LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Noodle, I don't have the energy to write much now. But, you have some good points and so does Ronin. My journalism degree and monitoring of american media tells me Ronin is correct. But what he doesn't realize is that the media is extremely liberal in the U.S. and mostly sympathetic to China, except for the Tibet issue.

And Al Jezeera? No disrespect to you, but I trust Al Jezeera as much as I trust an enemy in my back yard., a fox in the hen house AJ has shown its anti-american/violent leanings.
How many degrees do you have?

And, you're intitled to you opinion about AJ, but personally, I like the channel (however, I do not take everything from there as fact, because it's pretty obvoius, like you've noticed, it's pretty anti-american, so there is a great possibility of exaguration... like I said before, all media channels do this, not only westerm). It's not afraid of showing some of the crap that Western countries do.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
How many degrees do you have?

And, you're intitled to you opinion about AJ, but personally, I like the channel (however, I do not take everything from there as fact, because it's pretty obvoius, like you've noticed, it's pretty anti-american, so there is a great possibility of exaguration... like I said before, all media channels do this, not only westerm). It's not afraid of showing some of the crap that Western countries do.
Two, Anthropology and Journalism. Turned down a spot in a grad school for Japanese.

As far as Al J is concerned, would you rely on the "Evangelical Christian Anti-Muslim News Network" for news about north Africa? That's how AJ appears to some of us.

Yeah, U.S. media does it too, but mostly in an anti-american bent, too.

Last edited by Paul11 : 07-23-2008 at 11:39 AM.
(#103 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Two, Anthropology and Journalism. Turned down a spot in a grad school for Japanese.

As far as Al J is concerned, would you rely on the "Evangelical Christian Anti-Muslim News Network" for news about north Africa? That's how AJ appears to some of us.

Yeah, U.S. media does it too, but mostly in an anti-american bent, too.
I'm talking about Al Jazeera English. 95% of the people that work for it don't even know arabic and arn't even muslim. Just go into their station in Doha and you'll see... Those that do speak arabic are usually Lebanese (or thereabouts), and are quiete pro-america.

As for Al Jazeera (in arabic), I'm not a fan of that channel at all. They're more concerned about arabic countries than anything else. So, it's pretty much, if it has nothing to do with middle east, or north africa, it won't even be shown.

Edit; Respect to you for the two degrees. Must've been a lot of hard work.

Last edited by noodle : 07-23-2008 at 12:23 PM.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I'm talking about Al Jazeera English. 95% of the people that work for it don't even know arabic and arn't even muslim. Just go into their station in Doha and you'll see... Those that do speak arabic are usually Lebanese (or thereabouts), and are quiete pro-america.

As for Al Jazeera (in arabic), I'm not a fan of that channel at all. They're more concerned about arabic countries than anything else. So, it's pretty much, if it has nothing to do with middle east, or north africa, it won't even be shown.

Edit; Respect to you for the two degrees. Must've been a lot of hard work.
Thanks for educating us on Al jezeera. Had no idea.

On that last note, thank you. Too bad I don't use 'em.
(#105 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I went back to read Acidreptiles posts and I don't think you read them right. Even if you filter out his rhetoric, the only point he "made" was that "China is rising while the USA is falling". A point that MIGHT have some merit if he cared to explain his reasoning though at best it's arguable. Personally I would argue that the US isn't falling, rather China is catching up to it. China may be an emerging superpower or even a superpower in their own right depending on the definition and the context you use that term (though in general I refer to it as an emerging superpower), but the best guesses are that it will be at least 50 years untill China can seriously challenge the United States world's sole hyperpower status.
The way he writes his stuff isn't the most palatable way to digest information, I agree However his points in most cases are valid about this issue, even though his opinions are clouded by his own personal feelings. (like the majority of people.)
Yes you're right, China is indeed catching up to America but with all of Americas dabbling in weird affairs, making mistakes, showing its own self interest with blatant disregard of others... its quite easy for China to learn from this and be a better Super Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I find it strange that the Western media is being accused of propaganda. I mean seriously when you look at how the media works in the West you'll find that this is a stretch at best. The Western media is very rarely state owned, and when it is, (the BBC for example) it is not answerable in terms of what it reports rather is run as a state owned enterprise. The only agenda the Western media has is to sell a story. And while I think it capable of exaggeration to sell a story I don't think it capable of fabricating lies. I mean do you really think that ALL the Western media outlets in competition with each other for our attention would have the will or the ability to collaborate with each other to report the SAME lies so that it appears so very real? Are they really ready to risk their integrity which would mean risk losing viewers/readers to the competition? (I mean you see what happens to Fox News. Outside the US it is not a respected media outlet. Heck even in the US it is not relied on by a good percentage of the population.)

