JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KiefaHowie (Offline)
New to JF

Women in Japan - 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Hi, i'm doing a project on the representation of women in Japanese Anime and Japanese Culture, overall? I have been viewing this forum for quite some time as a lover of all things Japanese. I am being asked to gather opinion from the internet, as part of my research and it would be of great help to me if some of you guys could answer the question below.

Has the treatment of Women in Japanese Anime, specifically Studio Ghibli, altered since the 1980’s? Or are Japanese Women’s roles still dictated by male audience’s voyeuristic pleasure? In my opinion, Women are still limited to being portrayed as adolescent schoolchildren; vulnerable, weak and defenceless. Even Miyazaki has come out with defamatory marks when questioned about this: “When a girl is shooting a handgun, it's really something. She shoots a handgun as if she is throwing dishes”, “At first, I thought this is no longer the era of men but after ten years, I grew tired of saying that. I just say "cause I like women." That has more reality.

I feel, even after the modernisation of Japan, women are still inferior and Japan still holds a patriarchal attitude. So what do you think? Do you think the way women are represented in Hayao Miyazaki’s Japanese Anime and the way they are treated in Japanese Culture has shifted, or is Japan still a male-dominant society?

Thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

01-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Why is it Women can say whatever they want about Men but it cant be taken lightly the other way round?
Sure in Japan there may be some voyeuristic pleasure taken from Women but thats because it sells as it does everywhere else. You're telling me that this doesn't happen in other countries too?
Even so, the same works for Males. They are portrayed as something that women might find attractive in cliched roles that require them to be popular.
Anyway, in Anime there are many examples of female roles that don't portray women in a sexist light. Miyazaki almost always uses female roles too and in quite a non-sexist fashion.
What is so patriarchal about Princess Mononoke or Chihiro?

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 01-24-2008 at 06:44 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

American media is the same way. Very sexist.

And in my opinion there are quite a few portrayals of strong women in Japanese media. Especially Miyazaki's works.

I agree with his complaint, but I definitely don't think it's limited to Japan.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-25-2008, 01:14 AM

I'll tell you what my observation is.

When it comes to Japan, it seems that gender roles are a lot more established and accepted in their culture.

I don't think that necessarily means that discrimination and objectification of women is more a problem than in the West (as others have said). Though I suppose it would be natural to jump to that conclusion if you look at it from our Western perspective

However, in my opinion the intersting question is, Are gender roles much a problem to Japanese women.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-25-2008, 06:50 AM

although women are slowly becoming more vocal in their societal roles here, there is still alot of sexist discrimination here. women are still sort of expected to quit their jobs when they get pregnant so that they can stay home and take care of the kids. the wife is expected to serve her husband, but recently this trend has been waning and you can see the results. more women are pursuing their dreams and careers, therefore less women are getting married and having kids and the population decline is a direct result of this...obviously. so you can say women are becoming more independent.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiefaHowie View Post
Hi, i'm doing a project on the representation of women in Japanese Anime and Japanese Culture, overall? I have been viewing this forum for quite some time as a lover of all things Japanese. I am being asked to gather opinion from the internet, as part of my research and it would be of great help to me if some of you guys could answer the question below.

Has the treatment of Women in Japanese Anime, specifically Studio Ghibli, altered since the 1980’s? Or are Japanese Women’s roles still dictated by male audience’s voyeuristic pleasure? In my opinion, Women are still limited to being portrayed as adolescent schoolchildren; vulnerable, weak and defenceless. Even Miyazaki has come out with defamatory marks when questioned about this: “When a girl is shooting a handgun, it's really something. She shoots a handgun as if she is throwing dishes”, “At first, I thought this is no longer the era of men but after ten years, I grew tired of saying that. I just say "cause I like women." That has more reality.

I feel, even after the modernisation of Japan, women are still inferior and Japan still holds a patriarchal attitude. So what do you think? Do you think the way women are represented in Hayao Miyazaki’s Japanese Anime and the way they are treated in Japanese Culture has shifted, or is Japan still a male-dominant society?

Thank you
Slow down a minute here.

Has the treatment of Women in Japanese Anime, specifically Studio Ghibli, altered since the 1980’s?

Ghibli movies are almost always about disempowered women finding power. Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, all of them. The example doesn't match the question. On top of that. Miyazaki movies are rarely set IN Japan.

Or are Japanese Women’s roles still dictated by male audience’s voyeuristic pleasure?

Since when have Ghibli movies been about T&A? This question is very strange to me.

In my opinion, Women are still limited to being portrayed as adolescent schoolchildren; vulnerable, weak and defenceless.

Have you watched a Ghibli movie? Totoro, Kiki, Princess Mononoke, Spririted Away... all films about typical girls finding strength in atypical situations.

I think you have a lot to learn about Japanese culture. Spend two days in a Japanese household and you will know who the true boss is. Japanese men "traditionally" move out of their homes when then marry. There is always a "mother figure" in thier life. I am sorry, but your old-fashioned theories don't hold water in my book.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
although women are slowly becoming more vocal in their societal roles here, there is still alot of sexist discrimination here. women are still sort of expected to quit their jobs when they get pregnant so that they can stay home and take care of the kids. the wife is expected to serve her husband, but recently this trend has been waning and you can see the results. more women are pursuing their dreams and careers, therefore less women are getting married and having kids and the population decline is a direct result of this...obviously. so you can say women are becoming more independent.
Slowly becoming more vocal? Look at the birthrate. Japan is in the middle of a woman's movement. The population capped in 2006 and is now declining for the simple reason that Japanese women are mad as hell, and aren't going to take it anymore. This isn't a slight murmur but a clear and mad roar.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

01-25-2008, 08:20 AM

I feel like the only accurate response you can possibly receive is from an actual Japanese female who has been brought up in Japan and has experienced it fully. Also, it would probably help to have your questions answered from a Japanese male as well. Foreigners can only empathize and make an educated guess. We don't know what it's actually like to be in their shoes and even if we manage to taste a bit of the Japanese lifestyle, we would be judging it through a foreign perspective, comparing it to our own standards and code of ethics.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Mihoko (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Mihoko
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM

As a middle aged Japanese woman who has husband and two boys, yes. Japanese women are expected to be stuck to their homes with children. But this does not mean Japanese women are treated as "INFERIOR" one.

In Christianity, a woman was created from part of a man by GOD who is also a man. But in Japanese myth, it is a woman (goddess) who created everything. From mountains, human beings and animals.. everything came out of her wombs! sounds fun?

Of course, no Japanese people in 21st century beblieves this as a true story, but this myth story suggests that Japanese men (mostly farmers) have respected and terrified women. We have no histroy to be taught that women are inferior and have to be protected. Housewives in Japan are not treated as inferior ones, and most Japanese husbands fear (rather love) their wives. That's why most Japanese wives choose to stay at home since their homes are rather confortable.

Girls in Japanese anime seem to be (Japanese) boys' dreams who want women to be cute and pretty but can protect boys in case like their mothers.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

01-25-2008, 12:44 PM

-----------------------------------------

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 01-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.