JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Gaijin wearing yukata?? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/16990-gaijin-wearing-yukata.html)

SummerinTokyo 07-06-2008 11:02 AM

Gaijin wearing yukata??

Hi everybody,

just wanted to hear your guys` opinion on gaijin wearing yukata. Do you think it is kakko ii or kind of weird? The reason why I am asking, I couldn`t resist buying a lovely yukata at

Kinomo Yukata Market sakura 日本の浴衣、着物の販売専門店

It was actually much cheaper than I expected, considering what kind of horror stories can be heard about the prices of kimono...

But anyway, do you think I can leave the house wearing a yukata? Someone please encourage me! ;)

allie2590 07-06-2008 11:16 AM

I would say weird, because it's a Japanese thing. It's not like Western clothing, where everyone wears that. You may be viewed as "trying to be Japanese", but who am I to say? I'm not Japanese.

Nagoyankee 07-06-2008 11:19 AM

My opinion is that almost anyone looks good wearing yukata as long as they have selected the ones in good taste and they wear them properly.

The most common mistake that I've seen in the way non-Japanese wear yukata (or kimono) is where females wrap the left side of the yukata over the body and then overlap it with the right side. In Japan, that's how they dress corpses! So for both men and women, the proper order is first right side and then left side.

jrocka83 07-06-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerinTokyo (Post 529256)
Hi everybody,

just wanted to hear your guys` opinion on gaijin wearing yukata. Do you think it is kakko ii or kind of weird? The reason why I am asking, I couldn`t resist buying a lovely yukata at

Kinomo Yukata Market sakura 日本の浴衣、着物の販売専門店

It was actually much cheaper than I expected, considering what kind of horror stories can be heard about the prices of kimono...

But anyway, do you think I can leave the house wearing a yukata? Someone please encourage me! ;)

I don't think there is anything wrong with a yukata or kimono, being worn by a foriegner. I ware a Jinbei (Mens Yukata) sometimes. It is a compliment to Japanese Culture to ware.

Yukata's are used for festivals, parties, and girls coming of age day (20 years old)

Kimono's are used for very formal events like weddings, dinner balls, and funerals.

If you ware one, you should learn how to ware it correctly or you will be a baka-jin(stupid person).
Most importantly, where it left over right.! If you where it the opposite way, that means you are dead. Japanese ware the Kimono right over left when they are dead.

jrocka83 07-06-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 529283)
I don't think there is anything wrong with a yukata or kimono, being worn by a foriegner. I ware a Jinbei (Mens Yukata) sometimes. It is a compliment to Japanese Culture to ware.

Yukata's are used for festivals, parties, and girls coming of age day (20 years old)

Kimono's are used for very formal events like weddings, dinner balls, and funerals.

If you ware one, you should learn how to ware it correctly or you will be a baka-jin(stupid person).
Most importantly, where it left over right.! If you where it the opposite way, that means you are dead. Japanese ware the Kimono right over left when they are dead.

Also, they have a foriegner class kimo competition every year in tokyo. My buddy just won second place. He looks damn good. Its to bad the foriegners cant compete against the nationals, Japanese don't want to get there ass kicked in there own tradition.:mtongue:

Sasebo sailor shows his kimono know-how | Stars and Stripes

Paul11 07-06-2008 01:37 PM

If you're in a hotel or hot spring (or a hotel with a hot spring :cool: ) it's fine. That's the thing to do. But It would be goofy as s*** to walk around a festival or on the street wearing one. It looks like you're trying too hard, or are really romantic and loony.

TalnSG 07-06-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allie2590 (Post 529266)
I would say weird, because it's a Japanese thing. It's not like Western clothing, where everyone wears that. You may be viewed as "trying to be Japanese", but who am I to say? I'm not Japanese.

While I agree that many gajiin look really odd wearing traditional Japanese clothing, and often because they have put it on wrong like Nagoyankee mentioned, or chosen the wrong style for the occasion, I think it is their choice.

Just as it was the ground-breaking Japanese who first dared to dress in western clothes decades ago. And some of the reasons they first crossed that cultural barrier were the same. Either they wanted to try to fit in more, or they wanted to rebel against their own community, or they just happend to really like the style.

I have been wearing yukata and haori for about 30 years. I rarely wear yukatas or my kimonos outside the house (it would be a bit strange in Texas), and usually I don't wear them belted as they shoud be, unless I am entertaining guests.

But I have worn one of my haori even to work. I am seriously considering expanding my selection of haori so that I can replace all my suit coats. I often need to wear jackets to work because the dress code requires me wear sleeves, but they are uncomfortable in 100 degree weather. The construction of the haori is far more suitable for the climate, and the appearance is one I prefer to western lines anyway.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 07-06-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 529271)
My opinion is that almost anyone looks good wearing yukata as long as they have selected the ones in good taste and they wear them properly.

