JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the US election if you could?
John McCain (right/Republican) 27 23.68%
Barrack Obama (left/Democrat) 80 70.18%
Other (please do tell) 7 6.14%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#411 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanOtakuLee View Post
and mccain will get all the money he needs when we know for sure who the dnc nominee will be
anyway its pointless to discuss this anymore
Just look at this forum. All the lefties love Obama and all the righties don't like either McCain or Obama.

The same is true in his own home state of Arizona.

He's not broke, but he needs all the free press he can get. That's what his request for 10 (TEN!!!) additional televised debates was about.
(#412 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2008, 02:35 AM

No, his request for fireside chats, not debates, was a ruse. He knows that Obama is a great speaker when he sticks to the script. but when flying solo, he yammers and stammers worse that Pres. Bush. Mccain has been at this a long time, he knows that would be Obama's week point. but if Obama refuses to join more civilized, fireside chat type of debates, then he lokos bad for refusing to usher in a kinder generation of campaigning.
(#413 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-15-2008, 03:56 AM

McCain off script is a nightmare. His staff cringes when he goes it on his own. Have you seen the get-up they have for him. Three of those see-thru teleprompters and then TVs in the back of the room with his speeches on them.

Obama didn't say he wouldn't debate, but we don't need a debate every two weeks until November. I will happily watch the debates they are going to have, but I am not going to watch a dozen 90minute debates. There is no point.

McCain knew Obama wouldn't agree to that. Who would? But then he spins it like Obama is playing chicken. Straight-talk express, huh?
(#414 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2008, 04:26 AM

I guess the deal is, that they would even travel together for the events as a show of united american civility. Of course, Mac knew Obi wan Obama would not go. It was just a ploy. But you know, it might have worked. Throw the other guy on the defensive like Obama did to Hillary.
(#415 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-15-2008, 04:37 AM

Travel together? I think that's a terrible idea. I would lose respect for both of them if they did a tour together.
(#416 (permalink))
Old
Senshi (Offline)
New to JF

06-15-2008, 04:40 AM

I'm an independent voter, so I chose 'other', but I support Obama. I can only remember a few presidents clearly, and I refuse to support someone who supports many of the current policies. I'd prefer to not vote than do that.
(#417 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I am not a big fan of not voting. It's the best way to get your voice not heard, as you send the same message as people who don't care. Voting for Mickey Mouse has more meaning.
(#418 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Oh, in case people didn't keep up. Despite what Dick Cheney and George Will said, China is not drilling for oil 60 miles off the coast of Florida

The appearance, then disappearance, of Red Chinese oil platforms on the Florida coast | Political Insider | ajc.com

This is from the Miami Herald:

”Reports to the contrary are simply false,” Martinez said…“They are akin to urban legends. China drilling off the coast of Cuba only 60 miles from the Keys, that is not taking place… Any talk of using some fabricated Cuba-China connection as an argument to change U.S. policy has no merit.”

But only minutes later, in front of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Vice President Dick Cheney jumped in with more gasoline for the fire, or at least unrefined light crude:

“Oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida. But we’re not doing it. The Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply.”

Several other Republicans immediately picked up the vice president’s message, including U.S. Rep. John Linder, who wrote this for Tuesday’s editions of the Gwinnett Post:

”Floridians oppose drilling 125 miles off shore for fear of a spill harming their beaches. However, China is drilling 50 miles from Key West on behalf of Cuba, which will then sell the oil to China. Why do we want them to have oil we could have?”

— But also on Tuesday, the following correction appeared at the tail end of a George Will column:

In a previous column, I stated that China, in partnership with Cuba, is drilling for oil 60 miles from the Florida coast. While Cuba has partnered with Chinese companies to drill in the Florida Straits, no Chinese company has been involved in Cuba’s oil exploration that close to the United States.

Cheney’s office, citing the error in the Wills column, had already issued a retraction of the vice president’s statement late last week. “It is our understanding that, although Cuba has leased out exploration blocks 60 miles off the coast of southern Florida, which is closer than American firms are allowed to operate in that area, no Chinese firm is drilling there,” Cheney’s office told the AP.
(#419 (permalink))
Old
ultradust (Offline)
New to JF

03-06-2009, 01:36 AM

I was part of the massive Philippine layoff of Jan 15 - around 1000 employees of 2 large US companies lost their jobs in a single day. There was even talk of a local outsourcing company who simply shutdown unannounced. There was crying in the city at that time --good thing I had internet income running 2 months before --so I really wasn't worried like the rest who had to contend with a new larger job market looking for scarce jobs. 1000 people may be small compared to the US - but this is the first time this has happened to the Philippines!

In the meetings of the "fired people, I felt I had to extend a hand and said "Why don't they visit my website - The UltraLife of Jomar Hilario - I teach a free three month lesson via email on how to create income using blogs." Though I was shy at first, I think they really needed to know that there options out there. Specially now. I extend the same invite to you. Once your anger or disbelief is over. Signup to my blog and start learning the step by step lessons that enabled me to smile when things are grim.