JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SummerinTokyo (Offline)
New to JF

Gaijin wearing yukata?? - 07-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Hi everybody,

just wanted to hear your guys` opinion on gaijin wearing yukata. Do you think it is kakko ii or kind of weird? The reason why I am asking, I couldn`t resist buying a lovely yukata at

Kinomo Yukata Market sakura 日本の浴衣、着物の販売専門店

It was actually much cheaper than I expected, considering what kind of horror stories can be heard about the prices of kimono...

But anyway, do you think I can leave the house wearing a yukata? Someone please encourage me!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

07-06-2008, 11:16 AM

I would say weird, because it's a Japanese thing. It's not like Western clothing, where everyone wears that. You may be viewed as "trying to be Japanese", but who am I to say? I'm not Japanese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-06-2008, 11:19 AM

My opinion is that almost anyone looks good wearing yukata as long as they have selected the ones in good taste and they wear them properly.

The most common mistake that I've seen in the way non-Japanese wear yukata (or kimono) is where females wrap the left side of the yukata over the body and then overlap it with the right side. In Japan, that's how they dress corpses! So for both men and women, the proper order is first right side and then left side.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerinTokyo View Post
Hi everybody,

just wanted to hear your guys` opinion on gaijin wearing yukata. Do you think it is kakko ii or kind of weird? The reason why I am asking, I couldn`t resist buying a lovely yukata at

Kinomo Yukata Market sakura 日本の浴衣、着物の販売専門店

It was actually much cheaper than I expected, considering what kind of horror stories can be heard about the prices of kimono...

But anyway, do you think I can leave the house wearing a yukata? Someone please encourage me!

I don't think there is anything wrong with a yukata or kimono, being worn by a foriegner. I ware a Jinbei (Mens Yukata) sometimes. It is a compliment to Japanese Culture to ware.

Yukata's are used for festivals, parties, and girls coming of age day (20 years old)

Kimono's are used for very formal events like weddings, dinner balls, and funerals.

If you ware one, you should learn how to ware it correctly or you will be a baka-jin(stupid person).
Most importantly, where it left over right.! If you where it the opposite way, that means you are dead. Japanese ware the Kimono right over left when they are dead.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocka83 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with a yukata or kimono, being worn by a foriegner. I ware a Jinbei (Mens Yukata) sometimes. It is a compliment to Japanese Culture to ware.

Yukata's are used for festivals, parties, and girls coming of age day (20 years old)

Kimono's are used for very formal events like weddings, dinner balls, and funerals.

If you ware one, you should learn how to ware it correctly or you will be a baka-jin(stupid person).
Most importantly, where it left over right.! If you where it the opposite way, that means you are dead. Japanese ware the Kimono right over left when they are dead.
Also, they have a foriegner class kimo competition every year in tokyo. My buddy just won second place. He looks damn good. Its to bad the foriegners cant compete against the nationals, Japanese don't want to get there ass kicked in there own tradition.

Sasebo sailor shows his kimono know-how | Stars and Stripes
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2008, 01:37 PM

If you're in a hotel or hot spring (or a hotel with a hot spring ) it's fine. That's the thing to do. But It would be goofy as s*** to walk around a festival or on the street wearing one. It looks like you're trying too hard, or are really romantic and loony.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
I would say weird, because it's a Japanese thing. It's not like Western clothing, where everyone wears that. You may be viewed as "trying to be Japanese", but who am I to say? I'm not Japanese.
While I agree that many gajiin look really odd wearing traditional Japanese clothing, and often because they have put it on wrong like Nagoyankee mentioned, or chosen the wrong style for the occasion, I think it is their choice.

Just as it was the ground-breaking Japanese who first dared to dress in western clothes decades ago. And some of the reasons they first crossed that cultural barrier were the same. Either they wanted to try to fit in more, or they wanted to rebel against their own community, or they just happend to really like the style.

I have been wearing yukata and haori for about 30 years. I rarely wear yukatas or my kimonos outside the house (it would be a bit strange in Texas), and usually I don't wear them belted as they shoud be, unless I am entertaining guests.

But I have worn one of my haori even to work. I am seriously considering expanding my selection of haori so that I can replace all my suit coats. I often need to wear jackets to work because the dress code requires me wear sleeves, but they are uncomfortable in 100 degree weather. The construction of the haori is far more suitable for the climate, and the appearance is one I prefer to western lines anyway.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
My opinion is that almost anyone looks good wearing yukata as long as they have selected the ones in good taste and they wear them properly.

The most common mistake that I've seen in the way non-Japanese wear yukata (or kimono) is where females wrap the left side of the yukata over the body and then overlap it with the right side. In Japan, that's how they dress corpses! So for both men and women, the proper order is first right side and then left side.
That's how they dress corpses? Is there any sort of significance as to why the yukata/kimono is wrapped in such a way?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

07-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
While I agree that many gajiin look really odd wearing traditional Japanese clothing, and often because they have put it on wrong like Nagoyankee mentioned, or chosen the wrong style for the occasion, I think it is their choice.

Just as it was the ground-breaking Japanese who first dared to dress in western clothes decades ago. And some of the reasons they first crossed that cultural barrier were the same. Either they wanted to try to fit in more, or they wanted to rebel against their own community, or they just happend to really like the style.

I have been wearing yukata and haori for about 30 years. I rarely wear yukatas or my kimonos outside the house (it would be a bit strange in Texas), and usually I don't wear them belted as they shoud be, unless I am entertaining guests.

But I have worn one of my haori even to work. I am seriously considering expanding my selection of haori so that I can replace all my suit coats. I often need to wear jackets to work because the dress code requires me wear sleeves, but they are uncomfortable in 100 degree weather. The construction of the haori is far more suitable for the climate, and the appearance is one I prefer to western lines anyway.
Ah, that's true.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Fire_Girl625 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Fire_Girl625 Send a message via Yahoo to Fire_Girl625
07-06-2008, 04:51 PM

It won't look weird. Of course, if your curvy, you may want to wrap towls around your waist to minimize the difference. Kimono and Yukata tend to look beter on people who lack large breasts and curves.