The most common mistake that I've seen in the way non-Japanese wear yukata (or kimono) is where females wrap the left side of the yukata over the body and then overlap it with the right side. In Japan, that's how they dress corpses! So for both men and women, the proper order is first right side and then left side.

That's how they dress corpses? Is there any sort of significance as to why the yukata/kimono is wrapped in such a way?

allie2590 07-06-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 529427)
While I agree that many gajiin look really odd wearing traditional Japanese clothing, and often because they have put it on wrong like Nagoyankee mentioned, or chosen the wrong style for the occasion, I think it is their choice.

Just as it was the ground-breaking Japanese who first dared to dress in western clothes decades ago. And some of the reasons they first crossed that cultural barrier were the same. Either they wanted to try to fit in more, or they wanted to rebel against their own community, or they just happend to really like the style.

I have been wearing yukata and haori for about 30 years. I rarely wear yukatas or my kimonos outside the house (it would be a bit strange in Texas), and usually I don't wear them belted as they shoud be, unless I am entertaining guests.

But I have worn one of my haori even to work. I am seriously considering expanding my selection of haori so that I can replace all my suit coats. I often need to wear jackets to work because the dress code requires me wear sleeves, but they are uncomfortable in 100 degree weather. The construction of the haori is far more suitable for the climate, and the appearance is one I prefer to western lines anyway.

Ah, that's true.

Fire_Girl625 07-06-2008 04:51 PM

It won't look weird. Of course, if your curvy, you may want to wrap towls around your waist to minimize the difference. Kimono and Yukata tend to look beter on people who lack large breasts and curves.

jrocka83 07-06-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 529412)
If you're in a hotel or hot spring (or a hotel with a hot spring :cool: ) it's fine. That's the thing to do. But It would be goofy as s*** to walk around a festival or on the street wearing one. It looks like you're trying too hard, or are really romantic and loony.

It would be goofy to walk around a festival with a yukata?!
That is the most common use of the yukata, is at festivals.
Why would you get all dressed up for the spa, when you should get undressed after getting there?!

Paul11 07-07-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 529627)
It would be goofy to walk around a festival with a yukata?!
That is the most common use of the yukata, is at festivals.
Why would you get all dressed up for the spa, when you should get undressed after getting there?!

Wearing a hotel or inn yukata is not getting all dressed up. They are cheaper and more simple. they are for relaxing, you know, on vacation at a hot spring resort and drinking bear around the hotel and visiting the spa. It's easier to wear theses simple yukata that regular clothes because you don't have as much on and the obi are super simple and light. I just think it's goofy for a gai-jin to wear one out to a festival, I know it's common for J-folk, but. Miost of the folk I knew in Japan agree, and they are the one's you want to impress in order to ingratiate yourself and not look like a hennagaijin.

But, I must confess, that at home I always wear samue fuku. They are like pajamas with a top like a light gee and matching pants.

MMM 07-07-2008 03:20 AM

Personally, I don't wear tradtional Japanese clothes unless I absolutely have to.

A few years ago I saw a gaijin getting on a plane at the airport in one of those triangle shaped hats, yukata and wooden geta. He looked like a doofus.

Paul11 07-07-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 529763)
Personally, I don't wear tradtional Japanese clothes unless I absolutely have to.

A few years ago I saw a gaijin getting on a plane at the airport in one of those triangle shaped hats, yukata and wooden geta. He looked like a doofus.

Yeah, one time on Japanese TV there was some guy who came to Japan because he beleived samurai still existed. He walked around everywhere in public in a kimono on a typical day. Doofas! Oh my God, please don't let people think i'm like that too, was what came to mind.

jrocka83 07-07-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 529748)
Wearing a hotel or inn yukata is not getting all dressed up. They are cheaper and more simple. they are for relaxing, you know, on vacation at a hot spring resort and drinking bear around the hotel and visiting the spa. It's easier to wear theses simple yukata that regular clothes because you don't have as much on and the obi are super simple and light. I just think it's goofy for a gai-jin to wear one out to a festival, I know it's common for J-folk, but. Miost of the folk I knew in Japan agree, and they are the one's you want to impress in order to ingratiate yourself and not look like a hennagaijin.

But, I must confess, that at home I always wear samue fuku. They are like pajamas with a top like a light gee and matching pants.

Jeans and T-shirts are simple. Dawning a yukata is much more of a hassle.
There is nothing wrong with a Guijin wearing a yukata or any type of traditional clothing. Any Japanese person who thinks it is henna to for a guijin to ware a yukata, is a henna-nihonjin.

Now if you are talking about the less caussual jim-be, I stand corrected. Jim-be's are only two piece, and much simple to ware. Kinda of like the traditional jeans and t-shirt. Usually Spa's give there geaust a Jim-be and slippers for waring inside the spa.

