LinkBack Thread Tools
(#161 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Where I colour a word in RED-- it is incorrect.
Of course, I know your rule in this thread.

You may think that Supperman's green letters are his summary. He's trying to summarize what he was taught, and make them easy to search, when he looks back them in the future.
edit)
"Summarize" may not the proper expression here. Usually "to summarize" means to make a brief ,concise and abstract summary.
Yet, what I'm doing here in green letters is to write each concrete wrong sentences and their correct versions.

Last edited by Supperman : 08-03-2011 at 03:27 PM.
(#162 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I know. I meant that you corrected it so that 'not' should be omitted, and went on to explain why such a correction is needed. If there's any confusion over that, I apologise.
I think Dogsbody70 was commenting not against yours, but against my "I will write correct/wrong sentences in green letters".

I think this is some kind of her humor,
Don't you, Dogsbody?
(#163 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
I think Dogsbody70 was commenting not against yours, but against my "I will write correct/wrong sentences in green letters".

I think this is some kind of her humor,
Don't you, Dogsbody?
LOL whoa whoa-- we might get in a muddle if we continue.

NO Superman, I like and follow well your use of the green font.

I just wished to establish that I had used RED for a word or words that should have been omitted.

Perhaps I did not have time to be thorough enough. Whoa,means STOP. which we would use when driving or riding a horse and want him/her to Stop.

I actually do not know the correct spelling of WHOA.

sometimes when somebody gets excited and talking too quickly, we might say to them.," Hey whoa there, slow down"

I do realise that sometimes I do things in a hurry and am not careful enough.

pronounced "Wo" there. though some may say it almost like WAR.
(#164 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Of course, I know your rule in this thread.

You may think that Supperman's green letters are his summary. He's trying to summarize what he was taught, and make them easy to search, when he looks back AT them in the future.
edit)
"Summarize" may not BE the proper expression here. Usually "to summarize" means to make a brief ,concise and abstract summary.
Yet, what I'm doing here in green letters is to write each concrete wrong sentences and their correct versions.
You are altering and correcting your previous writings.

No, it is not a summary, you are right there.

Maybe some students will provide the word you are looking for.
(#165 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Supperman (and sorry to Dogs, too!). I was very busy this morning with graduation paperwork, so I misread who Dogs comment was directed towards. I thought she was telling me, rather than you, what her corrections meant. That's my mistake again, lol. I shouldn't really try and multi-task forums with actual work!

Quote:
You may think that Supperman's green letters are his summary. He's trying to summarize what he was taught, and make them easy to search, when he looks back them in the future.
edit)
"Summarize" may not the proper expression here. Usually "to summarize" means to make a brief ,concise and abstract summary.
I think 'correction' is a fine enough word to use instead of summarise, or like Dogs said 'alterations'. Maybe you could use 'consolidation', too? 'Consolidate' has the meaning of to solidify learning (in this context), and to make shorter and more succinct. So "He's trying to consolidate what he was taught"?

Last edited by RobinMask : 08-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
(#166 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I think 'correction' is a fine enough word to use instead of summarise, or like Dogs said 'alterations'. Maybe you could use 'consolidation', too? 'Consolidate' has the meaning of to solidify learning (in this context), and to make shorter and more succinct. So "He's trying to consolidate what he was taught"?
Thank you.
Consolidate and solidify are new words for me.
Probably consolidate= con + solid + ate, solidify=solid + ify.
(#167 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

For my study use only ...Thanks. - 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM

I don't intend to make anyone angry.
I just want to see this thread for my re-study of what I was taught by native speakers.

Thanks.

This thread is closed.
DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING!
Thank you.

Last edited by Supperman : 06-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.