LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Did the person scratch his head and ask what you meant?
Why can't I ever write understandable Japanese?

What I tried to say was:

"I've always wanted to go to Japan! This is a VERY special occasion!!"

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Why can't I ever write understandable Japanese?

What I tried to say was:

"I've always wanted to go to Japan! This is a VERY special occasion!!"
That's more like; ずっと、日本に来たいと思っていたんです。

You can't put 〜たい and ました because it doesn't make sense. たい doesn't act a verb and has it's own conjugation. You should also use 来るif you are IN Japan, because you can't 'go' somewhere if you're already there, or else use a verb like 'visit' or 'travel in' etc.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-27-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
I would say weird, because it's a Japanese thing. It's not like Western clothing, where everyone wears that. You may be viewed as "trying to be Japanese", but who am I to say? I'm not Japanese.
so Japanese people wearing western clothes is OK, but westerners wearing Japanese ones is not? Oh the irony.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-27-2011 at 02:37 AM.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2011, 03:55 AM

A lot of Japanese people actually think it's cute when westerners wear Japanese clothes.
Some may find that attitude condescending, but it's better than them being offended or thinking you're a whacko.
I personally never have had the urge to don a yukata and walk around the streets though.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Kakashi (Offline)
おやすみなさい

07-27-2011, 04:58 AM

It depends on where you are. In the U.S (at least where I am), people seem confused, and you'll undoubtedly get some odd looks. I once went into a hastings late at night after a cosplay event wearing a yukata where I overheard this blond idiot with her Texan husband seemingly appalled by my dress.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."
-Shel Silverstein

"Who told me dragons did not exist,
then led me to their lairs
...one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo's nest."
(#96 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2011, 12:56 AM

...and on your death bed as your mind drifts back to all the harmless, fun, and eccentric things you did not do due to fearing the anonymous masses of people (who never wanted anything to do with you in the first place) and the possibility that some might disapprove...will you think "I wish I could change that."

Probably not! Although, you might remember the harmless, fun, and eccentric things you DID do....I don't know .. I'll log on when I'm on my death bed, because I'll undoubtedly be near a computer, so I'll let you know what's running through my mind.

Point: Live on Kenshin...so you can use your amakakeru ryu no hirameki as ... :dieing breath: you please.