Not to mention that the Chinese state owned and operated media are hardly angels. The difference between the two is that China's state media HAS not only a motive, but also the ability to fabricate lies. Do you remember the Olympic torch coverage? The Chinese population were not exposed to the disruptions all over the globe (From Britain to Japan) because the Chinese media did not report it. Instead they told the Chinese people that everything went smoothly. Also why did China BAN foriegn media from Tibet during the riots? What did they have to hide? If there is a serious case of misreporting, then perhaps it is China's fault for not allowing foriegn media in which lead them to rely on second hand information from the many tourists inside Tibet at the time. (Are all the tourists selling the same lie too?)
Fox is an example of blatant propaganda. It caters to viewers who agree with that side of the element, rather than converting them to a Republican way of thought.
The one thing that sets the Western media apart from anywhere else is that they are all ultimately linked.
For me, there are two types of news.
One type shows you its propaganda straight away, leading you straight into the fire so to speak. Fox is classed as this type but to quite an extreme level in that it has typical Republican views. Channel 4 news also reminds me of this sometimes but it caters more to the English persona. I liken it to a Tabloid newspaper where there is little depth to the story, just pure entertainment in a sense, to what their audience "wants".
The second type is the BBC, who take their time and seem to balance their portrayal of whatever propaganda they will ultimately want you to follow. I liken this more to the Broadsheet type of news, which gives the entire depth but ultimately the conclusions are the same as their tabloid counter parts.
Either that or the conclusions that point away from their agenda are forgotten and not reported on as much.
What has this got to do with China?
Well recently i've been seeing an interest in China itself, in terms of the BBC.
They've been showing one or two documentaries, which almost always conclude in an anti-Chinese light. To back those up, the news stories about China always have a certain dark air to them. For example the Chinese Earthquake was dealt with a weird spin. There were shots of para-troopers jumping into the disaster zone to help civillians but at the same time, the reporter didn't seem to highlight any positive points about the efficiency and handling of the situation. Instead, the report made it sound like the Chinese were ultimately doomed. Every report recently to do with China, has had a similar connotation.
I dunno how much you believe TV can influence you, but its quite easy to influence the mass public with constant reports like these. The information gradually builds up in the sub-concious and before someone knows it, they're Anti-whatever.
As for Chinas media, they're definitely not perfect. China itself is not perfect and that's quite established. However like I said earlier, their reports cater to their own populace. They rather their media put their own spin on things rather than a media which doesn't have the best interests of China in mind.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#106 (permalink))
Old
Alvinho (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Alvinho
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I knew today that China government will not allow nudity and swear words as well as flags of countries that are not members of the games...also foreign bands will not be allowed to perform during the Games......tourists are forbidden to take photos with those Chinese umbrellas........how can I put up with such absurd?.....

In a communist country, there's one president who grabs all life's benefits, dozens of burocrats who drain tax payers' money and 8 million go through harsh starvation.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Alkindus (Offline)
JF Regular

say What?! - 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM

people seem to forget that China is huuuuuuuuuuuge.....1.3 billion people if I'm correct, over 56 'ethnicties etc.....America only has 300 million people, Europa 740+- if u count Russia and Turkey as Europa/

places like 'Chengdu' in China etc are like countries........cities with 30 million people living there........I live here in the Netherlands we are with 16 million.

I'm not going to defend what the Chinese governemnt has done and is doing, but you have to understand that it takes years and years before a country changes, especially such a ridiculous huge country like China...., look at what happened in the region from 1900 untill now, look at how many positive things happened there the last 15 years. they are changing rapidly.....they aren't the 'evil' regime they once were. they have become an extremely capitalist nation with more 'confucianistic' policies than communist policies.

btw, how come not even 5% of the world population (the US of A) has 25% of of the worlds prisoners? there are more people in Jail in the United states than in China and a shitload of other countries. look at up...........yourselves..25 % of the people in prison in the world are locked up in the US.

