two box totally.
The center box and the left side one have the same shape and green color.
There are two people at the center box. The person on the right side is holding up a lid, and looking inside the box. The other person on the left side is riding on the edge of the box by his waist and leaning forward into the box. His feet are on the air. It seems that he’s trying to catch something in the box."

How do you describe the person who is leaning forward?
Thank you.

There is no answer to this post yet.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Fishing in the urban city - 07-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Hi.

Fishing in the city / TOEIC

This is a vertically long photo of a man fishing by the urban city river. He's standing on the pavement by the river, who is holding a surf casting rod and fishing right now.

He's holding a bag in the shoulder, but there is no fish container to be seen and I wonder he's actually caught any fish.

At the opposite side of the river, I can see well-paved tall bank. The water level seems relatively low.
Next to the river, there is a road with heavy traffic.
At the background, there is a big building covered with glass, through which we can see the reflection of buildings on the back side of the camera.

This is quite a big urban city, and it seems a little odd to see such a fisherman.
Yet, on the second thoughts, it is because of an urban city, where we could often see peculiar people.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-11-2011 at 03:29 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi supperman, I'll try to take a look at some of these later on. Its quite a lot to check on.
You do very well though.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Hi.

Fishing in the city / TOEIC

This is a vertically long photo (WE call that "PORTRAIT VIEW") as against LANDSCAPE) of a man fishing by the urban city river. He's standing on the pavement by the river, who AND is holding a surf casting rod and IS fishing right now.

He's holding a bag in the (OVER HIS shoulder, but there is no fish container to be seen and I wonder IF he's actually caught any fish.

At (ON) the opposite side of the river, I can see THE well-paved tall bank ( HIGH CONCRETE BANK).? The water level seems relatively low.
At (IN)the background, there is a big building covered with glass, through which we can see the reflection of buildings. on the back side of the camera. (Behind the photographer.)?

This is quite a big urban city, and it seems a little odd to see such a fisherman.
Yet, on the second thoughts, it is because of an urban city, where we could often see peculiar people.
(UNUSUAL ACTIVITIES)

I think PECULIAR people is not a good way to describe them. Maybe It is unusual to see anyone fishing in this Urban City, but people doing unexpected
things or activities is normal in a Large City. (just a suggestion)

Maybe he knows there are many fish down in that river.

I live near a shipping port and we observe many fishermen leaning over the bridge hoping to catch a fish.

There could be other changes in your writing but on the whole its very good Supperman.

My japanese friend used to tell me that too many rivers in Japan have concrete banks rather than natural grass river banks.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2011, 10:36 AM

Thank you very much, dogsbody70, for your kind lecture and correction.
I’ll try to re-write them.

This is a portrait-view photo of a man fishing by the urban city river. He's standing on the pavement by the river, and is holding a surf casting rod and is fishing right now.

He's holding a bag over his shoulder, but there is no fish container to be seen and I wonder if he's actually caught any fish.

On the opposite side of the river, I can see the high concrete bank. The water level seems relatively low.
In the background, there is a big building covered with glass, through which we can see the reflection of buildings behind the photographer.
Maybe it is unusual to see anyone fishing in this urban city, but people doing unexpected things or activities is normal in a large city.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

>>My Japanese friend used to tell me that too many rivers in Japan have concrete banks rather than natural grass river banks.

It is true in urban area in Japan, yet we can see natural things in rural towns and country-settings even today.

When I was younger, about 30 years ago, there were natural rivers even in urban area, and in the rainy season, we experienced flood coming from the natural rivers, once or twice a year.

Thanks to the embankment works, we seldom experience flood in the urban city now, though the beautiful scenery has ruined with the artificial rivers.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-11-2011 at 10:38 AM.