JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xX2DXx (Offline)
JF Regular

Europe - 05-27-2008, 02:54 AM

I need help, I haven't traveled anywhere out of the U.S. and I'm leaving on a trip to Europe.
France,Rome,London and I want to know how there climate is and what type of clothing should I bring with me?.
I'm going to be walking everywhere and I'm not sure what I should bring with me, so can I have some advice from someone who has traveled there or is living there now.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Hey there! I must tell you that the weather in Europe is fairly random and unpredictable, especially nowadays. London is more sunny than the rest of England because it's further down, but it still gets its fair share of wind and rain. My advice would be to bring waterproofs that you can just put on over the top of normal clothing if it starts to rain. You can always buy a collapseable umbrella here so there isn't really a need to bring one with you. I've been to France and while I was there it was sunny. The hottest time in England is June and July but it is rarely every VERY hot unless there is a heat wave. The average weather is neither hot nor cold, and slightly windy. If you go to London, [if your not afraid of heights] the London eye is cool! You should also see London bridge and have a look at the Crown Jewels aswell. My favourite place in London is Camden Market and you can get all sorts of things there, it's unlike any other place in the world! If your in France you'll obviously want to see the Eiffel Tower! It's really massive! I've never been to rome so I can't share any information about that. If you have any more questions about London I'd be happy to answer them!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
and slightly windy.
Slightly windy? lol

I have been all around France (except for Normandy and other western regions ), London and Rome ^__^

I usually travel during Easter vacations, July and August; and I've always had fairly good weather. You didn't say when you're leaving so I'm guessing it's summer, in Italy it gets really hot in summertime so I'd suggest taking light clothes for the day. The good thing about Rome is it's so tiny compared to most other European cities, you start walking and within 2 hours you're right in the opposite side of the city. Make sure you take different types of shoes (4 pairs at least) because you'll be walking a lot, your feet will be hurting so you need to have shoes you can change into when this happens.

France is quite a large country, whereabouts in France are you going? (besdies Paris)

As for London, I was in Southern England for almost a month in July and it only rained twice during my stay there. It by far won't be as hot as it'll be in Italy though. And yeah, the London Eye is awesome unless it's foggy, then you won't see much of anything.

Misa, I heard the Camden Market was being shut down? o_o

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
koaku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2008, 04:52 PM

I have been all around France (except for Normandy and other western regions ), London and Rome ^__^ and you missed nothing! Normandie is probably the most boring region of all France ....( Cold, Rain, Wind, .... again and again and again and again....) Personally, I love Italy, I'm going there very often (Turin, Roma)and I very like this country (with Spain), London Nothing to say, I lived 2 years in Bromley and Croydon and its a beautiful city ( my favorite)

and for Camden, I have no news, but I know that the Hawley Arms Pub was hit by the flames during the fire ..*SAD*

I Honestly, seriously and truly.....don't care about U
(#5 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

05-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaku View Post
the Hawley Arms Pub was hit by the flames during the fire ..*SAD*

Awww man...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX2DXx View Post
I need help, I haven't traveled anywhere out of the U.S. and I'm leaving on a trip to Europe.
France,Rome,London and I want to know how there climate is and what type of clothing should I bring with me?.
I'm going to be walking everywhere and I'm not sure what I should bring with me, so can I have some advice from someone who has traveled there or is living there now.
I would say the closest climate in the U.S. to London would be Portland, OR. Maybe a bit less damp, but not by much if you are staying close to the Thames. Seattle in the summer is a lot like it too. Invest in a good umbrella (still called bumbershoots?) that is easy to carry. You can use it for any drizzle in London and shade in southern Italy. A packable windbreaker should suffice in London, as long as you aren't going in the depth of winter. I usually go back in November, so its more of a requirement then, but sometimes you can get a surprise even in summer.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xX2DXx (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2008, 04:39 AM

Thank you MissMissa, Suki, Koaku and TalnSG.
I'm sorry I didn't include my travel date, its from june 23 to july 12 and I also have a map of where I'm going to be walking

Oh by the way my brother said they closed off the very top of the Eiffel Tower to tourist, is this true? and whats the London Eye (well I can look it up on the internet lol).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't include my travel date, its from june 23 to july 12 and I also have a map of where I'm going to be walking

Oh by the way my brother said they closed off the very top of the Eiffel Tower to tourist, is this true? and whats the London Eye (well I can look it up on the internet lol).
When I went, the Eiffel Tower was closed at the very top, they said it was due to maintance I have no idea if its closed all the time, that's just what we were told. Going up 3 quarters of the way is high enough!

This is the London Eye:

It's like a massive permanant Ferris wheel! On a good day you can see all across London, it's really nice ^_^ It takes about 20 minutes to get round

This is the website :

The London Eye - Book online for the best value deals

The queues tend to be long so I suggest getting the fast track ticket, even though it's quite pricey, I wouldn't want to waste time queuing for things.

Last edited by MissMisa : 05-28-2008 at 11:33 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2008, 11:41 AM

That is spetacular MissMisa.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:

When you say "walking", do you really mean WALKING? If so, are you sure 11 days is enough?

For those dates, clothes wise, I recommend t-shirts, 3/4 lengths etc and a one or two winder clothes. From Lyon upwards, the weather is extremely humid. It might not be that hot, but it'll feel very hot, especially in Paris and London/England, but these places are also known to have random weather, so it's very likely that it'll rain at least once during your trip. Lyon southwards is very nice and not so humid (generally), and the closer you get to Rome the hotter it is, but usually not by much.
I've been to Milan, Nice, Lyon, Venice in May, and it was ridiculously hot. Having lots of people around doesn't help either. So I assume June will be even hotter and July will be roughly the same as May, though you're in early July, so it's probably the hottest time of the year. Paris, London, Pourtsmouth, Southhampton all have similar weather but in Paris and London, it seems more humid in my experience... again, it probably has something to do with the number of people and perhaps the number of buildings...

So overall, take lots of summer clothes, and one or two winter clothes... Whenever I travel in Europe at this kind of time, I always just take summer clothes, one coat and a pair of jeans... Umbrella's are cheap everywhere, so no need to bring one yourself.

I wish my camera could take pics of the London Eye like that... I still havn't figured out how to keep my lense open, in fact, I don't even know if it can. lol