Kayci 07-07-2008 12:28 PM

Not that I'm sexist, but I think foreign girls get away with it easier than boys do. xD;

I'm wearing Yukata next week, since we have japanese Obon festival in the buddhist temple downtown.
I can't wait. I wore one before for halloween, but I was being dead person, so I didn't wear it properly xD;

I can't wait. <3

jrocka83 07-07-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 530021)
Not that I'm sexist, but I think foreign girls get away with it easier than boys do. xD;

I'm wearing Yukata next week, since we have japanese Obon festival in the buddhist temple downtown.
I can't wait. I wore one before for halloween, but I was being dead person, so I didn't wear it properly xD;

I can't wait. <3

Girls get away with anything better:D . I usaully wear my jim-be and doraimon sweat towel, and get alot of compliments... Kakuii......:mtongue:

jrocka83 07-07-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 530036)
If you ask me, people should wear the clothes of their home culture, yet that don't explain why all Asians wear western clothes now... So if anyone (Japanese) gives you beef about cultural retardation just throw it back at em that they are wearing western clothes (which 99.9% of the time they are)...

Well said.. ;)

Paul11 07-07-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530013)
Jeans and T-shirts are simple. Dawning a yukata is much more of a hassle.
There is nothing wrong with a Guijin wearing a yukata or any type of traditional clothing. Any Japanese person who thinks it is henna to for a guijin to ware a yukata, is a henna-nihonjin.

Now if you are talking about the less caussual jim-be, I stand corrected. Jim-be's are only two piece, and much simple to ware. Kinda of like the traditional jeans and t-shirt. Usually Spa's give there geaust a Jim-be and slippers for waring inside the spa.

Obviously you don't know shit about hotel yukata or never wore one.

Paul11 07-07-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 530036)
If you ask me, people should wear the clothes of their home culture, yet that don't explain why all Asians wear western clothes now... So if anyone (Japanese) gives you beef about cultural retardation just throw it back at em that they are wearing western clothes (which 99.9% of the time they are)...

Because kimono are a pain in the but. Most people couldn't put one on by themselves because they don't know how.

jrocka83 07-07-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530065)

1. Actually, I do. I own a yukata and a Kimono.

2. Don't throw weasel remarks at me. I will smash you.

3. My argument is in the context of guijin wearing yukata in general, not hotels:cool:.

:vsign:

Kayci 07-07-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530065)

He's in Okinawa. You're in California now.
Hmmm
I'd take the advice of one who is in japan CURRENTLY XD;

Paul11 07-07-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 530087)
Hmmm

I lived in Japan for years and visit regularly and live in a bilingual family. Duh!

Paul11 07-07-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530072)
2. Don't throw weasel remarks at me. I will smash you.:vsign:

How can you do that from 3000 miles away, big guy?

Kayci 07-07-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530095)
I lived in Japan for years and visit regularly and live in a bilingual family. Duh!

Hmm.
Oh...excuse me. I think I misunderstood, actually.
My bad.
But still, don't underestimate the knowledge of one who is there, CURRENTLY.
You may have been there, but really...
then again, I think Jrock isn't nihonjin himself.
So I'll go with the word of Nagoya himself xD

jrocka83 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530097)
How can you do that from 3000 miles away, big guy?

I visit Cali regularly. Also, I am 6,424 miles away:D .

TalnSG 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 530087)
Hmmm

I understand your logic, but it has a flaw or two.
You don't know that JRock is a Okinawan. There are many gaiijin living there because of the U.S. military, so he may or may not be a valid source. Nor do you know whether Paul is a native Californian or a Japanese in California on a visa. But aside from these two faulty assumptions, I personally would take the recommendation of whichever poster displayed more rational discourse instead of idle threats of violence toward differing opinions.

And then there is the whole issue of whether we are discussing an Okinawan tradition/custom that is actually different from mainland Japan. You are aware they are not always the same?

Kayci 07-07-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 530103)
You don't know that JRock is a Okinawan. There are many gaiijin living there because of the U.S. military, so he may or may not be a valid source. Nor do you know whether Paul is a native Californian or a Japanese in California on a visa. But aside from these two faulty assumptions, I personally would take the recommendation of whichever poster displayed more rational discourse instead of idle threats of violence toward differing opinions.

And then there is the whole issue of whether we are discussing an Okinawan tradition/custom that is actually different from mainland Japan. You are aware they are not always the same?

Yeah, I thought about it...I was all "wait, Ryukyu = main japan = chigau..."
I wasn't thinking as I typed. It happens. xD; Sorry

Kayci 07-07-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530102)
I visit Cali regularly. Also, I am 6,424 miles away:D .

children, children...play nice.

jrocka83 07-07-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 530103)

I am basing my knowledge off of mainland Japan tradition. My wife is Mainland Japanese and I lived there for 4 years. I have only been in Okinawa for 1 1/2 years. Also, before I post anything related to Japan, I verify with my wife to ensure I am correct.

