JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
Autistic Child - 05-23-2008, 07:03 AM

Okay, so I was wondering if anyone as had to deal with a child that has autism? If so, how did you calm any outbursts they had??? And how did you refraid yourself from yelling at them?
Please tell me because I am watching my 6yr old bro and its 2 in the morning. He's been up since 11pm and I can't find anything that will calm him down. If you have an idea on what I should do, please reply a.s.a.p.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-23-2008, 08:30 AM

The fact that you are asking that question here tells me that you need some outlets for help.

Where are his parents?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
05-23-2008, 12:39 PM

I know it's probably too late but.... I had to deal with quite a few Autistic Children when I voulenteered for Camp Smile a Mile. I wish there were an easy answer to your question, but there is not. Every child is different. What calms one may make another even worse. My best advice to you is to find something that he likes and try your best to distract him. As for not yelling, just try to remind yourself that he's just a child and he can not help his condition. If it gets really bad, place him a safe area, make sure he has everything he needs for the next little while and go take a breather. Sometimes just going in the other room or outside for five minutes will help you.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The fact that you are asking that question here tells me that you need some outlets for help.

Where are his parents?
my dad lives in decatur and my mom had to work. My older sister was at work so she couldn't help me and my younger sis was just as bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightChilde25
I know it's probably too late but.... I had to deal with quite a few Autistic Children when I voulenteered for Camp Smile a Mile. I wish there were an easy answer to your question, but there is not. Every child is different. What calms one may make another even worse. My best advice to you is to find something that he likes and try your best to distract him. As for not yelling, just try to remind yourself that he's just a child and he can not help his condition. If it gets really bad, place him a safe area, make sure he has everything he needs for the next little while and go take a breather. Sometimes just going in the other room or outside for five minutes will help you.
I finally got him settled down after about 3 and nothing would calm him down. I had to literally hold him down from hitting and biting my sister. For 6 he's pretty strong o_O
as for getting away, hard to do. my lil sister will taunt him and i have to make sure she dont
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

05-27-2008, 11:20 PM

Hmmm I never lived with someone who had autism but I did have a friend who I hung out with in high school who had autism but he wasn't bad. Although he was a pot head so maybe thats why he was always calm O_o!?!.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Eiri (Offline)
Random lost person

Send a message via Yahoo to Eiri
05-28-2008, 12:35 AM

I have an autistic older brother and a 9 1/2 year old niece that has down syndrome........my brother is eaiser to handle, he's, and I cant remember the actuall term for this, but he's mentally retarded, meaning that mom/me/sisters have to take care of him, and though there are times that he gets rilled up over loud noises, or just letting us know that he has to go to the bathroom, he's usually okay, but my niece on the other hand drives me to the edge, she has a habit of moving/taking/doing things she KNOWS she's not supposed to, like other day, she called 911, and my sister had already somewhat explained to her what the # was for and when to call it, but she called it anyways so whent the police, fire department and fire rescue arrived at their house, my sister made her go outside to take a look what she did, and she also has this thing she does, she keeps looking at you while "playing" and makes like she's gonna try to pull a fast one, which is really annoying cuz sometimes she does try something and sometimes she's just being annoying just to annoy me cuz she knows that I keep my eye on her, in the end she does end up with my attention, just not in a good way, but that usually happens when she's restless and has "nothing" to do so we (as in my mom...and occasionaly me) tell her to pick a tv, sit down and watch it.

My Property:Pexster, Slykaz1

If the ocean was vodka and i was a duck,
i would go to the bottom and drink my way up
but the ocean isn't vodka and i'm no duck
so pass up the bottle and shut the hell up!

Score: Eiri: 43 Slykaz1: 78Rojjin: 59 Yuna7780: 79 reihino:15 Crani:22 Ramones1976:0 AnimeBaby:3 Arikado:1 Kikibunny23:3
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

05-28-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiri View Post
I have an autistic older brother and a 9 1/2 year old niece that has down syndrome........my brother is eaiser to handle, he's, and I cant remember the actuall term for this, but he's mentally retarded, meaning that mom/me/sisters have to take care of him, and though there are times that he gets rilled up over loud noises, or just letting us know that he has to go to the bathroom, he's usually okay, but my niece on the other hand drives me to the edge, she has a habit of moving/taking/doing things she KNOWS she's not supposed to, like other day, she called 911, and my sister had already somewhat explained to her what the # was for and when to call it, but she called it anyways so whent the police, fire department and fire rescue arrived at their house, my sister made her go outside to take a look what she did, and she also has this thing she does, she keeps looking at you while "playing" and makes like she's gonna try to pull a fast one, which is really annoying cuz sometimes she does try something and sometimes she's just being annoying just to annoy me cuz she knows that I keep my eye on her, in the end she does end up with my attention, just not in a good way, but that usually happens when she's restless and has "nothing" to do so we (as in my mom...and occasionaly me) tell her to pick a tv, sit down and watch it.
My brother got put on some different medicine so he is much calmer and wow....my 2yr old neice has down-syndrome...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SakuraStorm92 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 02-24-2014, 03:13 AM

Hi. I have an autistic sister, and have had to watch her alone on multiple occasions. The best advise I can give to you is to watch the behaviors that he shows. It may just be sensory overload. And if that is the case just sit him down in a quiet room and calmy play together for 10 to 15 mins.

It used to help my sister so much. I hope it helps! Good luck!

Peace & Love!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TakiKun (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 View Post
my dad lives in decatur and my mom had to work. My older sister was at work so she couldn't help me and my younger sis was just as bad

I finally got him settled down after about 3 and nothing would calm him down. I had to literally hold him down from hitting and biting my sister. For 6 he's pretty strong o_O
as for getting away, hard to do. my lil sister will taunt him and i have to make sure she dont

ahh, that brings back memories when i was little and I had all those outburst and tantrums XD yea I have aspergers and I was like that alot. I remember when i had to get a shot, 4-5 years old and it took 3 doctors to pin me down lol (i socked the fourth one in the face). is there anything that he likes? If he has a favorite toy or show or something you can try to use that. I know music helped me now and then when i was his age too (and plenty of pokemon and digimon).