JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Global Food Crisis. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/16867-global-food-crisis.html)

ivi0nk3y 07-02-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJapanChannel (Post 526819)
This must be the most polite forum i have ever read!!
Is everyone here always like this?
or do they delete the usual rude forum trolls?

I'm rude to annoying people :)
But yea the threads usually get deleted if they are of a stupid nature or have become a war zone.

Hip 07-02-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 526113)
In Hong Kong there is 16,500 people per square kilometer. That is 1.65 people per meter (they live in massive high rise apartments).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/5...2d094ff8_o.jpg

It goes without saying, the world is over populated, and shows no sign of population slowing.

Food cost is rising and the impact falls mostly on the poor.

Clearing forests for new farming land has extended enviromental impact, and is unsustainable as a solution. Simply, we are running out of forests.

Somethings gotta give, what will it be?

O.o I dont know what that's all about but I read somewhere that in China you are legally only suppose to have one son or daughter(right now) due to the fear of overpopulating the country any more than it currently is.

And because of this "law" it left many families upset and fleeing the country after that huge earthquare which killed thousandsssssss of people. Half of which were children of those single family homes..Which ultimately left those families childless and heartbroken.

Quote:

Hm well.. China already have their rules against over child bearing. I doubt learning to adopt will help anymore in that place.
Exactly

Hisuwashi 07-02-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 526237)
Learning to adopt and being a little more green friendly.

Also, there's plenty of land on earth that's not forest and it's perfect for farming.
Being friendly with countries that have such supply wouldn't hurt them.
It's amazing all the untouched real estate land you see when you drive around here.
It could easily be given up and used for more useful things, other then new malls.

Actually it would be very difficult to attempt any agriculture on that land.

chenli 07-02-2008 05:05 PM

Encourage adoption over child bearing, reduce meat consumption, blah blah blah.

Nathan 07-02-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hisuwashi (Post 526904)
Actually it would be very difficult to attempt any agriculture on that land.

Yeah, a lot of the so-called available land is infertile or unsuitable for cultivation. Take the Canadian Shield for example

EveV 07-02-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 527000)
Yeah, a lot of the so-called available land is infertile or unsuitable for cultivation. Take the Canadian Shield for example

I'm talking about the south which is completely different.
I've watched this place go from forest, to country, to city.
They build house after house store after store.
This land could be used for farming and theres TONS of it.
I know this for a fact because many people here bought themselves a few acres and use it for their private gardens. Full of tons of healthy fruits and vegetables.

You people have really lost your sense of size if you can't see that.

If we all put down our barriers and stopped saying " This land is mine" and actually attempted to take care of one another then China would have no worries butttt that's very unlikely to happen.

Cyasarin 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

I think it's all up to nature. If people are meant to stay here, they'll find a way. Human's are intelligent whether you know anyone who is or not. If we're not meant to, then we'll just die. I believe in the whole "there's a reason for everything" idea. If humans aren't needed on the planet anymore, we'll go extinct. Maybe it's better for the environment if the human population is decreased.

ivi0nk3y 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 527025)
I'm talking about the south which is completely different.
I've watched this place go from forest, to country, to city.
They build house after house store after store.
This land could be used for farming and theres TONS of it.
I know this for a fact because many people here bought themselves a few acres and use it for their private gardens. Full of tons of healthy fruits and vegetables.

You people have really lost your sense of size if you can't see that.

If we all put down our barriers and stopped saying " This land is mine" and actually attempted to take care of one another then China would have no worries butttt that's very unlikely to happen.

Well its true that people chop down a lot of trees to make way for their own use, especially for the "Rubber" industry.

Amnell 07-02-2008 07:37 PM

Some of the price inflation of food stuffs can be attributed to rising gas prices. The cost of shipping food overseas or by truck has gone up--even supplemented by Ethanol, which is more expensive to refine in the first place and places undue pressure on the corn industry, which in turn pressures dairy, beef/pork/poultry, and pretty much any other industry that has any reliance on corn at all, which further inflates prices.

Best way to help (not 'solve', notice) the problem of food prices is to go down to Saudi Arabia and kick some of those oil-hording butts back into line, if ya ask me >_< . Better yet, allow American companies to drill in Texas and Alaska!

Even better than that, having a "closed circuit" for goods manufacture and disposal would make a lot of things a lot cheaper. I'm talking about recycling. Not that recycling is free... But it should save some money, yeah?

TalnSG 07-02-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 527068)
Best way to help (not 'solve', notice) the problem of food prices is to go down to Saudi Arabia and kick some of those oil-hording butts back into line, if ya ask me >_< . Better yet, allow American companies to drill in Texas and Alaska!

I don't entirely disagree with you, but let me guess. You don't live in Texas or Alaska, do you? Why don't we drill for oil in Ohio? They have an even larger reserve underneath their land, but successfully killed any drilling as far back as at least the early 1960's.

How about we stopped spiking every food product out of American factories with "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Its not needed, and its slowly killing people with empty calories. Besides it destroyed the flavor of those thing that really benefitted from being made with cane sugar, which we now pay southern farmers not to produce.