JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Allergy / Allergies - 07-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Hi, I was reading an article regarding soy allergy and peanut allergies. What I am curious is, why soy allergy and peanut allergies and not peanut allergy?

I am confused with these words: Allergy, Allergies and Allergic. Could someone explain the differences to me? And I also came across food allergy and food allergies? What is the difference?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-09-2011, 02:02 PM

From all of the allergies out there i have only one allergy. i am allergic to bee stings.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks, evanny.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, I was reading an article regarding soy allergy and peanut allergies. What I am curious is, why soy allergy and peanut allergies and not peanut allergy?
What do you mean? A person allergic to peanuts has a peanut allergy.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 06:43 PM

I was actually asking why did the article stated that "Peanut allergies (instead of allergy) are on the increase, and are a source of great concern for manufacturers and consumers alike."

My question was why did the word "allergies" used instead of "allergy" in the sentence? Sorry for the confusion.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。

Last edited by Maxful : 07-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM

I do not see any reasons why 'peanut allergies' is not in the singular form, although the context of the article might dictate it to be in plural. It my be clearer if you can post us the whole article so that we can have a look at them. In regard of the terms:
Allergy - Singular noun
Allergies – Plural noun
Allergic - Adjective

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Hi wolfrainvn, take this article for example Peanuts - One of the nine most common food allergens

"It was once thought that peanut allergies were lifelong. However, recent studies show some children may outgrow their peanut allergy. Consult your allergist before reintroducing peanut products."

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi wolfrainvn, take this article for example Peanuts - One of the nine most common food allergens

"It was once thought that peanut allergies were lifelong. However, recent studies show some children may outgrow their peanut allergy. Consult your allergist before reintroducing peanut products."
Because the writer thinks that there are plural types of peanut allergies.

It was once thought that all types of peanut allergies were life long.
However, recent studies show some types of peanut allergies were cured when the children grew up , though other types of peanut allergies were life long.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Supperman.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GinaS (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Because the writer thinks that there are plural types of peanut allergies.

It was once thought that all types of peanut allergies were life long.
However, recent studies show some types of peanut allergies were cured when the children grew up , though other types of peanut allergies were life long.
That was a very good interpretation, but I think it's a different problem here, grammatically speaking (from an allergist's point of view there are different sorts of allergies to something like a peanut that contains a number of possible allergens).

I think allergies is plural in the first case because they're talking about many cases of people who are allergic to peanuts, rather than many kinds of allergies, although they may well mean that too. I'm not sure the difference matters there. In the second case they used singular because they were trying to talk about the allergy that an individual has.

The problem here is using the plural children, and then using a singular noun as the thing being possessed by the plural. It's akin to the error of using their to avoid the awkward but inclusive his or her instead of defaulting to his when gender is unknown, and probably why they incorrectly chose the singular allergy. It's a usage that's become so common, some grammarians are even reluctantly beginning to accept it under some circumstances.

But I think the sentence should have been written, "...children may outgrow their peanut allergies." Or, "...a child may outgrow his or her peanut allergy." That's the sort of sentence where more and more you will see even professional writers replace his or her with their as if it were a singular possessive, sacrificing grammatical correctness in exchange for political correctness and the flow of the sentence.