JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Haruki Murakami, Japanese author (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/13989-haruki-murakami-japanese-author.html)

xYinniex 04-01-2008 04:48 PM

Haruki Murakami, Japanese author

Has anybody read his books, or translated works, shall i say?

I didn't know where else to put this, so here it goes. =D

I love Haruki Murakami's books, they're so abstract and they detail the life of the capitalism, society and obscured twisted supernatural views that he has picked up from superstitions and normal everyday life.

Although, I find that because I read the translated works and books are translated by different people, they seem sort of inconsistant to me. But i guess thats ex[ected, because there is a difference in understanding.

They are pretty hardgoing and 'weird' but they are well worth the read. ^^

Recommendations are:

Dance, Dance Dance
- i loved this one SOO much
sleeping woman, blind willow: a collection of short stories which is REALLY interesting, and you don't have to read it all at once so it's a pretty easy start
Norwegian Wood: still reading=D, its based on a beatles song.

adina 04-01-2008 04:53 PM

the only one I read was Norwegian Wood and I loved it
I finish it in a few hours cause it was addicting <3
that much I liked it XDD
it'ss definitly one of my favourite books...I should read more of his books *nods*

SMGotenks 04-26-2008 12:46 PM

Haruki Murakami, he is very good!
My first his book was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Great book, quite long, I recommend.

Tain 09-30-2008 04:40 AM

*kicks topic*

anyone still reading this? i love his books, think he's a really good writer. currently reading the wind-up bird chronicle.

MMM 09-30-2008 05:10 AM

He is an amazing writer...no denying. If you like short stories, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman is excellent.

Tain 09-30-2008 06:38 AM

if you have some minutes to spare i can also recommend reading this short story: Haruki Murakami: On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning

theAlphaDuck 09-30-2008 09:56 AM

one of those ive alway's meant to read...

i'll get right on it... after war and peace :P

xYinniex 09-30-2008 10:00 AM

I just bought After dark a few months ago.
It's as haunting as the rest of his works. ^^
Its about the odd relationship between two sisters, but the plot and twists are really original

kenmei 09-30-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 597928)
I just bought After dark a few months ago.
It's as haunting as the rest of his works. ^^
Its about the odd relationship between two sisters, but the plot and twists are really original

i'm reading that now, i've read probably 3/4ths of it.. it's pretty insane :eek:

Hisuwashi 09-30-2008 03:59 PM

I've only read After Dark.

I was transformed and amazed.