Are we forgetting that it is extremely hard for a muslim or someone with an arab name to even get into the United States for a holiday? people had to fill in if they eat halal etc muslims are single out etc bloody 90% of the people in Guantanomo bay etc are innocent, many people have been locked up and tortured for years just BECAUSE THEY WERE MUSLIM. over and over again.

I would rather live in Tibet than in Iraq or Afganistan right now.

screw both the Chinese and US governments.

all media is biased.............wether we are talking about Cnn or AJ, RTL or Canvas. just look at as many sources possible. I should throw a Buddha quote in here, about only judging/believing what u think is true etc.

point is that we should not fear China, we should fear ourselves and our hypocritical way of dealing with 'them'. we are living in the era of the aquarium........everyone can c the truth, they just have to look themselves..
(#108 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinho View Post
I knew today that China government will not allow nudity and swear words as well as flags of countries that are not members of the games...also foreign bands will not be allowed to perform during the Games......tourists are forbidden to take photos with those Chinese umbrellas........how can I put up with such absurd?.....
Since when is stopping nudity and swearing, an absurdity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkindus View Post
people seem to forget that China is huuuuuuuuuuuge.....1.3 billion people if I'm correct, over 56 'ethnicties etc.....America only has 300 million people, Europa 740+- if u count Russia and Turkey as Europa/

places like 'Chengdu' in China etc are like countries........cities with 30 million people living there........I live here in the Netherlands we are with 16 million.

I'm not going to defend what the Chinese governemnt has done and is doing, but you have to understand that it takes years and years before a country changes, especially such a ridiculous huge country like China...., look at what happened in the region from 1900 untill now, look at how many positive things happened there the last 15 years. they are changing rapidly.....they aren't the 'evil' regime they once were. they have become an extremely capitalist nation with more 'confucianistic' policies than communist policies.

btw, how come not even 5% of the world population (the US of A) has 25% of of the worlds prisoners? there are more people in Jail in the United states than in China and a shitload of other countries. look at up...........yourselves..25 % of the people in prison in the world are locked up in the US.

Are we forgetting that it is extremely hard for a muslim or someone with an arab name to even get into the United States for a holiday? people had to fill in if they eat halal etc muslims are single out etc bloody 90% of the people in Guantanomo bay etc are innocent, many people have been locked up and tortured for years just BECAUSE THEY WERE MUSLIM. over and over again.

I would rather live in Tibet than in Iraq or Afganistan right now.

screw both the Chinese and US governments.

all media is biased.............wether we are talking about Cnn or AJ, RTL or Canvas. just look at as many sources possible. I should throw a Buddha quote in here, about only judging/believing what u think is true etc.

point is that we should not fear China, we should fear ourselves and our hypocritical way of dealing with 'them'. we are living in the era of the aquarium........everyone can c the truth, they just have to look themselves..
Heh, nicely put. I'm sure I could argue with you about some points but I think you mean well.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 07-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.
(#109 (permalink))
Old
Alvinho (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Alvinho
07-23-2008, 06:42 PM

ok, Brit, forget about nudity...ok?...as for swear words, I'd agree with you if you said in situations just like medal solemnities, for instance....here in Brazil there were unpleasant situations when Panamerican Games were held....a bunch of fools booing American, Cuban, Argentine anthem during solemnities...

As for China's successful days it's tad easy to explain thanks to cynical partnership between liberals (liberals inside their pockets) and of course, commies....Never such partnership has been in evidence....

Those liberals set a harsh dictatorship regime in their factories and local commies ("chairmen" of proletarian paradise) provide them with employees to undergo slavery conditions (Marx and Engels would have too much to discuss about the proletariat conditions in China these days....)....hehehe

In a communist country, there's one president who grabs all life's benefits, dozens of burocrats who drain tax payers' money and 8 million go through harsh starvation.

Last edited by Alvinho : 07-23-2008 at 07:12 PM.
(#110 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
thats what im scared of, Australia is fucked if America goes down.
That's my fear too, except I don't care much for Aussieland but Europe

Quote:
WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE BECAUSE THE US FUCKED UP!!!! WE MADE ENIMIES EVERYWHERE!!!!
Untrue. No country wants trouble with the US though it's not cause Americans are looked up to, it's only cause they're scared of the consequences that might follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y
Since when is stopping nudity and swearing, an absurdity.
When were Governments given the right to decide upon one's way of dressing? o.Ô

everything is relative and contradictory ~