JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
karateka (Offline)
The Samurai Usagi Yojimbo

Location: somewhere wishing i was in the land of the rising sun
Bonsai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 07-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Who has a bonsai tree and if you do please post the name of the bonsai mine is a chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia)

the karateka has spoken....

attending member of the yudansha kobujitsu karate-doh fedaration for four years and counting.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
MiyagiShiori (Offline)
Baka #47

07-09-2008, 11:25 PM

I have a bonsai, i don't know what type it is though.
heck i didn't even know that there were different types of bonsai. i thought they were all the same. obviously not.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them.
You don't know how lovely you really are...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

09-30-2010, 05:43 PM

for all the bonsai lovers, a bonsai calligraphy.

I wrote it for my friend's wife who is a bonsai nut case

(#4 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Haha I have 2, an appletree and a chestnut tree xD
But they´re only 5 years old so it doesn´t really count as a bonsai yet I think
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rakutenka (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-23-2010, 10:07 PM

.......I don't have one...

But I like them x3 !!

yeah, BONNSAIII !!
*bonsai-party*
*gives cookies to everyonE*

greetz~
Raku,.

Prussia is like a new cardigan: scrapes a bit but keeps you warm.

Each man to his own.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2010, 10:03 PM

there must be tremendous skill in training Bonsai tree to grow in a certain way and be miniaturised.

Bonsai Tree Care - Learn How to Grow, Prune, and Care for Bonsai Trees

Gallery - Herons Bonsai

i imagine it must be a worthwhile hobby if one takes it seriously.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
for all the bonsai lovers, a bonsai calligraphy.

I wrote it for my friend's wife who is a bonsai nut case

Those are beautiful ones, especially the first syllable.
-----------

I'm not truly an expert on this subject, but I've noticed that people(who made posts) here probably know less than me about the subject bonsai. So I shall participate with my knowledge. My sources are my father who is a bonsai nut case too and have tremendous amount of trees in pots which were made by his own hands(his a ceramist) -not every one of them are considered as bonsai though, even if the title only means 'plant in a pot'-or something(?) The other source would be my experience(20+ years under one roof with my father and the many event in which I have participated).
Originally I looked through the threads to seek more knowledge and still hope, that I can meet one Japanese Bonsai master to ask a few things but till than... I'll try to save as many trees as I can.
---
The name of a bonsai not only depends on what kind of tree it is, it's actually has a few other criteria. There are special kind of shapes and forms to grow, the actual size is determinative too (it can be miniature and huge->The world's biggest bonsai | Flickr - Photo Sharing!, and many other thing counts when you give a name to it...but you can just call it whatever you want.
It's not exactly a shrinking process, though needs a lot of afford to keep it's size without killing it... You must take care almost everything around it, and the care-taking can't be generalized! It depends on what you have and in which state of developing and forming.

So it's very complicated and demands lots of time and patience and practice as well. If you already have one I'd suggest to join a bonsai club which available in person because that is how you'll learn the most.

Last edited by File0 : 11-20-2010 at 08:22 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-20-2010, 10:24 PM

thankyou very much for your post.

One thing that has always worried me about BONSAI is that a human being dictates how a tree develops. Is it cruel to the tree?

I am uncertain about your photos. Which are the Bonsai?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Vinnythefox (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Vinnythefox Send a message via Skype™ to Vinnythefox
11-21-2010, 04:50 AM

It has been proven that tree's have no emotion, so it is not cruel. It could be argued that is against nature's course, but since it has no definitive effect on the environment or planet, I'm sure there is no problem.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
thankyou very much for your post.

One thing that has always worried me about BONSAI is that a human being dictates how a tree develops. Is it cruel to the tree?

I am uncertain about your photos. Which are the Bonsai?
Sorry for that link, I didn't check if it was ok. I'll try to upload it.

Nature does the same to the trees, it seems in many case, that it's cruel, and I assume it really can be, for example in under the process of making a djinn/dinn.That white thing was very probably made by the owner of the tree. I've seen it a several time, and I'll never get used to it, practically a part of the tree's top level has been striped off.
On the other hand bonsai methods can be used in bigger context, to save an old fruit tree, you have to renew it by cutting back all the branch, the tree will grow new ones.
In Japan there is a bonsai which has data from the 17th century(means it can be older), it is part of the National Treasures of Japan. If it was so cruel to keep it that way, than I think the tree wouldn't survive.
But even if you assume, that every living(or even the not living) creatures response to their surrounding, I must say it's less cruel than having a big dog inside in a little flat, even if you walk it twice every day. So it depends on how you look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biggestbonsaijapan.jpg (133.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.3 KB, 33 views)