TalnSG 07-07-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530114)
I am basing my knowledge off of mainland Japan tradition. My wife is Mainland Japanese and I lived there for 4 years. I have only been in Okinawa for 1 1/2 years. Also, before I post anything related to Japan, I verify with my wife to ensure I am correct.

I was not saying you were not a good source, I was pointing out to Kayci that assumptions were being made without fact which is not always wise.

jrocka83 07-07-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 530120)
I was not saying you were not a good source, I was pointing out to Kayci that assumptions were being made without fact which is not always wise.

Its cool dude:) . Just giving you my credentials.

TalnSG 07-07-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 529763)

OMG!
That's worse than just a gaijin, that is a total idiot!

It gives me visions of fabric caught on escalators (cause he didn't get the right length), crashes to the floor when he topples over on the getas trying to hurry to the gate, and other passengers getting poked in the eye by his headwear during boarding. Not to mention that you just know someone that ridiculous didn't even think to make sure the yukata stayed closed when he put his bag in the overhead bin or when he took his seat. I hope he was wearing jeans under the yukata.

Paul11 07-08-2008 03:56 AM

Ok. To be more clear and friendly:

A hotel yukata is most simple because its like a long robe and the obi is more of a long, narrower sash that can be tied simply. Like, not same, as a robe. You get out of a hot spring and are sweaty and hot and it's loose and cool. Jeans,t-shirt arer clingy when wet, tight and take more time to put on is such a situation.

But wear that in the street and I know J-folk will say, "Hen na gaijin." Every Japanese person I know will say that. You don't want to look like a "wierdo or strange gaijin." Especially in a country where most people don't meet foreigners let alone ones that understand them and their culture.

And anyone who can find me in California is welcome to drop by for a drink, some laughs and whatever other trouble they bring.

Sangetsu 07-08-2008 04:59 AM

I've worn a yukata to festivals before, I have 3 of them in my closet. I didn't feel conspicuous or embarrassed, especially compared to some of the wild styles people here wear to festivals. I'm looking forward to hanabi at Asakusa this month, is anyone else going?

Paul11 07-08-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 530658)
I've worn a yukata to festivals before, I have 3 of them in my closet. I didn't feel conspicuous or embarrassed, especially compared to some of the wild styles people here wear to festivals. I'm looking forward to hanabi at Asakusa this month, is anyone else going?

A piture of YOU in yukata would do so much more to further the topic!

jrocka83 07-08-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530627)
Ok. To be more clear and friendly:

A hotel yukata is most simple because its like a long robe and the obi is more of a long, narrower sash that can be tied simply. Like, not same, as a robe. You get out of a hot spring and are sweaty and hot and it's loose and cool. Jeans,t-shirt arer clingy when wet, tight and take more time to put on is such a situation.

But wear that in the street and I know J-folk will say, "Hen na gaijin." Every Japanese person I know will say that. You don't want to look like a "wierdo or strange gaijin." Especially in a country where most people don't meet foreigners let alone ones that understand them and their culture.

And anyone who can find me in California is welcome to drop by for a drink, some laughs and whatever other trouble they bring.

Did I say I would smash you? I think I meant I would be more than happy to get smashed with you:D :rolleyes: . What is your Japanese beverage of choice?

Paul11 07-08-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530685)
Did I say I would smash you? I think I meant I would be more than happy to get smashed with you:D :rolleyes: . What is your Japanese beverage of choice?

I love nihonshu. I would read books on brewing and visit places when possible. Everywhere village or vacation spot I go to I would definitely pick-up the local jizake (local sake or micro-brewery). Visitors always bring the grog for omiyage. Then I had a child and support a family, so I can't afford decent sake.

How about you?

jrocka83 07-08-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 530688)
I love nihonshu. I would read books on brewing and visit places when possible. Everywhere village or vacation spot I go to I would definitely pick-up the local jizake (local sake or micro-brewery). Visitors always bring the grog for omiyage. Then I had a child and support a family, so I can't afford decent sake.

How about you?

I am a big fan of Ebisu. I am also a hot sake fan after meals, but not much of a Connoisseur.

Paul11 07-08-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 530694)
I am a big fan of Ebisu. I am also a hot sake fan after meals, but not much of a Connoisseur.

I'll always choose an american microbrew for a beer, but for Japanese beer I like Sapporo Super Dry. Unfortunately, the japenese beers here are made by companies like Budwieser in America or in Canada. They don't taste nearly as good as the same loabel sold in Japan. Japanese restauraints will sell cnadian brewed Japanes beer as "imported."

Lately Ebisu and Kirin have been on sale in the asian markets for $12 a case.