(#11 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
If you're in a hotel or hot spring (or a hotel with a hot spring ) it's fine. That's the thing to do. But It would be goofy as s*** to walk around a festival or on the street wearing one. It looks like you're trying too hard, or are really romantic and loony.
It would be goofy to walk around a festival with a yukata?!
That is the most common use of the yukata, is at festivals.
Why would you get all dressed up for the spa, when you should get undressed after getting there?!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocka83 View Post
It would be goofy to walk around a festival with a yukata?!
That is the most common use of the yukata, is at festivals.
Why would you get all dressed up for the spa, when you should get undressed after getting there?!
Wearing a hotel or inn yukata is not getting all dressed up. They are cheaper and more simple. they are for relaxing, you know, on vacation at a hot spring resort and drinking bear around the hotel and visiting the spa. It's easier to wear theses simple yukata that regular clothes because you don't have as much on and the obi are super simple and light. I just think it's goofy for a gai-jin to wear one out to a festival, I know it's common for J-folk, but. Miost of the folk I knew in Japan agree, and they are the one's you want to impress in order to ingratiate yourself and not look like a hennagaijin.

But, I must confess, that at home I always wear samue fuku. They are like pajamas with a top like a light gee and matching pants.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2008, 03:20 AM

Personally, I don't wear tradtional Japanese clothes unless I absolutely have to.

A few years ago I saw a gaijin getting on a plane at the airport in one of those triangle shaped hats, yukata and wooden geta. He looked like a doofus.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Personally, I don't wear tradtional Japanese clothes unless I absolutely have to.

A few years ago I saw a gaijin getting on a plane at the airport in one of those triangle shaped hats, yukata and wooden geta. He looked like a doofus.
Yeah, one time on Japanese TV there was some guy who came to Japan because he beleived samurai still existed. He walked around everywhere in public in a kimono on a typical day. Doofas! Oh my God, please don't let people think i'm like that too, was what came to mind.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

07-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Wearing a hotel or inn yukata is not getting all dressed up. They are cheaper and more simple. they are for relaxing, you know, on vacation at a hot spring resort and drinking bear around the hotel and visiting the spa. It's easier to wear theses simple yukata that regular clothes because you don't have as much on and the obi are super simple and light. I just think it's goofy for a gai-jin to wear one out to a festival, I know it's common for J-folk, but. Miost of the folk I knew in Japan agree, and they are the one's you want to impress in order to ingratiate yourself and not look like a hennagaijin.

But, I must confess, that at home I always wear samue fuku. They are like pajamas with a top like a light gee and matching pants.
Jeans and T-shirts are simple. Dawning a yukata is much more of a hassle.
There is nothing wrong with a Guijin wearing a yukata or any type of traditional clothing. Any Japanese person who thinks it is henna to for a guijin to ware a yukata, is a henna-nihonjin.

Now if you are talking about the less caussual jim-be, I stand corrected. Jim-be's are only two piece, and much simple to ware. Kinda of like the traditional jeans and t-shirt. Usually Spa's give there geaust a Jim-be and slippers for waring inside the spa.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
07-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Not that I'm sexist, but I think foreign girls get away with it easier than boys do. xD;

I'm wearing Yukata next week, since we have japanese Obon festival in the buddhist temple downtown.
I can't wait. I wore one before for halloween, but I was being dead person, so I didn't wear it properly xD;

I can't wait. <3

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

07-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Not that I'm sexist, but I think foreign girls get away with it easier than boys do. xD;

I'm wearing Yukata next week, since we have japanese Obon festival in the buddhist temple downtown.
I can't wait. I wore one before for halloween, but I was being dead person, so I didn't wear it properly xD;

I can't wait. <3
Girls get away with anything better . I usaully wear my jim-be and doraimon sweat towel, and get alot of compliments... Kakuii......
(#18 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

07-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
If you ask me, people should wear the clothes of their home culture, yet that don't explain why all Asians wear western clothes now... So if anyone (Japanese) gives you beef about cultural retardation just throw it back at em that they are wearing western clothes (which 99.9% of the time they are)...
Well said..
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocka83 View Post
Jeans and T-shirts are simple. Dawning a yukata is much more of a hassle.
There is nothing wrong with a Guijin wearing a yukata or any type of traditional clothing. Any Japanese person who thinks it is henna to for a guijin to ware a yukata, is a henna-nihonjin.

Now if you are talking about the less caussual jim-be, I stand corrected. Jim-be's are only two piece, and much simple to ware. Kinda of like the traditional jeans and t-shirt. Usually Spa's give there geaust a Jim-be and slippers for waring inside the spa.
Obviously you don't know shit about hotel yukata or never wore one.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
If you ask me, people should wear the clothes of their home culture, yet that don't explain why all Asians wear western clothes now... So if anyone (Japanese) gives you beef about cultural retardation just throw it back at em that they are wearing western clothes (which 99.9% of the time they are)...
Because kimono are a pain in the but. Most people couldn't put one on by themselves because they don't know how.