JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japan, Seeking Trim Waists, Measures Millions - 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check.

Should something like this be initiated in Japan and other places of the world, say the US? Why or why not?

Do you think it could happen in the States?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2009, 06:40 PM

I think something like this should happen, especially starting in schools at a young age. In a country where people think a 64 ounce Diet Coke is a making a healthy choice, something needs to be done, and that means starting early.

Unfortunately Americans live in a country where we feel fat is our freedom, without fully understanding that obesity is one of the biggest causes of health problems (from joints to heart disease) and that besides a longer life span, it is a major drain on tax revenues, from welfare to medical costs.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
11-10-2009, 07:14 PM

This should totally be started in America. I think most fat people in America don't realize how fat they actually are.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Hmmm, I've had diabetes since '95, and the most I've ever weighed was 117 lbs. I was just weighed yesterday, and the result was 111 lbs. My point is that while obesity can lead to diabetes, it isn't necessarily the cause of it, as proven by myself and three of my cousins.

I feel it would be better though if there were stipulations for certain jobs when it comes to weight; I've seen "policemen" and customs officers that look like they wouldn't be successful if they had to chase somebody by foot because they are so out of shape.

It's one thing if you have one of those medical conditions that make you obese(my old endocrinologist has a condition like that), but seriously, that seems to be a convenient excuse for the great majority of those people. One thing I DO know is that if you're extremely overweight and are going to travel by plane, you have to pay for two seats because of all the space that's being taken up.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Taken from CR
Crunchyroll - Forum - ALOT of Japanese girl's Thighs dont touch at the top, why is that??

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#6 (permalink))
Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
11-10-2009, 11:40 PM

Hmm...iffy subject...My mother has been overweight since she was a child, and it's not because she likes it or anything, it's becuase of her genetic make-up. I think that this could be useful, but I also believe that there should also be some standards.

People who cannot help the fact that they are overweight, or do not fit the government's criteria because of they're genetic make-up should be exucsed, and given more help than they already have to become healthier, and perhaps, eventually, fit the criteria that the government has set upon them.

But if you want my personal opinion, I think it's a buncha crap. XD Governments try so hard to "Out-Do" each other that they sometimes lose focus on what really should be taken care of. I'm not saying obesity is not an important problem, like I said, I've seen the consequences. What I'm saying is...there are wars out there, people that are not being taken care of in countries arcoss the world, and we focus on the population's waist measurements?

That's just my personal opinion...

Hope it helps,

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-11-2009, 12:18 AM

I believe that you can have a genetic predisposition toward gaining weight - but not that it means you are destined to be overweight. It`s just easier to get there. Wrong choices do more damage - but the damage won`t happen if you don`t make the wrong choices. Anyone is capable of being thin, and I think that blaming it entirely on genetics is denial. There are a few medical disorders that cause you to be overweight, but short of that it is indeed your choices.

With this study in Japan, it`s to check the status of workplaces to allow opportunities for people to move around - get a healthy lunch - etc. Places that offer few "moving" breaks (long enough to leave the company and walk around for a little bit), and short lunch times tend to have more overweight employees. Even if they have the same amount of total breaks a day. You`re far more likely to take a walk outside if you have a single 30 minute break than if you have three 10 minute breaks. You`re also more likely to eat a healthy lunch if you have 60 minutes for your lunch break rather than 30. Combine that with a desk job, and you`re basically not moving at all during the day.

This measuring the waistlines thing is definitely not new though - they`ve been measuring them at all the national and company health checks for at least 8 years. (When we started taking part in them) You get weight counseling if your waist is over a certain size.

I don`t really think it should be done in US schools. Children themselves are not really the problem. It`s parents who see childhood obesity as "baby fat" or the like and teach their kids that a fast food meal is okay if you order a diet drink on the side.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-11-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t really think it should be done in US schools. Children themselves are not really the problem. It`s parents who see childhood obesity as "baby fat" or the like and teach their kids that a fast food meal is okay if you order a diet drink on the side.
What I mean is, health eating education is not coming to many children at home, so I think the schools need to step up. I am not saying overweight kids should be expelled, but I think there are ways to counsel kids into better habits.

Where I live in recent years the corporate sponsored football fields are being rejected as usually the contract means putting Pepsi machines in high schools. In recent years these are being tossed out of schools and replaced with healthier drinks. More things like this need to happen.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
11-11-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Where I live in recent years the corporate sponsored football fields are being rejected as usually the contract means putting Pepsi machines in high schools. In recent years these are being tossed out of schools and replaced with healthier drinks. More things like this need to happen.
This same thing was done at one of my old schools. Did it change anything? Of course not. School isn't the only place children buy drinks. It won't be a place they're going to buy drinks if it doesn't have the drinks they like (the unhealthy ones). This is something that has to be fixed by the students, the school can't do it for them.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-11-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
This same thing was done at one of my old schools. Did it change anything? Of course not. School isn't the only place children buy drinks. It won't be a place they're going to buy drinks if it doesn't have the drinks they like (the unhealthy ones). This is something that has to be fixed by the students, the school can't do it for them.
By letting Pepsi machines sit inside school, it tells students that drinking soft drinks every day is a good things.

You can't say taking soft drink machines out of schools does nothing to help.

A lot of schools have closed campuses, so little things like this can make a difference.