JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How literate is your writing?
what are grammar . 1 1.11%
What are , " and . for? 1 1.11%
I can write just fine--I just don't do it 11 12.22%
I'm a grammar nazi, and I show it. 22 24.44%
I try to use good grammar... usually 27 30.00%
Grammar comes easy, but I really don't care 19 21.11%
I have an excuse: English as Second Language 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM

I right in slang every now and then. But I don't write you as u. Or are as r. I can be a bit of a grammer nazi. When I type and I see I mispelled something I usually go back and fix it. I'm definitly not the best speller in the world, but I'm not illiterate.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-17-2008, 07:59 PM

On a forum like this, where we only see each other's words, how you use language is how people will form an opinion of you. Fair or not, that's the way it is.

Because I want people to understand what I am saying, I write clearly without a lot of misspellings and slang.

I am sometimes surprised at how some posters here really butcher the English language. I cannot see how typing "PPPLLLLEEEAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" is easier than typing "please". It's a style, and that's fine, but there is little value in being skilled in writing computer-speak, and great value in being able to write in proper English.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM

I read and write at a senior college level, or at least that's what my teacher says.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-17-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I know that's the case. But I can't help instantly looking at a piece of slang text and thinking that way, it's just a habit now.

Why do people write in slang in the first place and why is it easier? Just because it's about 3 seconds quicker?
tehe x3
3 seconds, when typing..is a long time actually >.>'''

buuut nee~ i've noticed, that a lot of people tend to type the way they talk~
>.>"'
thus the incorrect syntax that is occasionally present in posts are due to the lack of a fundamental understanding of the english language >.>'''

buut meh :3
that's about the only excuse i can come up w/ for this internet illiteracy that so plagues all the forums >.>''
x3

^---not fully thought out, and at hte moment of typing it...it feels kinda shallow...but ..not in the mood to revise everything atm >.<'''
bells about to ring and school ish about to end~ <33

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Hehe...

Yeah, when I first started into chat rooms, I quickly learned all the abbreviations, acronyms, anime smilies, and slang terms. Then when I started on forums, I found out that using them in an intelligent conversation is a detriment to your position.

The big break for me from low literacy to "better" literacy was when I started learning Spanish, oddly enough. I found that understanding grammar in a different language helped me understand my own language's grammar better o_O . Odd, I know.

And don't feel embarrased.

Literacy matters... depending on what you're talking about and to whom. If someone like MMM completely ignored grammar, I wouldn't debate with him. Ever. I would think he was too stupid to REALLY know what he was talking about, and I would most likely get the impression that he was a twelve year old mimiking the things his parents tell him. I also don't like to RP with people who don't at least act like they have some semblance of literacy.

I know that sounds elitist of me, but hey :P .

Spanish really? Hmmm....I for one flunked spanish But I can read and write it. But then like in english many words even slang have different meanings.

I sometimes just write what I'm thinking in my head and it naturally comes out long versed. In the RP's, to me would depend if your mini RPing I can understand the slang put into it. But in the art of RP...well to me that's a whole other matter. It's like you can't savor the work if it's been butchered.

No. you don't sound like that, just someone who appreciates what they write.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

I sometimes modify my writing a little so sound more like how I speak. I suppose that might count as slang... I don't typically do it if I'm trying to say something important, though :P . I think my worst thing is my use of smiliies ^_^; . I have to remember not to use them in my essays for English class.

When I do use internet slang, it's usually sarcastically.

Other people that do it compulsively, though... It's bothersome to read their stuff.

Mer, I should have included the misuse of homophones in the op! Like its vs it's, their vs they're vs there, right vs write, our vs are, etc. That bugs me a lot, too.

MMM: That was well said.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
AmbeRz (Offline)
(^_^)V

Send a message via MSN to AmbeRz
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM

I use smilies often too, but If I want to be taken more seriously, I try not to use them...I dont think I've ever had to remind myself not to use them in my English essays though

Others have habits of typing in slang, I have a habit of typing in proper English..which is a better habit I guess ;]
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic &lt;3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM

I used to use internet slang but then I stopped. I prefer writing properly because I find it is easier when talking to people who have English as their second language, plus I prefer it as I'm a writer and receive high grades in English class at school =]

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbeRz View Post
I use smilies often too, but If I want to be taken more seriously, I try not to use them...I dont think I've ever had to remind myself not to use them in my English essays though

Others have habits of typing in slang, I have a habit of typing in proper English..which is a better habit I guess ;]
Lucky... XD

I would have to agree.

As far as smilies go, I do have somewhat mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, they're not something you'll find in MLA Handbook Ver. 6, but on the other, they can serve to disambiguate a statement, even in serious conversation.

E.g., I can say:

That's great! (Which is ambiguous)
or
That's great! ^_^ (clearly happy)
or
That's great! -_- (clearly sarcastic)
or
That's great! <_<; ("awkward...")

and so on.

So, I'm kinda torn with smilies :P .

^ Hah, example of me making my writing sound like my speech: "kinda" probably isn't even a word outside of California and Northern Nevada :P .

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post

That's great! (Which is ambiguous)
or
That's great! ^_^ (clearly happy)
or
That's great! -_- (clearly sarcastic)
or
That's great! <_<; ("awkward...")

Funny. There is nothing "clear" about the differences to me. (I guess the sarcastic one looks sarcastic, but I don't usually try and translate the smilies. Maybe I should.)