JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-08-2008, 09:54 AM

I think that talking about education is always iffy, especially when it’s compared to previous generations. The comparison is always comparing today’s youths to yesterdays youths… i.e. they never question what today’s youth knows that yesterdays, didn’t know. For example, education today is far more varied than 20 years ago, so it’s normal that people may not be as good at math or English if they don’t study it as much as they did 20 years ago. I’m sure that if they compare what people knew today and what people knew 20 years ago, today’s people would not seem stupid as they have a much broader general knowledge of a lot of subjects. But unfortunately, this kind of comparison is never done.
As for literacy, I find it hard to believe that people today are as illiterate as the news says. I’m sure that when these teens become older and are obligated to use proper English at work, they won’t have problems. Teens are lazy and sometimes, even if they know something is incorrect, they will not bother to correct it.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

05-08-2008, 11:50 AM

So its official. Kids have become too stupid to differentiate between txtspk / l33t speak abbreviations and normal language. More precisely, they couldn't give a sh*t.
Its just proof that kids get it too easy these days. They can do mostly what they want and there is no discipline for them. Whats the incentive for them to take any route that requires more effort?

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#13 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Yes, Pew International is a creditable team - just check out their Advisory Board. But a phone survey of 700 teens is hardly a sampling upon which to base any theory. It is a good justification for a more in-depth study, but not a result for basing corrective action.

This is blaming only the students for their lack of writing skills (or incentive to use them).

Where is the blame for the parents that don't review their child's school work, and don't correct their verbal usage at home?

Where is the blame for the teachers not addressing the difference and enforcing standards in their classrooms? And I am not just talking about English teachers.

Where is the blame for the school administration for a curriculum that does not require students learn writing skills before progressing? I even wondered about this my senior year in high school when I transferred to Texas and discovered that English was not a required course for seniors. I took it as an elective!

Not all the blame rests with the student and the device in their hands.

And Excessum, you are right about this sort of ignorance is just what some governments could use to further oppress people. You don't have to censor the press or any other writers, if no one is bothering to read it or can't understand it.

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't gripe since I am being paid to correct the writing of my co-workers before publication. This trend is definitely adding to my job security.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
shinigami13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
And unfortunately, this disease has been spreading over the whole world.
It seems that acting (being) stupid, narrow minded and illiterate is getting more and more popular and usage of crippled language is just the tip of the iceberg.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, if you like, but it pretty much looks like the government(s) is (are) closer than ever to their goal of converting their subjects in-to a horde of brainless sheep.
I think that's the best point. It scares me, I'm terrified by this diffusion of idiocy but I'm believing that they're really trying to make us so stupid that we'd obey and support them anyway. And where I live it's getting worse...

THE SHINIGAMI CLAN!
Member of the Vampire Clan
MEMBER OF THE FINAL FANTASY CLAN
CODENAME:CLOUD

(#15 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
05-08-2008, 02:24 PM

That's just frightening. I think it's more a case of laziness than anything else. There is no way teens are confusing these. If they sit through any language or literature class they know better. Honestly, I've been texting and IMing for years and I am not stupid enough to think that chat speak has any place in the written word. Please, just think about it. These kids are lazy, not stupid. They just don't want to take the time to actually write out a full paper.

My question is why aren't their parents putting a stop to it? TalnSG is right. Some of the blame belongs to the parents as well. My mother raised me old school. If I'd have brought home a paper like that....*shudder*not only would I have gotten a very stern talking to ,but I would have more than likely gotten my rear end busted and had my phone and internet taken away had it continued. My parents were always strict on grades and it showed. I stayed in the Beta Club. My parents would have never put up with such nonsense and if I had a child, neither would I.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-08-2008, 04:31 PM

I have 3 neices between 9 and 16 and their father is an IT Director. (They also have 2 teachers and another techno-geek as "elders"). You can bet they are steeped in tech-speak. But I have seen the school work and their schools have the same standards mine did when it comes to written work. I can just imagine the reaction if any of the family caught them writing the same way they IM or Text.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

05-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightChilde25 View Post
That's just frightening. I think it's more a case of laziness than anything else. There is no way teens are confusing these. If they sit through any language or literature class they know better. Honestly, I've been texting and IMing for years and I am not stupid enough to think that chat speak has any place in the written word. Please, just think about it. These kids are lazy, not stupid. They just don't want to take the time to actually write out a full paper.

My question is why aren't their parents putting a stop to it? TalnSG is right. Some of the blame belongs to the parents as well. My mother raised me old school. If I'd have brought home a paper like that....*shudder*not only would I have gotten a very stern talking to ,but I would have more than likely gotten my rear end busted and had my phone and internet taken away had it continued. My parents were always strict on grades and it showed. I stayed in the Beta Club. My parents would have never put up with such nonsense and if I had a child, neither would I.
If your reply is aimed at me calling the teens stupid, then re-read what I say below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
More precisely, they couldn't give a sh*t.
Its just proof that kids get it too easy these days. They can do mostly what they want and there is no discipline for them. Whats the incentive for them to take any route that requires more effort?
I thought the highlighted would also be taken by people to mean "teens are lazy".
Also, the point I brought up about there being no discipline or any incentive for them to work harder, is supposed to make you think and say "right, the kids need better parenting".
So yea, i've already made the points you and others have outlined.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#18 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
05-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
If your reply is aimed at me calling the teens stupid, then re-read what I say below.

I thought the highlighted would also be taken by people to mean "teens are lazy".
Also, the point I brought up about there being no discipline or any incentive for them to work harder, is supposed to make you think and say "right, the kids need better parenting".
So yea, i've already made the points you and others have outlined.
I know. It wasn't aimed at you. I did read your response, I was just stating my own feelings on it. They just happen to be in line with yours.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

05-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightChilde25 View Post
I know. It wasn't aimed at you. I did read your response, I was just stating my own feelings on it. They just happen to be in line with yours.
Ok Just in case

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#20 (permalink))
Old
chibiloli93 (Offline)
Zero Luver!

05-08-2008, 07:33 PM

So, r u talking about them complaining about people shortening words & phrases in writing or in text? well its not entirely true, I have a friend(darkbeauty11) who uses text lingo & reads above college level it even amazes me b/c we are only in 9th grade!

Every place plays favorites -____-

http://xxbullet-proofxx.deviantart.com/