JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

China: New Superpower? - 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Discuss.

If China becomes the new world superpower is the world going to change? Im frightened
(#2 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 08:43 AM

The world is always changing... If China does become a "superpower" (depends on your definition, but i'd say it already is one), I don't see what you're frightened about! China is like any other country, it has good and bad people, it has good intentioned and evil members of the government, so I don't see what's so special/different about China being powerful.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Discuss.

If China becomes the new world superpower is the world going to change? Im frightened
Instead of putting the responsibility on other people to make this an interesting topic by opening with the word "Discuss", why don't you give your opinion on China.

It was important enough to you to open a new thread, so I want to hear your opinions first.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

07-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Im most concerned (Maybe for no reason) about clashing cultures eastern and western, if China becomes the new superpower of the world (Im talking about taking over America as the most powerful) are they going to flex those Chinese muscles and show there new found dominance to change the world for better/worse. are world Alliances going to change? America is not the most popular country they may be shunned who knows, i said "Discuss" as theres millions of points one could think about without picking out just 1 point and talking about it, id like to leave it up to the people posting.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 08:59 AM

I think you'll find that chinese culture is more western then you think...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Im most concerned (Maybe for no reason) about clashing cultures eastern and western, if China becomes the new superpower of the world (Im talking about taking over America as the most powerful) are they going to flex those Chinese muscles and show there new found dominance to change the world for better/worse. are world Alliances going to change? America is not the most popular country they may be shunned who knows, i said "Discuss" as theres millions of points one could think about without picking out just 1 point and talking about it, id like to leave it up to the people posting.
China has no interest in making the world a better place.

China is more populated than America, but certainly not as influential.

Is China doing things to make the world a better place? To be honest, no. They are desperately trying to make the country ready for the Olymipics in three weeks, so they have banned car-usage on thier citizens until the Olympics are over. Have you ever heard of that before?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:02 AM

Even if China becomes a "superpower" there are a few reasons not to be afraid. I understand your fear. But, china is full of several cultural groups of people and it is very difficult for china to gain support of all these groups. Throughout history China has been thwarted in some of thier aims because of lack of support from the populace. Also, although they own a lot of the debt of the western countries (mostly America) they gain all thier income and power from us buying all thier shit. If they rub the world wrong and loose out business they are sunk.

It's been said that america has lost direction and focus because they no longer have a Commie rival. All the western countries have become full of soft, debt-ridden, pleasure seeking people who think the world is all about rainbows and that everything will be fine if you just talk to people an "get out your message." Maybe a new challenger will light a fire under our asses and give us a reason to buckle down.

And lastly, joshaussie, you change your avatar more often than I change my underwear.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
China has no interest in making the world a better place.

China is more populated than America, but certainly not as influential.

Is China doing things to make the world a better place? To be honest, no. They are desperately trying to make the country ready for the Olymipics in three weeks, so they have banned car-usage on thier citizens until the Olympics are over. Have you ever heard of that before?
Why should china concern themselves with making the world a better place when they haven't even solved all their own issues? But if you want to be really specific, then why don't we mention the fact that China is trying to help the Afghan government train profesionals in economics, law etc.

China not as influential as the US?... this response goes for what Paul11 said also. You do realise that if china were to stop producing their "shit", most of us would be in the dark ages. The matter of fact is; China produces well over 80% of our consumer goods. And I'm talking about the middle class citizen. If you're rich, of course you can afford things made in your home country costing more than 10 times. So, I'd say that without China, we would be pretty f-ed. But without the US, I don't see us being in as much trouble. The US, like UK, is mainly services, finance, which of course are very important, but far easier to sort out than losing a country that produces everything for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Even if China becomes a "superpower" there are a few reasons not to be afraid. I understand your fear. But, china is full of several cultural groups of people and it is very difficult for china to gain support of all these groups. Throughout history China has been thwarted in some of thier aims because of lack of support from the populace. Also, although they own a lot of the debt of the western countries (mostly America) they gain all thier income and power from us buying all thier shit. If they rub the world wrong and loose out business they are sunk.
It's been said that america has lost direction and focus because they no longer have a Commie rival. All the western countries have become full of soft, debt-ridden, pleasure seeking people who think the world is all about rainbows and that everything will be fine if you just talk to people an "get out your message." Maybe a new challenger will light a fire under our asses and give us a reason to buckle down.

And lastly, joshaussie, you change your avatar more often than I change my underwear.
Like I said above, if you (western countries) were to stop buying chinese goods, prepare yourself to enter the dark ages.

Last edited by noodle : 07-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:18 AM

China are already a super power have been for quite a while. Other super powers and the combined powers of other countries are there to oppose them if they did anything(which i doubt they would) so they wouldn't do anything. What we should really be worried about is religious extremists with biological weapons/nukes/chemical weapons. For example if aum shinrikyo had waited and made more chemical weapons and done a co-ordinated attack on many major cities subway stations they could have killed tens of thousands of people. (They had enough chemicals to make enough sarin to kill a couple million people). BUt luckily religious extremists aren't normally this tactical as they are not normally sane enough to think ahead to do more damage especially since even small attacks cause massive impact.

「人は生れながら自由で 、しかもいたるところで鎖に縛られている」
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Why should china concern themselves with making the world a better place when they haven't even solved all their own issues? But if you want to be really specific, then why don't we mention the fact that China is trying to help the Afghan government train profesionals in economics, law etc.

China not as influential as the US?... this response goes for what Paul11 said also. You do realise that if china were to stop producing their "shit", most of us would be in the dark ages. The matter of fact is; China produces well over 80% of our consumer goods. And I'm talking about the middle class citizen. If you're rich, of course you can afford things made in your home country costing more than 10 times. So, I'd say that without China, we would be pretty f-ed. But without the US, I don't see us being in as much trouble. The US, like UK, is mainly services, finance, which of course are very important, but far easier to sort out than losing a country that produces everything for us.

Like I said above, if you (western countries) were to stop buying chinese goods, prepare yourself to enter the dark ages.

Yes and no. Enough fear and hassle and we could make stuff again. American's usually don't do anything till the last moment, then get off thier duffs and get the job done. The relationship between China and the U.S. is symbiotic. They get many of thier raw materiels from us, we buy thier stuff, they provide it. We can't do without each other in the global economy. We could make stuff if pushed so far, but we buy a huge percentage of what they sell. They need us.