JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How literate is your writing?
what are grammar . 1 1.11%
What are , " and . for? 1 1.11%
I can write just fine--I just don't do it 11 12.22%
I'm a grammar nazi, and I show it. 22 24.44%
I try to use good grammar... usually 27 30.00%
Grammar comes easy, but I really don't care 19 21.11%
I have an excuse: English as Second Language 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Funny. There is nothing "clear" about the differences to me. (I guess the sarcastic one looks sarcastic, but I don't usually try and translate the smilies. Maybe I should.)
smilies tell almost half the story of a post (if they're used frequently enough) >.>"''''
a
as mmm quoted x]

naaaantte ne x]
that's usually the case w/ this on anyway =3

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Funny. There is nothing "clear" about the differences to me. (I guess the sarcastic one looks sarcastic, but I don't usually try and translate the smilies. Maybe I should.)
So, uh you skipped over them? Oh my...and here I wonder what some of those XD and :P are....

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#23 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-17-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
On a forum like this, where we only see each other's words, how you use language is how people will form an opinion of you. Fair or not, that's the way it is.
That's strange... I can't say I've ever thought any less of someone that didn't use proper English or correct grammar.

I rarely ever write correctly on a forum. This is not due to the fact that I am illiterate, it is simply, laziness! English is my fourth language, therefore, even with my advanced/fluent level, I find it too much of a hassle to write using perfect English. The way I see it is; if you guys can understand me, then it’s enough. I am not writing anything formal, so, where is the need to make sure that every comma or capital letter etc is included?
On the other hand, I do understand your grievances when it involves people speaking in a language that cannot be called “English”, i.e. “i cnt w8 4 my bd”. “I can’t wait for my birthday”. If I’m honest though, I can’t say I’ve come across anyone that speaks in that manner on this forum. I’ve been able to understand everything people have said, on a grammatical level that is

EDIT: Can someone please explain what "A grammar Nazi" means exactly?

Last edited by noodle : 04-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I have an excuse....I use it conciously though.

From capital letters to the last .

My mood doesnt really have an effect on my typing anymore.

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Hmm... Well, I don't think I can give an explanation, really. Like real facial expressions, they're quite situational and are used differently by different people.

All I can say is that, like in face-to-face conversation, the "tone" of what you're reading/hearing and the visual cue of a(n) smilie/expression can help to make something more clear with respect to the intentions of the writer/speaker.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
That's strange... I can't say I've ever thought any less of someone that didn't use proper English or correct grammar.

I rarely ever write correctly on a forum. This is not due to the fact that I am illiterate, it is simply, laziness! English is my fourth language, therefore, even with my advanced/fluent level, I find it too much of a hassle to write using perfect English. The way I see it is; if you guys can understand me, then it’s enough. I am not writing anything formal, so, where is the need to make sure that every comma or capital letter etc is included?
On the other hand, I do understand your grievances when it involves people speaking in a language that cannot be called “English”, i.e. “i cnt w8 4 my bd”. “I can’t wait for my birthday”. If I’m honest though, I can’t say I’ve come across anyone that speaks in that manner on this forum. I’ve been able to understand everything people have said, on a grammatical level that is

EDIT: Can someone please explain what "A grammar Nazi" means exactly?
Actually, noodle, I've long thought that aside from some (relatively) minor punctuation infractions, your grammar is pretty damn good!

Fourth language?! Jeez, what languages do you speak?

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

04-17-2008, 08:47 PM

I write using grammer, but when I'm lazy, or in a hurry, I just type, it usually ends up like this: THat

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#28 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Actually, noodle, I've long thought that aside from some (relatively) minor punctuation infractions, your grammar is pretty damn good!

Fourth language?! Jeez, what languages do you speak?
Thank you, Amnell.
The languages in the order I’ve learnt them; Berber/Kabyle (mother tongue), Arabic, French and finally English. Though, I must admit, my English is better than my French (according to exam results and the level of confidence I have using them).
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Thank you, Amnell.
The languages in the order I’ve learnt them; Berber/Kabyle (mother tongue), Arabic, French and finally English. Though, I must admit, my English is better than my French (according to exam results and the level of confidence I have using them).
Wow really? Your English is exceptional!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-17-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Wow really? Your English is exceptional!
hehe. Thank you. You're too kind. I guess it should be expected from someone that has lived in the UK for 11 years.